Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Give me details on a XT turbo please.

Do XT turbos have rear disk brakes?

Do XT turbos have a LSD, if so is it going to be a 3.7?

Do XT turbos have AWD, 4WD or either?

How hard is it to fix a striped head bolt on an XT turbo? Keeping in mind I've taken a few heads off of an EA81, pulled a few engines out of different cars, changed two gearboxes, and I have just about all of the tools for any job. I also have an above normal workshop to do everything in.

How hard?

in order as you asked it:

yes

not likely. Maybe it was an option but not that I know of

some had FT 4wd (which had a diff lock switch) and some had PT 4wd (push button 4wd)

Stripped head bolt :eek: I'd say use a helicoil for it...but I really don't know what else to say.

If you have an old EA81 block kicking around, you can pull a head stud and use it as a bolt. When you put it in, be sure to use 282 Loctite. After it sets, use a dye to bring the threads down far enough, cut off to length and remove the dye. You should be able to get the 50 ft.lbs no problem. Good luck.

that looks like they covered everything right to me.

XT Turbo is unlikely to have an LSD, but it will be a 3.7 final drive.

on the head bolts, helicoil would work great, but drilling straight and not into something you don't want to would be risky i think. a good drill press would be nice if you can pull the block.

i'd think a long stud idea would work like he said. if you could source a bolt the same thread and material as a head bolt (it's a 1.25 pitch thread), locktite it in place and it should hold a nut.

if you're pulling the motor, taking the block to a machine shop might be the best bet. they'd fix it perfect for $50. that's what i would do, i've messed up drilling into stuff before on much shorter bolts too.

this is the first time i think i've seen this on the boards or know of anyone that has had this on here or xt6.net.

just make sure to use a bottle brush and plenty of brake cleaner before trying to lock a stud in the hole. I would personally use JB weld, you know it will stay, probably forever. You can warm up the JB and it will flow into all the cracks and allow the air to escape past the threads when you screw it into the block

I have found something I loke much better than the run of the mil helicoil.. I had 2-3 od my head bolt holes strip when I was prepping my block..

These things are the shiz..

www.timesert.com

Drilling the holes (helicoil or timesert) can be easily accomplished without a press if you have a steady hand.

I used the timeserts in all 18 head bolt holes. The size and pitch is 11x1.25. The 28mm inserts fit quite well.

Just found out that it is only FWD. So that makes it a worth a little less to me. I haven't bought the car yet, just interested. If I do buy it its either a 20 hour drive to get it or organise shipping of it. I'm not 100% sure if I want it yet. I wonder how much I can bargin with the guy... We'll see.

So far all I will get out of the car is Rear disk brakes for my car. Turbo'd engine for my car. And some really sweet alloy wheels. I'll report back once I'd made up my mind. Pitty its only FWD, I had almost decided to get it and then I found out that...

Will the rear disks also work out of a FWD car onto my 4WD Brat??

Thanks waimaks, I think I have you in my MSN, maybe we should have a chat sometime.

Thanks for the help guys!

I doubt that the 2wd rear disks will work on a 4wd (i may be wrong)

Pitty that you arn't though.... :(

I decided not to get the car as the rear disks will not work on my Brat.

So on to the next idea for more power.. I'll tell you at the moment it requires lots of modding and it will include my EA81DC motor, without the two carbs.... I'll post more about the idea latter, when things start to happen.