Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grrrrrr.....

I was driving through town this afternoon and a kid in his SUV was trying to make a left turn through traffic onto the road from a McDonald's and didn't see me coming in the left lane. Because of my Jedi-like reflexes, I almost avoided the crash and should be thankful because it could have been a worse wreck. But, still, the hassle of dealing with insurance companies is a major pain in the butt, especially in a no-fault state. Still, it was obviously his fault, so I hope there's no headache with his insurance company. Anyway, I managed to get away with only this damage to my 95 LSi wagon:

DSCF5711b.JPG

No damage to my rear door, but it did put a crease in the gas lid and chipped the edge clean off the taillight. No evidence of contact to the tire/wheel. Seems to drive okay.

Here's my question: Even though there was no apparant contact to the wheel and the hit wasn't a direct hit to the car, I'm assuming the car's alignment will probably need readjusted or at least checked. My Subaru is the first car I have owned that has the rear aligned. Should I expect to have to make the insurance company include an alignment in their estimate, or do you think they will include that on their own?

I'm curious to see what the estimate ends up being--both from his insurance adjuster and from the shops I go to. It's all labor fees, as nothing unbolts and is easily replaced like a fender. The guy was a 16 yr old and I felt sorry for him even though it was his fault. Someone had left a gap for him to pull out and motioned for him to go ahead. He wasn't driving like a yahoo or anything. No one was hurt, so I didn't get at all angry and even told his mom not to fuss at him when she showed up at the scene. I can repair this and still keep the ol' Sube going strong...

Someone had left a gap for him to pull out and motioned for him to go ahead.

Happens all the time. We had one happen nearby today that involved 3 vehicles and 6 passengers, one of which that was a child that was EJECTED from one of the vehicles. It is beyond me why people keep doing this (as well as falling for it) "good deed" as a motorist.

As to your Subaru, doesn't appear that the rear suspension would be damaged if the collision didn't completely spin you out. Were the road surface wet even less of a chance of damage. Even still, I'd strongly suggest to the adjuster to figure an alignment in the settlement.

Yeah, I was lucky I didn't get more damage to my car. I was impressed at how nimble the Sube was. I went from one second having this big SUV right in front, coming at me three-quarter, to a split second later just getting clipped on the rear quarter.

Any of you dealt with an insurance claim recently? My last time was a couple years ago and the car was totaled, so there wasn't any talk of repair. My Legacy is a '95. I'm assuming the adjuster will figure in having this quarter panel cut out and a replacement one welded in, but since the car is 11 yrs old I didn't know if they'd try to assume a Bondo job instead...

Yeah, I was lucky I didn't get more damage to my car. I was impressed at how nimble the Sube was. I went from one second having this big SUV right in front, coming at me three-quarter, to a split second later just getting clipped on the rear quarter.

Any of you dealt with an insurance claim recently? My last time was a couple years ago and the car was totaled, so there wasn't any talk of repair. My Legacy is a '95. I'm assuming the adjuster will figure in having this quarter panel cut out and a replacement one welded in, but since the car is 11 yrs old I didn't know if they'd try to assume a Bondo job instead...

You are legally entilted to have your car restored to it's precrash condition. That means a new fender, not bondo. The aggrieved party has a legal right to be "made whole".

Possibly a little OT but, this is gonna be a continuing problem. many teen's first car is a hand-me-down from a parent. The popularity of SUVs means inexperienced drivers will be operating some of the largest vehicles made!

I (as most of you) have been in and seen situations where someone is 'spotting' for someone else and indeed it is one of the most hazardous regular behaviors I see.

That damage looks like $1800 +/- $500 but I really don't know - just basing it on some damage my neighbor did to my middle daughter's Nissan a coupla years ago.

good luck

Carl

what you deserve and are entitled to and what you will get offered are different things. insurance companies don't pad profits by paying out as much as possible. they typically short change you. your best bet is to go to the hospital and get a lawyer. not that i've done it, but that is the easy way to get your car fixed properly if you don't have the persistence and aggressiveness to persue something like this yourself. attorneys carry clout and are a liability to an insurance company - an individual has niether of these to leverage.

you can get whatever you want. the more aggressive and demanding you are, the more you'll get out of them. this is assuming it's your fault.

good luck, hope they offer you something fair. i'd look for replacement, it's a good car that could last another 10 years. a cheap fix wouldn't be my choice. if you don't plan on having it for much longer then it might not be worth it to you to bother with that.

See if the kids insurance will cover a rental.

