Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever use

that is a SAFC? IIRC they can be used to compensate for larger injectors, and will probably work pretty well with an older system that doesnt "learn" like obd2. I have seen them installed on several obd1 cars too. I used to have a write up of an install on an impreza but dunno.

they are way cheap too, like less than a bill but they are kinda old school and ghetto. they use a bunch of knobs you turn to tune it right?

Ohh Bobbo... Are you trying to rig something up for the ER27T? I decided that the modification we are doing deserves it's own ID. I think its only appropriate for mechanical genius' such as ourselves. Ok, maybe genius is a little strong. Maybe... schizophrenic? Maybe... I'm a very good mechanic... definitely good mechanic...definitely... good with wrenches...yeah, wrenches.:clap: Remember, Dave said the motor would take 14psi with the stock ECU and injectors.:headbang:

unless you get a converter for the signal going into and out of the safc, it wont work. you will hit fuel cut at part throttle, or something like that. the stock system uses a 12v signal from the maf and the safc is for newer cars that run a 5v signal.

john, you had it right the firsst guess there man.

I'm not familar with the system, but if it uses a 5v ref and the Sub ref is 12v it seems to me you would just have to figure out the proper resistor to install in line to achieve the proper volatge/current drop. This might however effect the 0 - 5v reading you are trying to get. And then the issue of, will the signal be clean enough. JMTC

how bout this everyone.... is there a car out there from the early 90s that uses the same or a similar MAF? Maybe like an MR2 or a nissian or something?

I would presume "same MAF" would also have the same voltage problem. You might be able to find something that will generate the voltage you need (i.e. be a 5V MAF) that will fit in the same location or style, is that what you are looking for?

If so, my money would be on a 300ZX-T or RX-7 3rd gen.

2nd gen RX-7s have a mass airflow sensor that works with 0-5v, 3rd gen RX-7s don't have a MAF - the use a MAP system.

You could make a SAFC/AFC/etc work, but you'd need active voltage division before the unit, and multiplication afterwards.

You could do it fairly easily with a few opamps - a 3x divider/multiplier should be fine.

The problem, as pointed out earlier, is that the EA series Subarus have a 10-12v MAF sensor, and the SAFC units work with a 5v signal. It'd work fine until you hit 5v on the MAF, then it'd clamp & the engine wouldn't run beyond that airflow.

If anyone's interested in playing with this, let me know - I could whip up a voltage divider/multiplier set & send it out for you to play with. I have a SAFC-II in my 2nd gen RX-7, so I'm fairly familiar with the units.

-=Russ=-