Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Modifier's delight

Hey guys.

I'm a newbie...just thought i would show my wheels...gotta few photos, feel free to check them out and leave any comments

Note the pun on "import1"

xport_back.JPG

This car is fun to drive, i havent done too many mods since i bought it, mostly just repairs and maintainence -- the best way to start i think.

I have a few problems like hard starting, poor idle when cold, the ecs light is permanently on (after i had an engine transplant is was like that) and something that frightens me a little - > the check oil light flickers on when under acceleration. can anyone help me with this? and yes i have checked my oil.

Thanks for any info.

Leon

p.s red is faster :grin:

Yes, on my 87 turbo sedan the hard starting was due to a bad connection at the CSS(cold start sensor).Its probly called other names but thats what I call it.

On my turbo engine it was located behind the air intake hose to the turbo inlet. It is in a PITA spot but when you unplug it im sure it will be corroded.Clean it up on both ends and put a dab of grease on it to help stop it from happining again.

Same for the idel connector but this one is easy to get to its right on top of the engine in front. Mine was corroded also so just clean it up and it should be fine again.

Hope this helps allitle.

:confused:

The pun is that the plate is suppose to say import1 - me being in Australia and all... I guess its kinda silly really, unless i was driving my car in japan...

which would be kinda fun i thinnk :rolleyes:

The exhaust is a 2.5 inch turboback to a 4.5 inch DRIFT cannon muffler.

It is the most monstrous sounding car i have ever heard ....thats why i bought it!!! :brow:

For those who like their cars super quiet this is not what you want to see (or hear) drive past your house on a monday midnight. Im sure the response will be a muffled F@#k y@u! :grin:

And yes i got heaps of pics just check out "leon" in club members photos. or if your like me and damn lazy...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=19187

Sweet setup you got. I like your intercooler.

i like the car except for the muffler

but thats me i don't really like chrome

I don't like the muffler either... seems ricey to me. I'm not a big fan of the color. Too bright for the car I think.

To each their own though!

Intercooler is nice. Color is nice.

You might want to put some sheet metal around the air filter so it pulls more of it's air from the quarter panel and less from the engine compartment.

Do you have a bracket supporting the flapper door MAF? It's not as crucial as a hot wire MAF being supported is, but having it flopping around can't be good.

You might want to put an oil cooler in as well.

As for the muffler, everyone knows the noise that hondas make with them on. I have discovered that honda's make the exact same noise with a 3 inch rust hole in the side of the stock muffler. Price for fart-can exhaust: $150+ Price for rust hole $0. OWNED!

I know what you are talking about. fart guns on rice mobiles. but believe me, this is not the same thing. (i also have a hyundai with a fart gun)

The sound from my rx makes wrx's sound like mice squeekss. nothing but beef comes out - thats why i aint going to upgrade the sound system, i dont think i could hear it anyway

oil cooler sounds like a good idea, but i havent done any research on that yet - too busy fixing my vacuum leaks

the air flow meter is actually jammed into the side of the engine bay ( the K&N is too big) so it doesnt flap around. I have always want to make a ram air system ( thats why i havent bothered with cold air intake) , but its so difficult with the layout of the radiator. there is no space to duct any hoses to the front of the car. but the thought is tingling :rolleyes:

ram air + turbocharged = :horse:

Leon, did the large ic pipe come of a Saab 9000, it looks like the pipe I have in my parts bin.

I was looking at an ram air system to, I took out the silencer in the fender well the other day and it looks like you could run a pipe from the side of the fender well to the front of the bumper right behind the right turn signal. The only problem is you would have to relocate the turn signal.

I like the ride! I saw a vacuum chamber for distributor.. it gives me an idea for some probs on mine. Is that a front bumper on the back? I haven't seen one that looks like your setup, very sharp looking suby :)

The exhaust is a 2.5 inch turboback to a 4.5 inch DRIFT cannon muffler.

It is the most monstrous sounding car i have ever heard ....thats why i bought it!!! :brow:

I'm glad you like it. Although, as said before, each to their own. Personally I think having a tip that is bigger then the pipe is kinda useless. May as well get rid of the muffler all together and have a 2.5" pipe sticking out the rear of the car. I would like that more because 1) less rice looking and 2) more of a raw note from the engine, no big chambers making a rumbling sound. I like raw engine sounds, esp from a EA81 :) ..

At lease the rest of your car is pertty stuck looking, its just that tip...

I am thinking of upgrading my 2" pipe with straight thru muffler for just a 3" pipe. But my car is already loud enough, so I would like to keep the sound, but just quiter, dunno how I am going to achive that...

I do like the red, I is that a factory colour? Would that be the same "Flair Red" they used on Brats (like mine?)

Well, have fun with it! Oh, also, is it a FullTime4WD? would be so much fun. My bro is selling his FWD 2.2 turbo Telstar. It goes like a race hound on steroids, but because of the stock suspension and its power > traction problem it makes a very interesting drive. AWD turbo... "That's What I Want!" As they say at Greaterunion.... lol

I do admit the exhaust looks kinda outof proportion especially the shape of the rear bar, a bit like a box with a big sausage hanging off it. the problem is i am sitting quite low so i bang it on every driveway. but i told myself when it comes time to change i ll go back down to 3 inchs.

i ll have a look at the ram air through the fender, has anyone done this before? i know a few guys here have done the cold air intake near the front right wheel. but the point of ram air is to get positive air pressure so it would have to be somewhere along the front of the car preferebly with a funnel shape going into it. it might look very dorky if not done right too.

the car is painted ford xr6 monza red which is a more cherry brighter than the brat red.

im not sure what the intercooler piping is from but it is very restrictive and ugly. im thinking of changing it...:-\

... I have discovered that honda's make the exact same noise with a 3 inch rust hole in the side of the stock muffler. Price for fart-can exhaust: $150+ Price for rust hole $0. OWNED!

But be Careful with the Exhaust Hole, due to the Fact that Hot gas hitting any part, can damage it fast & Easy, specially with plastics or rubber (Check out if hot gas is not hitting the brake lines... Extremly Dangerous for medium or + trips, or ball bearings)

I have installed in my Weberized EA82, all pipes straight, of galvanized HG of 2" (The one normally is used on Water distribution on buildings), without the first catalytic converter "filter" (I mean the point where the left & Right exhaust are connected to do a unique pipe to the rear) it`s only a "Y" and without the other Catalitic Converter Filter (The One that goes near under the shift stick)

Also the Muffler is just a wide & big open box, just the in and out pipes aren`t facing each other, but is a open box (I mean without restrictions)

I made this with a friend who has a welder, long time ago... the result is that my subie sounds almost like an old american V8, but not too noisy... and engine temp. droped down, due to the almost free exhaust. but it isn`t free at all, because is not good to the engine to have a totally free exhaust.

I think your muffler looks good... But I couldn`t imagine how it sounds like...

Loyale 2.7 Turbo, I think he ment a 3" hole in the rear muffler, facing down I hope. Other thing, the turbo'd EA82's do not have a "Y" pipe. The exhaust from the left head goes over towards the right head, then joining to it it heads backwards, then up to the turbo, then down thru a Cat. Jus thought you might of not know this. But anyhow, I like the red, but if I paint my ute any other color it is going to be orange. :)