Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I live in a congested suburan setting and prefer to drive with my headlights on during the daylight to enhance my visibility to the idiot drivers. I miss having daytime running lights on my 'new' 95 Legacy. Has anyone ever done this and submitted instructions to the board? Or, are there later Subarus which have DRL capability whose relays & wiring I could install?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Just turn the lights on, and leave them there, its not DRL's but they go off so you don't have to worry about jumpstarting because you left them on.

I've had the light switch on my 88 on solid since i got it, maybe have had it off 5 times tops.

Every now and then I turn them off by accident, but I leave them on most of the time too. I put DRLS on my BMW and it just turns them on when I start just like the Subie. The only thing is I don't have the option to turn them off like the Subie does, and it can fool you into thinking you have the lights on and have no tails.

A lot of people diconnect the DRL on the 05's & 06's because they drive off at night thinking the lights are on.

Don't they notice they don't have any dash lights?

We've had them here in Canada for 15 years. It's not an issue. but it is a good safety feature.

Unfortunately the answer is "No!" There are people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles--and what good driving is-- that they just aim the thing, push the go pedal, push the stop pedal. It's scary.

Be careful out there gang!

Unfortunately the answer is "No!" There are people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles--and what good driving is-- that they just aim the thing, push the go pedal, push the stop pedal. It's scary.

Be careful out there gang!

They don't notice because most 05 & 06 Subarus light the instrument panel all the time - even the ones without the electroluminescent display. They're generally brighter than when the headlights are on. But "There are people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles--and what good driving is-- that they just aim the thing, push the go pedal, push the stop pedal. It's scary."

This discussion reminds me of the George Carlin routine.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

My futile wish is that people stop driving around with their fog lights on when it isn't foggy.

My futile wish is that people stop driving around with their fog lights on when it isn't foggy.

i have an older benz and the yellow fogs really help my vision at night. the fog lights with the low beam are more effective than the high beam. about one in 15 cars 'flashes' me as if my highbeams are on (or maybe it's just Ranger83 trying to manifest his futile wish!):D

as far as the subarus are concerned i think the fact that the headlights go out when the key is turned off obviates the need for driving lights.

ya man just leave your lights on, wont do any harm, other than make you go through headlight bulbs a little faster.

That's exactly what I've been doing for a number of years with my old Volvo 240s. I don't have any problem with leaving the lights on.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been running this 'new' Legacy with the lights left on, but I wondered if there was another way to skin this cat -- particularly with what seems to be the inordinately short lifespan of the climate control panel's light bulbs. If I could leave the headlights on without illuminating these panel's bulbs, it would seem to be a neat improvement. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to splice DRL capability in. If not, then I'll just leave my lights on and replace the climate panel's bulbs every 2 years.

Rob

i have an older benz and the yellow fogs really help my vision at night. the fog lights with the low beam are more effective than the high beam. about one in 15 cars 'flashes' me as if my highbeams are on (or maybe it's just Ranger83 trying to manifest his futile wish!)

Nope, but if you drove it that way in Germany, you'd be ticketed.

The Volvos and some Audis with the high intensity rear fog lights are the worst. They work well in fog on the Autobahn, but give you a headache after following for about 10 minutes.

But "There are people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles--and what good driving is-- that they just aim the thing, turn on their fog lights, push the go pedal, push the stop pedal. It's scary."

Nope, but if you drove it that way in Germany, you'd be ticketed.

The Volvos and some Audis with the high intensity rear fog lights are the worst. They work well in fog on the Autobahn, but give you a headache after following for about 10 minutes.

But "There are people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles--and what good driving is-- that they just aim the thing, turn on their fog lights, push the go pedal, push the stop pedal. It's scary."

i'm guessing it's probably better that i can see where i'm going, since "There people on our roads who are so unaware of their vehicles etc, etc...."