Ultimate Subaru Message Board

true....synthetic get's dirty, it doesn't go bad

you may have to change it early when you first start using it because it is an excellent detergent and will clean out the funk in your engine.

in my 99 OBW 2.5 i run amsoil 10w30 (also run amsoil in trans and diffs)

it is rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year, at 6 months i change the filter (usually 7500 miles) then at a year i do a complete change.

if i've just changed over an engine i keep an eye on it, if it gets really dirty (cleaning out the funk) i'll change it sooner.

side note: i've been using Amsoil (the original synthetic) in everything i drive, since 1977 and it has amazed me time and time again.

true....synthetic get's dirty, it doesn't go bad

you may have to change it early when you first start using it because it is an excellent detergent and will clean out the funk in your engine.

in my 99 OBW 2.5 i run amsoil 10w30 (also run amsoil in trans and diffs)

it is rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year, at 6 months i change the filter (usually 7500 miles) then at a year i do a complete change.

if i've just changed over an engine i keep an eye on it, if it gets really dirty (cleaning out the funk) i'll change it sooner.

side note: i've been using Amsoil (the original synthetic) in everything i drive, since 1977 and it has amazed me time and time again.

As a side note on Amsoil 25K change, installing the Amsoil two stage filter system, it will keep the oil clean for the entire duration of 25K.

Turbo motors seems to foul the oil a little sooner than non-turbos, so I change my synthetic oil around 2500 mi or when it looks dirty, since I don't have the two stage filter system.

It all very's on how you frive as well.

If you Stomp on the gas everywhere you go your gonna get more dirty oil.

If you drive around like me with gas prices so high, and ran full synthetic I would change oil filter every 5K miles and change out oil at 10K.

Regular oil runs just fine for me at 5-6K miles, never had any problems.

i've never had problems with dino oil (in a car)

besides the gas mileage increase, i use synthetic for the superior lubrication ability to reduce wear in the long run

if i was going to sell a car in a year or two i wouldn't use it, but most of my stuff i plan on driving for a long long time

from working in a lube shop and actually going to an oil class (sounds funny huh?) the most important things to remember were already discussed.

if you have a dirty motor and you put an oil in it that really cleans it out well, you'll need to change it more often at first until eventually, the oil you are putting in, is not being put into a dirty motor.

If you can put your oil in, drive around the block, and it's black on the dipstick like you never touched it, chances are, you've got one seriously dirty motor inside.

Synthetics use less additives, and less additives means it is harder to break down. many other benefits. higher flash point, ect. better shearing results, ect. full synthetics are better all around... older older subies with many miles probably would just end up blowing out some seals.

older older subies with many miles probably would just end up blowing out some seals.

ya...that can be true...depending on the level of maintence the car had, back to the dirty motor thing, if it's really dirty inside and has built up "false" seals the synthetic will clean these out and leaks result.

i've put synthetic in a lot of older motors...none developed leaks, but all had a good maintenance history

so for my 96 impreza 2.2 that has 193,000 on it....it wouldnt be a bad thing to switch to synthetic?..the lady i bought it from said she always had the oil changed on time...very anal about it/so i shouldnt worry bout the seals? or should i still worry

so for my 96 impreza 2.2 that has 193,000 on it....it wouldnt be a bad thing to switch to synthetic?..the lady i bought it from said she always had the oil changed on time...very anal about it/so i shouldnt worry bout the seals? or should i still worry

I just switched my 95 with 191,000 miles over to Castrol Sythetic Bland this weekend. Since it wasn't leaking or burning anything I felt it was time to step up the protection. So far no issues. (I drive 90 miles a day)

Keith

I put Amsoil in the engine, trans, and diffs in my 92 legacy with 196.000 miles on it....it had a great maintenance record, and all the oils that came out looked good

No problems at all....

it might just be me....but i think it feels happier!

those are definately the type of reply's i wanted.....so u recommend synth blend or full synthetic...im def gettin some annoying noise from the engine bay prolly valves and crap i've only had the car for a little over a week so far..i wanna run seafoam through it yet to see if that gets rid of any of the noise....which vacume line should i use to suck the seafoam up ??does it matter? they all go to the same place right