Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water In exhaust?

So the Brat has been acting funny lately, I think due to driving through some water on the last run we did. When driving in 1st through 3rd gears, if I more than feather the gas, the car acts like it's out of fuel or has water in the exhaust, and goes whooooop whooooop, and so on and so forth. It stumbles real bad. It also doesn't seem to rev any. It takes me forever to get going more than 15 mph in 1st and 25-30 in second. It idles fine (very high, but fine) but as soon as I start driving the problem starts. Any ideas on what's wrong?

Doubt the water we drove through last weekend would make it act like this, expecially 3 days later.

Might need to perform one of daves "italian tune ups". Could have gotten some gunk in the carburator.

And yes... the idle on your brat is alittle high ;-)

-Brian

oh, and when was the last time you changed the fuel filters? That could cause a problem like this.

I second changing the fuel filters...both of them. When was the last time they were changed. I had a wagon, took it on the sand days after I bought it and didn't check all the connections and such to the carb. The air cleaner came loose and needless to say I sucked some sand into my engine. Yeah...it was a fun trip home. I would hold the gas steady and it would go...stumble...go...stumble...go...stumble...go...stumble... top speed was 45mph on a 65 mile trip. I changed the fuel filters and BAM! gone. From then on, all my engines have been sealed up and the only thing allowed in is regulated fuel and air. :grin:

Thanks guys. I bought 2 fuel filters last night, replaced the one under the hood and will change the one near the fuel pump today. I also changed the air filter as well. I also noticed last night after the car started making a horrible clicking noise that I have to replace the driver's side axle too. Guess water didn't help that any.;) Thanks again, I'll keep ya informed.

I hear those Itailians also like to pour auto trans fluid down there carbs, give it a good clean out.

Phizinza's got it. Instead of Auto Trans Fluid, I use MMO (marvels Mystery Oil) or some seafoam. Rev the motor to about 2500rpm and dump about 1/4 qt. into the carb... let the carb choke, but keep the motor alive. Do that about 2 or 3 times.

-Brian