Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 Backfire

How can one make a Ea82 backfire like LOUD the way the rally cars do I have removed both cats, have a straight pipe and an Apexi Exhaust (Huge) . I want to be Loud with power. Does changing the through pipe and adding a bigger 1 make a diffrence. How can this be done.

Thanks.

in order to get a backfire, you will either need to get a high overlap cam, and run really rich, which is not good for your motor, or you need to get a turbo, and run it really rich, which is not good for your motor.

Just my .02 cents, but why would you want to get a backfire anyway? backfires don't win races.

They have kits that will play BOV noises if you really want to make the car sound likes its fast, but don't want it to be any faster, i don't think they have backfire noise kits though.

in order to get a backfire, you will either need to get a high overlap cam, and run really rich, which is not good for your motor, or you need to get a turbo, and run it really rich, which is not good for your motor.

Just my .02 cents, but why would you want to get a backfire anyway? backfires don't win races.

They have kits that will play BOV noises if you really want to make the car sound likes its fast, but don't want it to be any faster, i don't think they have backfire noise kits though.

Whats a "high overlap cam and "Run rich", i like how it sounds some1 told me to change the timming i did that it was loud but i lost like 60% of power is there any other way i can do this

Overlap is the period of time the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. I dont see why you want your car to backfire, its bad for the motor. Are you talking about poping on decelleration? Either way, you should set your timing back to stock, it doesnt sound so much like you know a whole lot about what you want to get out of your car and you may end up losing power and probably shortening your engines life if not destroying it fairly quickly.

Running rich means your using too much gas, too much to get optimal performance/economy out of your car. Running lean is the opposite, too much air, running lean is also generally worse for your engine, but both are bad.

AMK try getting up to speed

leave off the throttle pedal

turn the key off *not to lock

then back on

Thats is reli Dangerous in any case i hv tried it n it does not work when i removed the cats it would backfire nicely but it lasted only for a week :confused: . How do the rally cars do it :confused:

Thats is reli Dangerous in any case i hv tried it n it does not work when i removed the cats it would backfire nicely but it lasted only for a week :confused: . How do the rally cars do it :confused:

Try taking a fairly large straight through catalytic converter, hollow it out, and then put it on. Its not too good for the engine or performance to have that in there but that will cause a lotta popping when you let off the gas.

Try taking a fairly large straight through catalytic converter, hollow it out, and then put it on. Its not too good for the engine or performance to have that in there but that will cause a lotta popping when you let off the gas.

Thats wat i want wen u let go off the gas it backfires ill try it out thanks big time

I cant remember where i saw it, but rally cars dont have blow off valves to decrease turbo lag, they have an injector in the exhaust to create a burst of hot air to keep the turbo spinning as they slow down into a corner. This is bad for the turbo, but means that they can make boost almost instantly that they hit the gas as they exit the corner. :burnout:

Im pretty sure that that is how it works:brow:

Gannon

the carbed ea82's have an anti-backfire valve on the inside of the passenger fender...mine hasn't worked since i bought my car and it pops on deceleration

Hey is it possible to get i pic i would like to remove mine

rally cars hae antilag, off the throttle on decel, air is injected into the exhaust manifold and the injector open time is increased. when the unburnt fuel reaches the exhaust manifold it mixes with the fresh air it ignites, expands and spools the turbo (and creates very bloud backfiring). these things can make 6-7psi boost on decel. i have found with old ea81s and 2s if the idle mixture is lean u will get backfiring on decel. try winding ur mixture screw in a bit, not 2 much or it wont idle well. im usually doing the opposite, most people dont like decel backfiring.

Leave it as it is. Backfire is very bad for your engine. This is an economical car, not a 400hp rally car. Rally cars have the backfire because of the turbo and a few other extras. Rally cars, unlike regular street cars, get rebuilt before and after every race, end of story. So unless you feel like going through engines like water in the desert, my advice is

"If it ain't broken, don't F*** with it!"

I had a carbed ea82 that did it all the time by putting straight pipe where sound resonator is, leaving cat alone, and keeping oem size pipe. It was identical to rally sound until i literally blew the pipe apart before muffler ....then the everlasting muffler!. It even had a twack snap sound under throttle. All it really needs is to maintain heat to the end of pipe and in my case, not rich but very very lean fuel/air (it got over 40mpg on highway).Zero leaks forcing scavenge effect from back to front on this little motor needs the little pipes (oem), heat and very tight (absolutely no leaks whatsoever) then backfires. It is kinda fun when you didnt mean to make that kind of noise :lol:

I had a carbed ea82 that did it all the time by putting straight pipe where sound resonator is, leaving cat alone, and keeping oem size pipe. It was identical to rally sound until i literally blew the pipe apart before muffler ....then the everlasting muffler!. It even had a twack snap sound under throttle. All it really needs is to maintain heat to the end of pipe and in my case, not rich but very very lean fuel/air (it got over 40mpg on highway).Zero leaks forcing scavenge effect from back to front on this little motor needs the little pipes (oem), heat and very tight (absolutely no leaks whatsoever) then backfires. It is kinda fun when you didnt mean to make that kind of noise :lol:

mind explanin wat a resonator is, n wats rich fuel.

mind explanin wat a resonator is, n wats rich fuel.

If you don't know what a resonator is, or rich fuel, you shouldn't be messing with your engine like this. Listen to everyone before, backfire is a bad thing. Your Subaru is NOT fast, and making it backfire/crackle sound is not gonna make it any faster, nor is any way of achieving the sound you want going to be real good on your engine.

Please, proceed no further with this.

forget theidea and forget what they say, just get a cherry bomb(glasspack muffler), that would be a "real" mod to start with, and get the results you want.

but just because the car is louder doesnt mean its faster. may feel faster only because the sound makes you want to get on it!

but the cherry bob will fatten out the torque curve and open it up on the highway, help cruising MPG

PLEASE stay away from goofy stickers and ridiculous wings.

oil and temp gauges are good because they are actually useful

have fun, but learn about how a car works before trying to modify it, this isn't a video game when it comes to building a car!

http://www.trashwagon.com

If you don't know what a resonator is, or rich fuel, you shouldn't be messing with your engine like this. Listen to everyone before, backfire is a bad thing. Your Subaru is NOT fast, and making it backfire/crackle sound is not gonna make it any faster, nor is any way of achieving the sound you want going to be real good on your engine.

Please, proceed no further with this.

Dude if you dont try out stuff how do u learn i dont think theres any 1 who knows everthing so wat ur sayin is dat the rally cars do it 4 fun