Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We have an '05 outback wagon 2.5 turbo that we've driven for about 2 months now. Due to my advanced years (maybe I'm a little smarter now) I haven't pushed the car too much. I have hit 80 mph and there seems to be plenty left, so I was wondering what the top end might be for an unmodified 2.5 turbo. Any ideas anyone?? :brow: I'd love to have the car out west where I could let it go, but on the east coast it's harder to do. Thanks.

We have an '05 outback wagon 2.5 turbo that we've driven for about 2 months now. Due to my advanced years (maybe I'm a little smarter now) I haven't pushed the car too much. I have hit 80 mph and there seems to be plenty left, so I was wondering what the top end might be for an unmodified 2.5 turbo. Any ideas anyone?? :brow: I'd love to have the car out west where I could let it go, but on the east coast it's harder to do. Thanks.[/quote

My 91 turbo sedan (2.2) is rated at 129mph top speed, although I haven't been near that speed, it feels like it could do every bit of that, so the 2.5 turbo with more HP, it seems would at least be that fast, but I don't really know.

Mike

i've read that an impreza can pull 140 something... with a 2.2L but that's just something i've read.. not sure it's validity

Paul Harvey of ABC news radio did a story awhile back of a Police chase with a Subaru doing 140mph (didn't mention the model although I assume it to have been a WRX/Sti). I think the stock 250hp turbo in the legacy is capable of that (the speedo gauge is marked up to 160mph if that means anything). Of course, the aerodymics and stability would be something to worry about if the car is not set up for those speeds (especially an Outback with all that air going underneath that ground clearance, the GT would be better). And dont forget the always possible wheel bearing or tire malfunction at that speed - good night nurse.

Someone here must know what the WRX is capable of. I be interested to find out what the stock H6 could do also.

EDIT UPDATE:

Well, a google search once again led me to cars101 website, check this link out, go all the way to the bottom of the page. There is a reference for the 05/06 2.5 Turbo GT maxing at 136mph being electronically limited:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2005.html

See also:

http://www.modernracer.com/subarulegacygt.html

Other searches for the H6 puts its limit at 151mph or 243km/h

In any case, that should be enough to get you to the airport on time.... ;)

:headbang:I had my '06 Baja Turbo up tp 110 mph last week. Felt like it had a lot left, but had to get off of it as I started to approach traffic and didn't feel comfortable driving that fast around other drivers. It's one thing if I crash and hurt myself, but I'm not going to risk the safety of other drivers!

Anyone know if these vehicles have speed limiters and what speed they top out at? My last truck was a Dakota, and it was limited to 115 mph, then the speed limiter would kick in.

Spacinjason

PAezb,

I'm old enough that I realize my mortality and other peoples' could be an issue. That's one reason I haven't pushed it. In a previous life I had an 80's Toyota Corolla 5 speed that could do 115. But that was many moons ago.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I had the speed-o in my STi reading 155 a few times, and it was really sad how little it seemed to take to get there. I've had the 05 GT up to 110 and it seemed to have a lot more, but nothing like the STi. I would imagine 136 is pushing it anyway, but I also have the 5spd Auto which will make some difference.

Keith

PS - of course this was all done on closed roads or tracks

I'd love to have the car out west where I could let it go, but on the east coast it's harder to do. Thanks.

Believe it or not, out here in the west we have speed limits too. Like I tell my children, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

although there are more flat, straight, and open freeways.

I lived in Montana when there was no speed limit. it was neat.

I'd say 140 would be easy and it would start getting harder towards 150. I just saw a hp/top speed chart for an STi too. I wonder where it went.