Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 spindles, legacy struts, wrong bolts?!

baccaruda

OK, the front end of my wagon HAD:

XT6 calipers

legacy spindles

Legacy spindle-to-strut bolts

legacy struts (new GR2s).

The XT6 calipers don't fit on the legacy spindles, so I switched and now have:

XT6 calipers

XT6 spindles

Legacy spindle-to-strut bolts

Legacy struts (new GR2s)

The legacy spindle-to-strut bolts are too large for the strut mount holes in the top of the XT6 spindle.

Should I:

*have the holes in the top of the spindle enlarged?

*use smaller XT6 bolts and use external toothed lockwashers to keep the struts from dislocating (as they're made to accept larger bolts)?

*get different struts (NOT eager to explore this option as I believe others have used legacy struts on XT6 spindles so why can't I?)

ARGH. thanks.

sounds like the problem everyone runs into when mixing oldschool with newschool for 5 lug, or upgrades. the XT6 didnt have camber adjustment as far as i know so you need to enlarge the XT6 knuckle to accept the legacy or impreza eccentric bolt on top and the normal bolt on bottom (dont know if XT6 bottom bolt will slip into legacy strut) if you are trying to keep the front e-brake you HAVE to use the XT6 front stuff. after doing my 5-lug i would reccomend using impreza stuff, i was toild this and didnt pay much mind to it. so im telling you you should use the impreza front suspension stuff if you go 5 lug. if you want to keep your front e-brake like i wanted (key word...past tense) you go XT6 front stuff. however, aparently the rear caliper for a 240sx is a direct fit (you might have a slight modification for it to fit.) for the EA rear discs. i am more than likely going this route sometime in the future. i absolutely hate the front e-brake crap.......hate.

~Josh~

I had been planning to keep the E-brake in front, because I don't care whether it's in the front or back, and I need to get the car driveable again before I do any more reengineering of it. Although it seems that's a neverending process :P

I really don't want to drive it without an E-brake, but at this rate I might just do that and put the Legacy spindles back on and get some Legacy calipers from the parts yard. When in doubt, procrastinate.

if you want to do this right, and not want to do it twice, use impreza front stuff, or legacy.......how did you get the legacy knuckles into the EA lower control arm? what ball joint did you use? i might actually "redo" my 5 lug, i dont like that fact that i have 2.5 degrees of positive camber up front. if you use the impreza front stuff, i dont think you will have that problem.

P.S. reason i have so much pos. camber is because thats what happens when you do 5-lug and dont lower your car.....but i think impreza stuff has a different strut bolt orientation than the XT6 front stuff.

~Josh~

Oh, I have XT6 control arms on the car. I drilled out the crossmember to receive the larger bolts. The ball joints are the same for XT6 or for 1990 Legacy (the donor).

I'm going to slip the struts over the XT6 knuckles and see how things line up, and if they line up well, then I'm going to get a quote for having the holes in the XT6 knuckles milled out. I expect that to be $40 or (probably) less, but I may just put the Legacy knuckles on the front and go e-brake-less for now.

Oh, I have XT6 control arms on the car. I drilled out the crossmember to receive the larger bolts. The ball joints are the same for XT6 or for 1990 Legacy (the donor).

I'm going to slip the struts over the XT6 knuckles and see how things line up, and if they line up well, then I'm going to get a quote for having the holes in the XT6 knuckles milled out. I expect that to be $40 or (probably) less, but I may just put the Legacy knuckles on the front and go e-brake-less for now.

I have no ebrake right now in my RX because I do plan on upgrading to a rear ebrake. It might be easiest and cheapest solution Andy, just put the Legacy knuckles and whatnot back into it so it can be driveable. You should be fine with no ebrake unless you park on nice steep hills...

screw the front e-brake, i hate it. i wish i would have used the legacy/impreza front stuff for my swap. i only didnt because i was unsure if the impreza balljoint would fit into the XT6 control arm, but since they do, i might have to make a trip to the JY and swap out some items. not to mention i have 2.5 degrees of positive camber, which makes for horrible on-road cornering. and dont even get me started with the grind down the XT6 knuckle and sandwich the impreza strut onto it crap...........

~Josh~

The reason I went the way I did (Impreza front suspension/brakes/axles) was because of the upgradable parts I can get for it. Granted I had to convert to a rear ebrake but that was no issue for me, I was just looking for bigger/better parts that wouldn't break when I started showing them abuse. Also, with the Impreza front knuckles and struts, I now have a way to adjust the camber BEFORE I touch the camber plates. The two bolts that bolt the strut to the knuckle are the camber adjustment for the stock Impreza so even if I went lifted, I could adjust the camber a little bit, granted its not much.

That and rear ebraked RX's are sooooo much cooler

So what i'm gleaning from this thread, is that it will be hard to use the Forrester struts with the XT-6 knuckles?

I may drill out my top two bolt holes so i can adjust my camber, cause that would be wicked awesome.

As for the front ebrake, except for power sliding, its better in every way, it actually stops the car, unlike every other ebrake on the market

So what i'm gleaning from this thread, is that it will be hard to use the Forrester struts with the XT-6 knuckles?

I may drill out my top two bolt holes so i can adjust my camber, cause that would be wicked awesome.

As for the front ebrake, except for power sliding, its better in every way, it actually stops the car, unlike every other ebrake on the market

Impreza/legacy/forester struts are easy to use with the xt6 spindle... you need to do the following: Grind about an 1/8" off the thickness of the spindle part where the strut bolts to. Get 2 beefy bolts, exactly the size of the hole in the spindle. Bolt it on, use lock washers! You'll be good to go.

dont even get me started with the grind down the XT6 knuckle and sandwich the impreza strut onto it crap...........

~Josh~

I see it as a good excuse to get a bench vise. I can either spend the $ on that or spend more at a machine shop to have it done there. I can just spend an hour on it before work in the morning until it's done.

if i convert my XT Turbo to 5 lug - i'll have this camber issue?

i've swapped hubs, struts, axles, ball joints, control arms on my XT6's without ever getting an alignment and i've never had uneven tire wear or pulling so i'm not familiar with these kind of issues.

will i get bad tire wear with this 2.5 degree camber issue you're mentioning on the XT Turbo?