Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lowering the wagon

yep thaaaaaats right, I'm goin the other way with my wagon. I'm takin it down to the ground. I know how I'm gonna lower the fron (cuttin the coils) but how can I lower the rear? I know it has something to do with the torsion bars but I haven't really looked underneath it yet. How do I crank my torsion bars down? Its on a gen 1 wagon so Andrew doesn't really know how to do it. Help!!

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by WagonsOnly

Are you planning on keeping it 4WD or making it a front-drive? It might be easier to make it FWD and cut/reweld the rear axle, mount it a bit higher. A lowered 4WD wagon doesn't have much trail potential anyway:cornfuzz:

Its still good for snow and ice. I think I'd keep the 4wd option.

Bill

I was looking at the 2wd EA81 strut assemblies. The struts themselves won't work due to how the ball joint is mounted but I'm pretty sure that the springs might work. Hey Kit, yeah, we'll have to talk about this this coming weekend. Who knows, maybe my wagon will be running AND be lowered here shortly:banana:

Hey - why stop there? Why not go get a Jeep and lower that? It amazes me the amount of effort people go to to make a vehicle something it's not. Pimpin in an EA81?.... pshaaaawwww:-\ . You outa see all the lowered Suzuki 4x4s around here - gee - they must handle like Ferrari's now - being lowered and all. Hope your going to get $500018inch rims and ultra-low rubber to slam it on. Oh well - each to his own - I did some real wierd ****e to my 1st car when i was young. BTW is cutting the springs legal/safe. I guess you dont have speed bumps or potholes near you. Aaah car fashions that have nothing to do with practicality:brow:

Hehe - sorry for the dig - I cant resist - just these damn Hot 4's magazines convincing guys they are gonna pull chicks like mad if they do all this stuff to their cars - just dont kill yrself doing it

Hehe - my RX aint lowered, in fact it could do with an extra inch upwards for the tracks. Hey I dont want to talk anyone out of a project, but by the same token I would hate someone to make the car unsafe or undrivable in the pursuit of 'street cred' : life is too short for that sorta stuff (remember furry dice and panel-vans with fantasy murals?).

I'm not referring to your RX specifically, just those that end up doing the 5 lug conversion and end up with the lower stiffer stance due to the XT6 components...

I always think its interesting to see what people will to do their soobs. I think the trashwagon was at the top of my list of most "interesting" cars :D

yeah, when the beer wagon is finally done, people will give me the "WTF??" look. Even the Subaru lovers like yourself. Oh and cutting the springs does NOT effect your car in a bad way. It acctually helps it because its lowering the center of gravity of the car so it handles better. I know a lot when it comes to center of gravity...I used to build and race electric go-carts that were able to do 60+ if they're geared right.

• 6 years later...

i agree, if he wants a lowered wagon, let him lower HIS wagon as low as he wants, car customization is about how it make you as the owner feel about what youve done with your ride, as for myself, i have a 2wd sedan that is about to b slammed, and a wagon which will b lifted 2in w 27's stuffed under.

but at the same time, no, cutting springs does not improve the long gevity or performance of your vehicle, but, it sure can make it look cool, just be careful and plz post pix afterwards..

Edited by tonyassparker

My RX is lowered JWX had it lowered and I took it even lower still (yay coil overs [thanks again JWX]) it all depends on what you intend to use the car for. Drift machine wooho low and RWD .... mine is AWD and used for autocross (gymkhana in Austrailia from what I can tell)