Insurance companies hate paying for one, and will keep after whoever ends up fixing the car to get it done quick.

Have a repair shop, of your choice do the repairs..........insurance companies will try and "steer" you to a repair shop that will cut corners to keep the insurance companies business.

If they try and total it.............tell them to find you a replacement for the kind of money they are willing to pay..........be persistant.

See a doctor................just in case! Are you at all sore from this?

swi66

Someone had left a gap for him to pull out and motioned for him to go ahead.

Happens all the time.

That's attempted murder.

I almost bought the farm on a Kawasaki H2 once when some clueless, thoughtless, brainless, hairless, jerkoff motioned that it was OK for a third party to pull directly into my path.

Have a repair shop, of your choice do the repairs..........insurance companies will try and "steer" you to a repair shop that will cut corners to keep the insurance companies business.

The last time I dealt with an insurance company paying for damage to a car of mine was about 10 years ago. Their quote was generated by the adjuster and was lower than the two shops I had taken my wife's car to. It was funny, because their "repair estimate" was just from a computer database and not from an actual repair shop. I kept annoying them when we sat down at their office by asking repeatedly if I could call the shop who gave them the lower estimate and discuss the repair they were going to do. The lady would roll her eyes and explain to me again that the repair wasn't from an actual shop, the whole time thinking I was too dumb to understand and totally missing the satire I was tossing her way. They tore up that check and handed me another one for more. I handed it back to her and showed her on paper how it was $12 short. She glared at me "You honestly want me to get a new check for $12 more made out?" I said yep.

If they try and total it.............tell them to find you a replacement for the kind of money they are willing to pay..........be persistant.

I doubt there's enough damage to total it out. Of course, I have no idea what the labor charges would come to. If they tried to total it they'd have to work it for me to keep the car because there's no way I'm finding a wagon as nice as this one around here. Besides, I'll probably end up doing the body and paint work myself. I'm just glad I didn't strip the car last summer and get it a brand new paint job like I had considered.

I was sitting in my wagon as we waited for the police to come to the scene thinking "Wow, I'm so glad I hadn't bought my Baja yet." :)

Have you ever heard insurance companies that offer drive through claims adjusting? Bring the car to them and they will cut you a check!

Others advertise "instant" claims settlement.

All sounds good............right!

Until you try and get someone to accept what the insurance company gives you...........good luck with that!

And then, what about "hidden" damage! Damage that doesn't show up untill you get into the job...........then you are screwed!

My 98 Postal Legacy was ran into by a lady that shouldn't have been driving anymore. This was when it was 6 months old!

Front facia, left fender, damage to both doors, quarter panel and rear facia...........not to mention spindle, axel, wheel, tire, wheelcover etc.........Immediately after the accident there was no power in the car.

During the repairs it was found that the rack was bad..........there was not one replacement in the US! 6 weeks to get one shipped from Japan while the insurance company provided a rental. And they were having fits because my wife was using it to deleiver mail!

Then they replaced the computer, then the underhood wiring harness, then the underdash wiring harness to get it to run...........another 3 weeks..........and several other "extra" pieces that were not in the original estimate................

Ask your estimator as well about "Diminished Value" of the vehicle now that it has been in an accident. You should be compensated for that as well because I guarantee you there is a value set at trade in time on a car that has been wrecked.............

swi66

if you aren't a lawyer, get one. i was involved in a car wreck in aug of 02. woman hits me as i was stopped at a red light, then she drives away. found her the next day. she had no insurance. had to sue my insurance company to collect on the uninsured motorist coverage. they settled with me last month for 65k. not nearly enough imho, but better than nothing and oh yes btw, the lawyer took 22k. still left me with 41k with which i bought a new 05 xt limited obw 5eat. no i did not pay 41k for the subie, i got a great deal of only 25k. i love this car. there is no one in this world except your mom who will look out for your rights, so get a lawyer and sue that kid back to the stone age.

Mt 1998 Legacy was hit while parked. What i thought was a 150.00 repair was actually 1500.00. If the insurance company has a "prefered" body shop, take it to them (of course check them out with the BBB first). The prefered shop here was well known, and they handled the estimate, all the paperwork, and not one thin dime came out of my pocket. The body shop even arranged for and paid the rental.

Now if you want to talk about the nightmare im going through with Travelers, when the same car got rear ended the following july and totaled the following July ....

It really all depends upon the insurance company and the who is at fault weather its a easy ride or you have to call out the hounds.

nipper