Ultimate Subaru Message Board

???s - Forester engine replacement at dealership

Hi guys - posting for recommendations for my MILs sister. She is wondering what she should be asking/getting from the dealer when she picks up her car. She has an '01 Forester with 78k miles (and 80k extended warranty). Recently the engine was noisy, upon taking to the dealership, it was found that the #4 rod bearing was bad. They are apparently putting in a "reconditioned" engine (under warranty). I suggested getting engine warranty information, in writing, on the service invoice. Also verifying that her engine was replaced, not repaired at the dealership. And finding out about "break-in" procedures. I suggested she make a list of questions/concerns/requests and call the dealership to talk to service before going to pick up her car.

Any other ideas for this situation.

Thanks,

Steve H.

Sounds like you have already given her good advice. She should follow the break in instructions in the owner's manual like it is a new car.

Most dealers don't fix engines anymore, she may have a brand new block from Subaru and her old heads. I'd love it if somebody replaced my engine just before the end of the warranty.

Everything you said, make sure it is a subaru reconditioned engine and not a dealership reconditioned engine. Breakin procedure is still the same as if new.

This is an unusual failure (stuff happnes). Usually seen on heavily overheated sooby engines.

nipper

Thanks for the info. Just like "Sweet82", I am wondering about what warranty they would put on this motor. I would hope at least 12month, 12k miles minimum on parts and labor. I'll have to wait until I get a follow email regarding her car.

Steve H.:burnout:

It is a bit interesting now that few dealers seem to do any sort of major repair beyond head gaskets. The dealers around here have several factory shortblocks in stock and just install one. Since it is often warranty work I think it does not pay them to invest the time in hand fitting.

That's a good deal. She may want to also get an extended warranty through her insurance company to cover the other things on the vehicle in case of trouble. The engine is the main concern though, so she may be fine with just that.

That's a good deal. She may want to see if can get an extended service warranty through her insurance company to cover the other things on the vehicle. Though the engine is the main concern and hopefully she will now have many trouble free miles ahead.