Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield cracks: only gets you flagged if it is in your line of sight. Pass side=ok.

TINT!!!!!!: this is not an inspection issue this is a vehicle code issue. Unless your inspection mechanic is a cop you can not get nailed for it. Period end of discussion. When I was in my Inspection class I specifically asked about this more than once.

If people would take care of their stuff..maybe things would be different. Who knows.

Whoever said about 2x a year inspections....they still do them but not to cars and trucks. Think rollbacks (the ones that are bigger than the glorified pickups) and up in size. The one I drive at work is like this...man does that suck :-\

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thourough inspection is a good thing. Many cars don't deserve to be on the road. The place that I take my car to checks all the important things, brakes, tie rods tires, ball joints, shocks, wiper operation (front only), lights and horn. They let me pass even with a nasty scratch in the windshield left by the wiper arm when the PO had the blade fall off. They knew that I had 80lbs of steel in the smugglers hatch in the back and another 60 in the spare tire up front to get the bumpers down to the 20" level. The guy said, "If the state comes, I can truthfully say that it was at the right level when I saw it. That's all I care about."

and on my street you could find at least five unsafe cars. A ball joint fell out of a late model pickup the other day and was towed in. The oversized rims and tires probably did not help that one.

Inspections are not all that bad an idea but they should be rational. If people were perfect cars would be well maintained, but I don't think that is going to happen.

What bothers me is all these people that have decent jobs, homes, and food on the table, and they still let thier cars fall to crap. I am homeless, I live in my Subaru, and I would bet that my Emily would pass (easily) any safety inspection she was put to. (well, she would pass easier after I put the AGX struts in. . .). I don't let my car go to pieces, as I depend on her too much. If someone looses it in front of me, I want to know that I can avoid them.

Looking at this, all saftey equipment must work. Saftey equipmnet is what holds the car together, aids in stability, visability, and control. Rear wiper is visability, as some cars have windowsthat a bear to see through. The factory thought it was necassary as a saftey item.

Tinted windows are a saftey item, but not in the way you think. Police hate tinted windows, hence why its on the fail list. They cant see how manyt passengers are in the car or where thier hands are if the tint is too dark. Technically the headlight/tail light covers are illegal, but i've yet to see anyone fail on them.

It has always shocked me how sometimes on this list that people would argue with me how driving on a bald tire is safe.

State inspections don't always guarentee the car is safe. IN NY the brake inspection is only required to pull one front wheel. not all four.

A car is a peice of heavy equipment, and can easily be lethal at as little as 15mph to a pedestrian. State inspections are even more important now that cars are getting very high mileage intervals between oil changes. When an oil change was 3000 miles, in theory the car got a mini inspection every time it whne on the lift. Now with jiffy lubes, and long intervals a car can go a very long time without being looked at.

nipper

I like CO's inspections. They just check to make sure all pollution control equipment works. They check the gas cap seal, and stick funnels over your tailpipes and measure the stuff coming out.

They used to fail for warning lights being on, but now they just tell you about it and let you go through.

There no car safety inspection in MN. And I think its wrong, cause so many people drive with only one headlight, busted turn signals, bald tires etc...

Also too many cars have headlights blinding other drivers. Don't know if they fail people for misaligned headlights in other states, but they certainly should.

Wait a minute.. If the heated seats don't work, it fails inspection? If the radio doesn't work, it fails inspection? If one of the vanity mirror light bulbs is burned out, it fails inspection? Now that's retarded... :banghead:

no, you're retarded to interpreting what we've said like that.

all emissions and safety equiptment installed from the factory must be present and functioning.

cats

muffler

exhaust must dump outside the car

evap system

correct size battery

all suspension components

headlights

fog lights

turn signals

reverse lights

brake lights (including 3rd)

wiper blades

horn

washer fluid pump

tires must have more than 2/32nds

brake pads must be more than 2b or 1r

discs must be within spec stated on the rotor

spidering cracks in windshield fail

complete hole in windshield fails

anything in the line of sight fails

no obtrusive rear window stickers

nothing below the specified line your windshield

that's most of it...the important stuff anyway.

I like CO's inspections. They just check to make sure all pollution control equipment works. They check the gas cap seal, and stick funnels over your tailpipes and measure the stuff coming out.

