Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 Legacy GT sedan using coolant??

OK, this is my Mom's '03 GT sedan with 4EAT, 40k on the clock. I flushed and refilled the coolant at 30k with a 50/50 mix of yellow stuff and distilled water.

I only get to check under the hood ever month or so, BUT. Over the winter seemed fine. Now that spring is around last month the overflow tank was low so I filledit to hot with distilled and same coolant 50/50 mix. Then this month I checked it again and same thing down to the bottom of the tank and refilled with 50/50. Seems to stabilized for the two days I drove it. No external leaks no white smoke, no water in oil, no oil in coolant?? What is the deal here guys?:-\ Is the warm weather finaly geting the cooling system to start pulling for the rez. to presurize the system??

I am going to say that there maybe a hard to find coolant leak somewhere around a hose or elsewhere externally. I know that you have looked for external leaks, but sometimes they can be really hard to find. The clamps that Subaru uses around the large radiator hoses can dig into the hose and create a small leak if tightened to tight after the hoses get older. Even though it may not apply to MY2003, did you add the Subaru $1.50 bottle of conditioner when you flushed it last?

I am going to say that there maybe a hard to find coolant leak somewhere around a hose or elsewhere externally. I know that you have looked for external leaks, but sometimes they can be really hard to find. The clamps that Subaru uses around the large radiator hoses can dig into the hose and create a small leak if tightened to tight after the hoses get older. Even though it may not apply to MY2003, did you add the Subaru $1.50 bottle of conditioner when you flushed it last?

No I did not since it was not a phase I and I did not think it needed it. :mad:

make sure the coolant reservoir and or the hose it has running to the radiator aren't leaking. they are very weak systems. i've had a number of older subaru's that didn't even have a working overflow tank. to this day i don't know how or why that is, but i've definitely driven a subaru before that for 100,000 miles would never have any coolant in that reservoir but the motor was fine, no coolant loss. a new radiator cap might not be a bad idea. they can leak tiny amounts only when warm. of course i wouldn't expect any of this on a 2003 with only 40,000.

that being said, i'd keep a close eye on it heat is nothing to worry about.

A 2003 will not be covered buy the "stop leak" campaign. Subaru claims to have fixed the external head gasket leak in mid 2002. NOT TRUE. My wife just picked up another 2003 Legacy SE, 35k miles. Drivers side head gasket has been replaced.

It is a little hard to see but check the bottom rear corner of drivers side head gasket. That my be were your coolant is leaking.

A 2003 will not be covered buy the "stop leak" campaign. Subaru claims to have fixed the external head gasket leak in mid 2002. NOT TRUE. My wife just picked up another 2003 Legacy SE, 35k miles. Drivers side head gasket has been replaced.

It is a little hard to see but check the bottom rear corner of drivers side head gasket. That my be were your coolant is leaking.

I will pull the belly pan off the '03 GT and check it out. Do you know if that would be covered by the power train warrenty if there IS a external headgasket leak??:confused:

Sometimes the leak (if you used certain types of coolant with higher sulfates) looks like a white powder deposit near the leak, sorta like battery acid corrosion on top of an old car battery. However, your Mom's car is still under the powertrain warranty. Therefore, I would take her car to the dealer and have them put a dye in it, and look for the leak. Then have them fix it. If it's a hose, then you may have to pay for it because I think that is covered to 36000 miles. However, if it's the head gasket, then they should repair it because you'd be under the 60000 mile engine/powertrain warranty. Good luck, and let us know how it goes and what you find out.

I purchased the same car (03 Legacy GT) for my fiancée about 6 months ago and noticed a smell when sitting in traffic. Now that its warm out I looked into things a little more and there is a small coolant leak above the cv axle on the driver side. This leaks down onto the axle and then hits the exhaust. It is so minor that I have not had to add coolant since we got the car. I started doing some research and it seems like a lot of 03s have head gasket problems and its predominantly on the drivers side. So off to the dealer it goes. :mad:

I purchased the same car (03 Legacy GT) for my fiancée about 6 months ago and noticed a smell when sitting in traffic. Now that its warm out I looked into things a little more and there is a small coolant leak above the cv axle on the driver side. This leaks down onto the axle and then hits the exhaust. It is so minor that I have not had to add coolant since we got the car. I started doing some research and it seems like a lot of 03s have head gasket problems and its predominantly on the drivers side. So off to the dealer it goes. :mad:

Well come to think about it I have smelled a weird smell whne it idles for awhile?? I will look at the drivers side cyl. bank above the CV. Hope I DON"T see anything!!:-\

Well come to think about it I have smelled a weird smell whne it idles for awhile?? I will look at the drivers side cyl. bank above the CV. Hope I DON"T see anything!!:-\

Now that i have seen it you can actually look from the hood and see the point where the axle meets the diferential. Use a flashlight, i was albe to see free liquid on the axle and stains on the cat/exhaust. at first i thought the axle seal was leaking but that was just coolant mixing with residual grease on the engine/diff.

