Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The BP where I fill my vehicles switched to a different gas formula about three weeks ago.

The switch coincided with the changeover to summer blend, but based on the smell, it's an entirely different formulation than what's ever been available before.

Two things I noticed:

1. Temp gauge climbs a little slower in the morning (very slightly).

2. Fuel mileage INCREASED. :headbang:

The smell and the cooler combustion would fit for ethanol, but the mileage increase typically would not. The pump doesn't list it as containing ethanol (Is is required to?).

Anyone else had this experience?

**** ******!

5% ethanol is now standard in my neighboring country, Sweden. I recorded my absolute best mileage ever of 14km/l on a long trip over there. Perhaps there's a connection?

(They also have SAAB's designed to run on 85% ethanol.)

The mileage increase is okay, but I don't like the increase in light-brown ash deposits on my spark plugs :-\

The BP where I fill my vehicles switched to a different gas formula about three weeks ago.

The switch coincided with the changeover to summer blend, but based on the smell, it's an entirely different formulation than what's ever been available before.

Two things I noticed:

The smell and the cooler combustion would fit for ethanol, but the mileage increase typically would not. The pump doesn't list it as containing ethanol (Is is required to?).

**** ******!

Depends on your state law if its required to tell you what is in the gas or not. Usually they use ethanol as a selling point. i didnt seee anything on thier website. Did you notice your gas milage go down after last august?

nipper

Two things I noticed:

**** ******!

Are you absolutely sure it's the gas?

As ambient temps are increasing, that alone could increase the MPG (oil less thick, less friction in the drivetrain, shorter warmup, increased pressure in tires).

On the other hand, it could be fuel with increased BTU or increased cleaning power cleaning your engine. Ethanol has variable effect on MPG but usually a decrease as 50% lower BTU of alcohol compared to gasoline.

Could be the ECU is still making some changes - one tank wouldn't be a trend. Several maybe.

Does it smell like formaldehyde? That's one of the 'new' emissions that occurs from ethanol - no one yet knows what that will do to the environment.

I also sem to recall that ethanol will increase NOxs somewhat.

Maybe try an ECU reset and track a few tankfuls. It does seem counterintuitive but hey - better mileage is a cool thing!

Carl

last 3 tanks my mileage has been up about 50 miles per tank, i think its the summer switch also, but maybe my Subie is just happier.

For your sake, I sincerly hope there's a zero missing there somewhere! :)

Edit: sorry, I misread your post. I guess one must read "has been up by about 50 miles" and not "up to about".

Just my less than perfect command of the english language.

By the way, what happens if, in the "edit" window, I click on "Go Advanced". I'm afraid to try...

Depends on your state law if its required to tell you what is in the gas or not. Usually they use ethanol as a selling point. i didnt seee anything on thier website.
Stations around here previously listed ethanol on the pumps (which I avoided), but with the recent "pro ethanol propaganda" in full swing, I'm assuming it's addition will now be transparent.

Did you notice your gas milage go down after last august?
No, other than the usual thick-lube & stiff sidewall drag in cold weather, I've never experienced a sudden jump in mileage based on the seasonal gas blend change.

**** ******!

Are you absolutely sure it's the gas?

As ambient temps are increasing, that alone could increase the MPG (oil less thick, less friction in the drivetrain, shorter warmup, increased pressure in tires).

On the other hand, it could be fuel with increased BTU or increased cleaning power cleaning your engine. Ethanol has variable effect on MPG but usually a decrease as 50% lower BTU of alcohol compared to gasoline.

There's definitely something with the fuel. I calculate the mileage every fillup, so I'm in tune with the charactisteristics of each of my vehicles. e.g. I know that if it's 1 mpg higher for one tank that it's about 2 lower for the next on account of the fill-up shutoff point not being consistent and all that stuff.

I have a sidestreet that I go down in the morning for a gentle warmup, that's how I know the gauge is moving up slower now. My first thought was sticking thermo, but both of my Subes are doing it. I just put it together in my head this morning.

**** ******!

Could be the ECU is still making some changes - one tank wouldn't be a trend. Several maybe.
It's been three tanks per vehicle. Not a large increase in my '02, but my '00 jumped noticeably. The best city mileage I've gotten in warm weather without A/C is 23 mpg. It's still been kinda cool here (40*F), but I'm getting almost 25 mpg.

Does it smell like formaldehyde? That's one of the 'new' emissions that occurs from ethanol - no one yet knows what that will do to the environment.
The smell isn't the exhaust, but while filling. I can barely smell the exhaust now with these efficient cats nowdays.

I also seem to recall that ethanol will increase NOxs somewhat.

Maybe try an ECU reset and track a few tankfuls. It does seem counterintuitive but hey - better mileage is a cool thing!

I ain't complaining! :)

**** ******!

For your sake, I sincerly hope there's a zero missing there somewhere! :)

Edit: sorry, I misread your post. I guess one must read "has been up by about 50 miles" and not "up to about".

Just my less than perfect command of the english language.

By the way, what happens if, in the "edit" window, I click on "Go Advanced". I'm afraid to try...

heheeh i did at first too :)

nipper