Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new 2005 outback a/c not strong enough

Last year I bought my new 2005 subaru outback wagon.

I just don't feel that the air conditioning, when on high, is blowing nearly hard enough. It's weaker than my previous car, weaker than my hubby's new car, weaker than any newer car of friend's that I get into.

Does anyone else w/ a new subie feel that their a/c doesn't blow hard enough?

I may take it in and see if it can be fixed or replaced, but I wonder if that's just the way it is. If that's just the way it is, I wonder if I can buy a better blower or something (?). I live in south Florida, so I'm hoping I can rectify this.

I just don't feel that the air conditioning, when on high, is blowing nearly hard enough. It's weaker than my previous car, weaker than my hubby's new car, weaker than any newer car of friend's that I get into.

I may take it in and see if it can be fixed or replaced, but I wonder if that's just the way it is. If that's just the way it is, I wonder if I can buy a better blower or something (?). I live in south Florida, so I'm hoping I can rectify this.

Maybe the dealership has another one on the lot you could try and see if there's a difference - there may be a problem. Sometimes its just a matter of understanding the new car's controls and how to switch to manual for - say - recirculate and fan speed, etc.

Carl

Are you talking air movement or air temperiture. The newer refridgerant used in new cars is alot weaker then older cars and takes longer to cool down a car. this is a commone complaint.

Also if you close the outer dash vents you will got a lot more air movement out of the center vents.

nipper

If you're going back to the dealership where you bought the car, talk to them about the problem for sure. It may be covered under warranty--or at worst the problem will be "on the record" with them, which could benefit you down the road.

I've noticed that the air-con on my '05 OBW is just like the heated seats: You gotta reach highway speed/rpm before they really kick in. It's just disapointing. At normal city driving speeds, my '98 air-con could freeze my tes....

At least, on the '05, I can set the heater to melt the buttons off my shirt.

Juan

Just wondering if you got the cabin air filter option installed? I would imagine that a filter cartridge would reduce the overall air-flow at least a little bit.

I was in Tampa a few weeks ago and was amazed at the clouds of green dust blowing around. It was a tremendous amount of pollen. Maybe like what PAezb said, your cabin filter (if you've got one) is clogged. I'd take back to your dealer since you have a 3year-36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and see what the problem is.