Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GAS LEAKING! (Pics) FAST! PLEASE!

Ok on my 93 Loyale Wagon, 5 spd. Pushbutton. It leaks gas. The gas comes from infront of the Passeger side rear wheel, the car only leaks gas when the key is turned (thus starting the fuel pump) I dont know what this part is, it looks like some sort of filter that broke or something? sorry for the crap pictures... There is a hose, then this piece, and then another hose it sorta looks like this

===|O|===

=== is the hose

| are hose claps

O is the unidentified something?

Can I get this part at like autozone? or will they have to order it?

post-16154-136027616793_thumb.jpg

post-16154-136027616801_thumb.jpg

that's the fuel pump. there are hoses and clamps. if it's just the hose or clamps leaking you only need new hoses/clamps.

the fuel pump can fail and leak as well...usually when they are severly rusted but i'm sure it can happen other ways as well. in this case you'd need a new fuel pump. they are typically expensive new...approaching or exceeing $100. used for $25 or so.

the pictures are blurry so i can't tell where it's leaking from.

that little brass/plastic UFO-thing? if that's what's leaking, it's not the fuel pump - the fuel pump is the size and shape of an 8oz. canned beverage - I don't know what that thing its but you shoud be able to get one from the dealer or from the junkyard.

You might also consider putting new fuel line under there while you're at it..

that little brass/plastic UFO-thing? if that's what's leaking, it's not the fuel pump - the fuel pump is the size and shape of an 8oz. canned beverage - I don't know what that thing its but you shoud be able to get one from the dealer or from the junkyard.

You might also consider putting new fuel line under there while you're at it..

I do belive it is the brass plastic UFO thing....are you sure that that isnt the top of the fuel pump? and the other part maybe fell of? IDK?

check out pictures of the UFO (unidentified fueling object) at:

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1992&make=SU&model=LOY-4WD-001&category=All&part=Fuel%20Pump&dp=true

then check out that $262 price tag!!!!

fuel pressure regulator is usually in the engine bay as far as i know and also typically uses vaccuum. but maybe there's an additional regulator at the pump too? either way it's not replaceable as far as i know, still need the pump assembly. it does look like one...whos knows. find another pump though and you're golden. post the parts wanted section, someone probably has one to send you.

the brass things are supposed to smooth out the pulses as the fuel as its being delivered. I dont know if it works or not, but there are TONS AND TONS of them at the junk yard. I cant see them costing more then a buck or two. and all that i have seen have hose clamps on both ends so they could be removed. hope that helps

If I were you, I would rubber cap it at the tank until you can figure this all out. You may need a hose clamp too to keep the leakage of fuel at a minimum.

What you are dealing with is very dangerous!! Trying to fab something on-the-spot, with gas dripping all around is a serious accident waiting to happen. Don't mess with it until you get the leak under control!!

As far as a premanent fix, I would start with new hose & clamps at the tank, and work your way forward with fliter, pump etc until you can splice into solid metal fuel line. You do not have to use the original configuration- especially if it means spending $200+ for an OEM pump. You could pick up a universal-type aftermarket pump for under $50 that'll work fine, and I don't believe the fuel pressure damper is necessarily required on a non-OEM setup.

Personally, I like to go with a custom setup anytime I have to mess around in that area of the car. The OEM pumps, mounting hardware and lines are prone to corrosion, so re-configuring the pump/filter/lines with low-cost components makes a lot of sense (IMO).

Good luck, John

If I were you, I would rubber cap it at the tank until you can figure this all out. You may need a hose clamp too to keep the leakage of fuel at a minimum.

What you are dealing with is very dangerous!! Trying to fab something on-the-spot, with gas dripping all around is a serious accident waiting to happen. Don't mess with it until you get the leak under control!!

As far as a premanent fix, I would start with new hose & clamps at the tank, and work your way forward with fliter, pump etc until you can splice into solid metal fuel line. You do not have to use the original configuration- especially if it means spending $200+ for an OEM pump. You could pick up a universal-type aftermarket pump for under $50 that'll work fine, and I don't believe the fuel pressure damper is necessarily required on a non-OEM setup.

Personally, I like to go with a custom setup anytime I have to mess around in that area of the car. The OEM pumps, mounting hardware and lines are prone to corrosion, so re-configuring the pump/filter/lines with low-cost components makes a lot of sense (IMO).

Good luck, John

No time, I have to have a ride.

I need a used fuel pump pulsator (mine is cracked), I am trying to sell the car, so i need to get some things under control. there are NO JY's around me, and Autozone, pep boys, etc. don't carry them..

Thanks, for the concern,

Tyler

I had one leaking on a Chevy pickup of mine a while back. Called a fuel pump pulsator, or dampener... The guy in parts told me to take it out and splice the hose with a coupler.. I took it out... No change noticed in anything.. My recommendation: Take it off and leave it off... Spend a few bucks on a hose coupler and a couple of new clamps and be done with it..

No time, I have to have a ride.

I need a used fuel pump pulsator (mine is cracked), I am trying to sell the car, so i need to get some things under control. there are NO JY's around me, and Autozone, pep boys, etc. don't carry them..

Thanks, for the concern,

Tyler

I would just bypass the pulsator with a section of rubber hose. I have eliminated them before without adverse effects. If too much fuel gets pumped to the intake, it'll just be returned to the tank anyway.

You might be able to vise grip the hose somewhere before the pulsator to slow down fuel leakage. If nothing else, get some cat litter on the ground to make the gas less flammable.

good luck John

I had one leaking on a Chevy pickup of mine a while back. Called a fuel pump pulsator, or dampener... The guy in parts told me to take it out and splice the hose with a coupler.. I took it out... No change noticed in anything.. My recommendation: Take it off and leave it off... Spend a few bucks on a hose coupler and a couple of new clamps and be done with it..

THANK YOU ALL! I'm so glad this thing isn't needed. Now I can actually Fill up my tank again. Lol