Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to find a rebuilt EA82? Price?

The EA82 SPFI engine in my '89 gl wagon is dying... it needs a TON of work. Rather than go through the details and fix everything, I just want to replace it with a rebuilt engine and be done with it. I really dont have the time to go through it myself... it'd take days to fix the problems, verses one day to swap the problem out.

I'm in / around Portland, Oregon... I've been asking around and searching online looking for rebuilt EA82's, but havent found any good deals. Where should I go to buy a rebuilt EA82? does anyone know of a good engine rebuilder in my area? I have another running vehicle so downtime isnt really an issue. How much cash should I budget? Searching online... I've seen the prices vary between $550 and $2200.

A used, mid-mileage engine with no bad habits (oil-leaks / coolant consumption) would also be acceptable... if the price is right.

Thanks in advance!

CheckCCR´s website.

holding my toung on that one.:mad:

for a low budget job a low mileage replacement that has been resealed may be the most cost effective.

when you say your motor needs a ton of work what exaxtly do you mean? you may need to do other repairs at the same time. such as radiator replacement, distributor repair/replace, tune up parts, filters, hoses, belts, clutch ect. keep all that in mind when figuring the costs.

Thanks for the replies.

I've already done the clutch. the radiator is fine for now... its old and beat-up, but it doesnt leak. I've changed all of the filters, the thermostat, and pcv valve, the hoses and belts are fine (though i havent checked the timing belt and have no idea when it (they) was replaced last, so those are due as far as im concerned). plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap are all new. the only other thing that i can think of is to replace the oxygen sensor.

the problems:

probable head gasket (the engine has a coolant habit and white smoke comes out the tail pipe when the engine is cold)

oil leaks... EVERYWHERE! I replaced the rear main seal, only to discover that both valve covers are leaking.

If I do decide to re-seal it, where could I find a gasket kit and how much would it cost?

I sent an email to CCR for a price quote... no reply as of yet.

Thanks again!

price depends if you go with cheap or subaru OEM gaskets. you're looking at $50 starting price for a gasket set. that doesn't include timing belts, water pump or oil pump seals. that can all be had for another $50 or more. head gasket job usually include milling the heads as well.

If you Really want to Change your engine anyway... Why don`t you think in put it on a More Powerful EJ Engine? like the EJ20 or 22 or Something? Maybe you can find a good cheap one at the JunkYard, and buy the Adaptor to the Trans.

Also: I personally preffer to Rebuild the Engine than change it.

Good Luck! :)