I can tell this is going to be interesting, dealer does think this will be covered under warranty. I have also read that their fix may be to put in the coolant addative rather than actually fix the problem (replace the HG). I found a few posts about that.

Now that i have seen it you can actually look from the hood and see the point where the axle meets the diferential. Use a flashlight, i was albe to see free liquid on the axle and stains on the cat/exhaust. at first i thought the axle seal was leaking but that was just coolant mixing with residual grease on the engine/diff.

I can tell this is going to be interesting, dealer does think this will be covered under warranty. I have also read that their fix may be to put in the coolant addative rather than actually fix the problem (replace the HG). I found a few posts about that.

Just tell them you don't want a BAND_AID fix you want it fixed right!! What ever they have to do.;)

• 7 months later...

Well now it is leaking so bad it is driping on the ground from the drivers side rear of the engine but for the LIFE of me I can't find the leak source!!! It is out of warrenty now but my Mom got the 100,000 extended warrenty OR should his be covered under the drivetrain warrenty it has 43k on it now.:mad:

Well now it is leaking so bad it is driping on the ground from the drivers side rear of the engine but for the LIFE of me I can't find the leak source!!! It is out of warrenty now but my Mom got the 100,000 extended warrenty OR should his be covered under the drivetrain warrenty it has 43k on it now.:mad:

this is defanitly under the extended warrenty. Take it back to where you bought it. Subaru oil leaks travel, but it sure sounds like the sperator plate. If this is manual it may affect the clutch if it is coming out fast.

nipper

Even if she hadn't purchased the extended warranty it would still be covered if you took it to the dealer regarding the problem while it was in warranty and they couldn't/didn't fix it at that time. But at 43,000 is should still be under the Subaru warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

It took the dealership two days but it's back. No white on start-up or after driving. No more smeel. I will keep a close eye on coolant cunsuption. SONA send a nicew follow up e-mail since I allerted them to the issue from my.subaru.com site. I think they even helped us get a '07 loaner from the stealership!:banana:

It took the dealership two days but it's back. No white on start-up or after driving. No more smeel. I will keep a close eye on coolant cunsuption. SONA send a nicew follow up e-mail since I allerted them to the issue from my.subaru.com site. I think they even helped us get a '07 loaner from the stealership!:banana:

Hey shortlid

What stealership did you use...I am over in Stormville!

BTW...you think your mom would be selling her subie anytime in the near future? That's what I have been looking for

Bill

Hey shortlid

What stealership did you use...I am over in Stormville!

BTW...you think your mom would be selling her subie anytime in the near future? That's what I have been looking for

Bill

Smith Carins Subaru in downtown Brewster, NY. They are OK, and have ONE good Subie mech. The rest are Jeep guys. There are probibly better dealerships around you?

My '00 OBW had the driver side HG replaced at 39k mi after an external leak at the rear of the engine, coolant conditioner added at 49k mi per the service bulletin, and a couple of weeks ago at 73k mi the driver side again had the external leak at the rear of the engine. I don't think that there was an improved gasket available for the HG replacement at 39k mi. This time both head gaskets were replaced and the part number is different from the one installed at 39k mi., so maybe they are an improved version. Subaru covered the cost of the HG work, and I paid to have the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, crank seal, oil pump 0-ring, and the t-belt tensioner replaced while they were in there. Penninsula Subaru in Gorst, Wa. had the car for five days and gave me an '06 OBW loaner, no charge, nice car, and there was no hassle at all about doing the work. It would seem that the HG problem continued on into the '03 model year. '00-'03 OB/Legacy owners should keep a close eye out for HG leak symptoms.

Smith Carins Subaru in downtown Brewster, NY. They are OK, and have ONE good Subie mech. The rest are Jeep guys. There are probibly better dealerships around you?

Shortlid

I am in stormville...15 miles from Brewster....glad your mom made out well...never heard much about smith carins either way.

email me if your mom is ever interested in selling her suby bgambino@pawling.com

thanks