Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need lots of lift advice

Sarge

I have read much about lifts on here but I am still a little shaky on proceeding. All in all, I want to run 27" mudders comfortably on my EA81 Hatch. I have a coil over strut front susp. and a torsion bar rear. I advice from some experienced off road and on road Roo drivers... Such as which lift to go with, any extra susp. components I might need, Rather I need larger brakes, Etc. Etc. and please don't tell me to use the search, I have and all that still leaves my questions wide open... anything is appreciated.

I have read much about lifts on here but I am still a little shaky on proceeding. All in all, I want to run 27" mudders comfortably on my EA81 Hatch. I have a coil over strut front susp. and a torsion bar rear. I advice from some experienced off road and on road Roo drivers... Such as which lift to go with, any extra susp. components I might need, Rather I need larger brakes, Etc. Etc. and please don't tell me to use the search, I have and all that still leaves my questions wide open... anything is appreciated.

4" should be a good amount of lift, tho you could go with 6" and fit some 29x10.50 or probably some 30x9.50. for lift in the rear I'd clock the torsion bar one notch and maybe use 2" blocks along with that, and get something to lower your diff back down so you can retain stock axles angles. As far as rear shocks go, get longer shocks, dont get a bracket to drop the mount so you use stock shocks, get longer ones... the amount of extra travel you will gain is pretty incredible. even with 29" tires on my rig braking is still pretty good, I can still lock up the tires, just have to press harder. Another thought I've been toying with is changing the mounts on the torsion tube to angle it downward to gain a little lift but still be able to maintain good camber.

There are no larger brakes for our cars. So you cant upgrade. You can get rear disk brakes if you want, it helps... but isnt neccessary.

Whoever you buy your lift from will supply everything you need, no additional suspension components are required. However, your Hatch is over 20 years old, so nows a good time to replace the shocks.

Not sure what you dont get.

-Brian

I have 30s on a car with 3" of lift. a buddy of mine has 29s on an unlifted hatch, simply adjusted the suspension up all the way and cut the crap out of the fenders.

they're all body lifts, and they're all virtually identical (for EA81s anyway), buy what's the cheapest and fastest. SJR requires new/longer rear shocks, but that allows more travel, also doesn't come with the lengthened steering shaft, or pitch stopper, both will be necessary. I don't think BYB has the pitch stopper either...but they have a block for the front of the skidplate so you can still use it. but it's been proven insufficient if you're really wheeling hard.

anything above 30s or so will be very hard to fit because of the firewall. but anything up to that will be quite easy with any amount of lift, especially if you're willing to trim the corners off the fenders.

yes, do the rear disc conversion. it's a HUGE improvement, if you're serious at all about wheeling it, you'll love the extra power and control with 4-wheel disc brakes.

have you read the Frequently Asked Questions page? lots of good info there

I just want to run 27x9.50s, I don't want anything larger because of the gearing. I am satisfied with that. I don't mind chopping on stuff but I don't want to cut anything that would be detrimental to the structural integrity of the car.

You will want 3"-4" of lift. Any brand will suffice.

***You should go over all suspension, driveline, and brake components to make sure they are in good shape.***

Rear disks are nice, only about $100 in parts (+/-). Drums need to be adjusted manually on the EA-81's, and can pack with mud, causing braking problems (seen it happen). Watch the flex hoses, I had one go on me, and had to drive home 70Km knowing I only had one good stop left in the brake system.

Front struts are usually pretty good still on these things (but check them), rear shocks are usually shot, but they're cheap.

You should consider a 5 speed D/R swap. The 5 speeds have a better low range, plus better gear spacing to help cope with the bigger tires you're going to put on.

I say just buy a 4" kit from any of the popular suppliers (you would know who they all are already I assume.)

They should supply you with the extra parts you need (i.e brake line extentions, steering extention, fuel pump do wacky, radiator hoses, ect ect) or they may just tell you where to get these extras. Email them and ask what else apart from fitting is needed with their lift kit.

I run a 2" kit (legal limit where I live) and with some fender cutting and bashing I got 27"s to fit fine. With a 4" kit you should be able to fit 27"s without much or any trimming or bashing...

After M/T's and a lift, I think you'll want a LSD/welded rear diff. I know I do.

EDIT: Ooops, logged on with my brothers account. This post was posted by me, Phizinza.. Shouldn't happen again, just need to fit my computer.

Like I said just earlier. You should get everything you need with a lift. And seems you don't want to make it yourself, it should be very easy to buy/install. Just ask the guy you are planning to buy a lift from about installing it, and whats needed

Yes, all of the lifts lower the front engine cradle, which holds the steering rack. This changes the distance between the steering shaft from the firewall and the shaft from the steering rack, which is where the extended linkage goes in (replacing the stock linkage).

If im reading things correctly, it seems the SJR Lift doesnt come with everything you need. Like the steering extension or rear shocks.

Then you have AA, who have announced they are pulling out of the subie industry.

And that leaves you with PK Davis. And I can tell you from past experience, that PK supplies EVERYTHING You need to lift your car. If you want to run 27" tires, a 3" lift will be just fine. My car was running 27's and I had to do minor trimming, but that was only to keep it from rubbing on full-lock.

I have since removed the lift from my old wagon, and I have to say it looks just as good today as it did when i removed it from the box 3 years ago. I plan on installing this same lift into my current 1984 Hatchback, and I will be running 27" tires again. Should be fun, i cant wait :clap:

-Brian

I have been trying to read up on LSDs and I haven't found what I am looking for. My searches just bring up people wanting them or asking what an LSD is and stuff like that. What type of rear diff. does the EA81 Hatch come with stock? (open?) And what LSD will fit in that car?

I have been trying to read up on LSDs and I haven't found what I am looking for. My searches just bring up people wanting them or asking what an LSD is and stuff like that. What type of rear diff. does the EA81 Hatch come with stock? (open?) And what LSD will fit in that car?

Check the FAQ for a place to start, I havent done the swap or thought about it so I dont know a whole lot about it. I have considered welding my diff but thats diff animal(har har! pun intended). http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24980

LSD Info!

What year models?

-late 80's Full time 4WD RX's

-late 80's GL 10 Full time 4WD

-Came as options on all ea82's

-Full Time 4WD XT6's (Only 3.9 LSD)

How do I tell If I have an LSD?

-Look for this photo: (Thanks Dr RX!)

It should be mounted on the rear diff.

-Get your soob's rear end off the ground and spin a tire, if the opposite tire spins in the SAME direction, you have an LSD.

Things to Know about the LSD

-Almost all lsd's come in a 3.7 ratio, this needs to be converted to 3.9 on most soobs to be able to run.

-Never run different tire sizes with an lsd.

-The VLSD is not too good of an lsd for offroad use.

How do I change my Lsd from 3.7 to 3.9?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=36

Questions about LSD swap and just general Qs?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30872[/QuoTE]

Your hatch has a 3.9 ratio open rear diff.

There are two types of LSD's that came in Subaru's... a VLSD and a standard LSD. The Standard LSD is better for wheelin, and came in EA82's as an option... came in ALL RX's standard. THey are ALL 3.7 ratio, so before you can use one you will have to have it converted.

Really, all that info IS in the FAQ. There's even some info on converting a LSD in the USRM.

-Brian