Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear diff ratios

easy way to make sure with out getting under the car. if the donor car is a 5 speed dual range with selectable 2wd its going to be 3.9
Dunno about the US, but it's totally random here. I have seen a 85 with 3.9, a 88 with 3.7, and 89 with a 3.7 first two were Touring wagons, other was a standard wagon. My bro has a 83 wagon with a replaced gearbox which is 3.9 and a wrecked 82 wagon with a 3.7... My 89 Brumby/Brat is 3.7.

I also asked the ausubaru (waist of time, but what the hell) about it and the resaults were random too.. Only thing that was steady was LSD's being 3.7 (cos we didn't get the XT6 with the 3.9.)

Best thing to do is swap the rear diff with the gearbox.. But you will know if theres something wrong while in 4WD on the pavement! :burnout:

I know we`ve been through this before but I will mention again. My 87 Gl wgn had the EA82 spfi with a 5spd D/R and a 3:70LSD from the factory...

Yeah - it was an "order only" option that way tho - extremely rare.

Oh - and you AUS and NZ guys do have a random assortment - like the Brumby being 3.7..... ALL 3.9 here.

Best to check the tag on the diff, but here in the states you will find as stated above that most 5spd D/R's with 2WD (can test this by putting it in gear and watching the rear output while turning the input shaft) will be 3.9. The few exceptions are the 86/87 RX transmissions etc...... if it came from a turbo it's 3.7

GD