Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy having problems starting in the AM

My 95 Legacy is starting to have problems starting in the morning or after work. It no longer turns over on the first try. It takes 3 or 4 "turns' of the starter before it will turn over (not the key). Once it starts, it's fine and will start right up again if I run errands.

The battery is new - bought it last year. Could it be the alternator or starter? What's the best way to troubleshoot?

if it does it every time, try jumper cables and another vehicle/battery. do that a couple times over a few days. if it fixes it, then the battery is to blame. i would think battery before other things except maybe a ground, but battery is simpler to replace and diagnose so i'd start there. more info on car would be golden like previous poster said.

im going to guess ignition cables. This is A typical of tired wires. Car sits overnight, humidity collects on the wire. Go to start the car in the morning, its hard to start. After the electricity has leaked out of the wires, it evaporates the moisture, then the car starts.

My 2 cents :)

nipper

Here's some more info. The car has 185K miles on it, I bought it at 107K. I did a full tuneup last September and replaced the battery in November. I had the radiator, water pump, timing belts and ignition wires replaced this past weekend. The wires were replaced because after or during rain, if the car sits, the car starts but then runs rough. No roughness in nice weather.

By turning over, its the sound it makes when you turn the key to the start position. So instead or rrrruuummmm... start, it's rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm... start.

I think the Alternator and Starter may be original also. Does this help. And the first time I noticed this was about a month ago.

Here's some more info. The car has 185K miles on it, I bought it at 107K. I did a full tuneup last September and replaced the battery in November. I had the radiator, water pump, timing belts and ignition wires replaced this past weekend. The wires were replaced because after or during rain, if the car sits, the car starts but then runs rough. No roughness in nice weather.

By turning over, its the sound it makes when you turn the key to the start position. So instead or rrrruuummmm... start, it's rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm, rrrruuuummm... start.

I think the Alternator and Starter may be original also. Does this help. And the first time I noticed this was about a month ago.

I JUST thought of a POSSIBLE test for either low compression from oil leaving the rings after sitting a long time OR my low fuel pressure theory. If you started the car under the failure conditions you mention (long cranking) then immediately turned it off, waited - say an hour or so, would it start with the same failure or start immediately? If immediately, I'd be tempted to have the fuel system checked out, and maybe a compression test.

I dunno, my thinking here may not be complete - hah!

Carl

In an old VW I had the check valve in the fuel pump would not open or stay shut or something when the car was cold. I had to turn the key to the start position 5-6 times to build up the fuel pressure then it would start.

My guess - fuel pressure