They used to fail for warning lights being on, but now they just tell you about it and let you go through.

look, it's a pain in the arse to get an inspection. my wife's is overdue after today actually because i havn't had time to take it in. but there's no arguing that strict state inspections keep more cars safe than in states without inspections. Period.

this is a board members RX now sitting in my driveway. the rear wheels are collapsed in due to rust and the wheels are resting on the inner fender well.

they are mighty picky though with inspections...funny thing, this car passed inspection last year!?!?

post-6800-136027607352_thumb.jpg

no, you're retarded to interpreting what we've said like that.

all emissions and safety equiptment installed from the factory must be present and functioning.

cats

muffler

exhaust must dump outside the car

evap system

correct size battery

all suspension components

headlights

fog lights

turn signals

reverse lights

brake lights (including 3rd)

wiper blades

horn

washer fluid pump

tires must have more than 2/32nds

brake pads must be more than 2b or 1r

discs must be within spec stated on the rotor

Someone made the point earlier, how can something be required to work when it is optional equipment from model to model. Many cars do not come with fog lights. Obviously those cars are safe to drive on the road. Just because mine has fog lights, why should they have to work? They are not truely a safety item, but instead an option item. Safety things SHOULD BE anything that must be installed on the car to meet federal guidelines. Front wipers, high and low beam head lights, tail lights, turn signals. All the stuff that is on every car.

So I'm gonna ask this because you're spewing fourth a lot of stuff. Are you a PA lisenced inspection agent? Subeman90 has already stated that he is.

Spidering cracks in the windsheild to the best of my knowledge pass. The only thing that fails are large chips or cracks in the drivers line of sight. (yes complete holes through both layers fail no matter what) I ought to know since I have one on the right most edge of mine and it just passed, and my father drove with one across most of the very bottom of his windsheild for about 2 years and it passed. If you are right then I'm very suprised that I got my car passed.

Rear window stickers? Now, I know truck rules are different, but most cargo vans don't even have rear windows. I've seen lots of people drive around with tons of crap on their rear window. I've got no experience with this, but I've never heard of it before.

Someone made the point earlier, how can something be required to work when it is optional equipment from model to model. Many cars do not come with fog lights. Obviously those cars are safe to drive on the road. Just because mine has fog lights, why should they have to work? They are not truely a safety item, but instead an option item. Safety things SHOULD BE anything that must be installed on the car to meet federal guidelines. Front wipers, high and low beam head lights, tail lights, turn signals. All the stuff that is on every car.

because there can't be if's. i understand your point and agree with you. but if you get into variables it confuses things. it's just easier to say "if you bought it that way, it's gotta stay that way."

also, sorry for the double post, but the fog lights have to turn off when the high beams turn on. i think that's more important then them actually working.

So I'm gonna ask this because you're spewing fourth a lot of stuff. Are you a PA lisenced inspection agent? Subeman90 has already stated that he is.

Spidering cracks in the windsheild to the best of my knowledge pass.

Rear window stickers? Now, I know truck rules are different, but most cargo vans don't even have rear windows. I've seen lots of people drive around with tons of crap on their rear window. I've got no experience with this, but I've never heard of it before.

no, i'm not an inspection mechanic, though i worked at an inspection station for 2 1/2 years as an assistant to the head inspection tech. But i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

yeah, the rear window rule (as far as a i know) goes for cars. pickups vans and suvs are expemt i beleive. we've scraped many stickers off of rear windows before because they were either too big, in the center of the window, or otherwise.

But i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:lol:

The thing with the Fog lights turning off never made sense to me. They are a low wide beam, and that is why they aren't legal as low beams. Their only use is to cut under fog and with high beams on they become useless in that manner, but why would they really need to turn off? I've never understood that one.

:lol:

The thing with the Fog lights turning off never made sense to me. They are a low wide beam, and that is why they aren't legal as low beams. Their only use is to cut under fog and with high beams on they become useless in that manner, but why would they really need to turn off? I've never understood that one.

yeah, i dunno. i guess it's because if you pass someone on a dark road and accidentally forget to turn off the highs then that's a lot of light going into the passsing car.

i made my hellas only turn on with the highs. i figure if i need enough light to use the hellas, i also need the high beams, that way if i'm using them (un-legally) i can flip the high beam lever and turn off the hellas at the same time.

If it is a light on the car it must work. Think of a F-250 or the like with running lights on the top of the cab to give the x-mas tree effect. They all need to work even though they are not factory. If present, they need to be functioning. Oh and front wipers, high and low beams, tail lights, turn signals aren't on every vehicle. I could take my friends 66 Honda dream and get it inspected as it doesn't have turnsignals but it was an option in 66 for 'em. It'll still pass in PA. Just need to use hand signals. There are provisions for vehicles that were made before some of this stuff was required but in reality most have already gone to antique tags anyways.

Oh and my fogs on my SVX haven't worked in 4 years and she passes without an issue. Granted you have to know that they are there as they're part of the light housing.:brow:

The thing with the Fog lights turning off never made sense to me.
i'm still stuck at "fog lights never made sense to me". i've yet to see them make any difference driving in the fog.

inspection is like any other system, lots of things to pick apart, but you gotta play it. the title of this thread is really the beginning and the end of it.

i'm still stuck at "fog lights never made sense to me". i've yet to see them make any difference driving in the fog.

Well, if you add "when used with any other light" and you've hit the nail on the head. Fog lights have a low wide pattern to "cut" through the fog. a regular low beam is too high and the light is just reflected by the fog and you see nothing. To get the best results, you need to have only the fog lights on.

Keith