Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why does 2006 forester seem slower than 1993 legacy?

Hi, our subaru went in for service and we got a free rental. We took the drive for a long trip, and it seems slow? Its just a basic 2.5 non turbo, and compared to my 1993 legacy wagon 2.2l non turbo (with almost 300000km) it seems quicker on take off. The forest they gave us has 2000km. Anyone else kind it slow. But once it taken off the forester then flies. But from 0KM its super slow especially with foot down. WIth my legacy the car jumps up, lol. And they both top 200km fairly easily. Anyone think maybe the car needs to be broken in? Because we rreally like the forester, but we also want fast vehicle. Anyone else have this issue?

I don't have the numbers and haven't researched it, but I believe the newer cars are geared a little higher than the older ones. Either that or it's just because the wheels are larger and having the same effect. This would explain the Forester's slower acceleration from a stop.

several reasons. One is a brick. on e is not aerodynamically. one is heavier then the other

forester is a hair over 3165 lbs vs 2860 for the legacy. Gearing is differnt between the two cars. . Also look at the tire sizes. One has 14" wheels the other has 16" All this will have an effect on it.

nipper

I had a '95 Jetta that FELT quick, only because the chassis was so light and uninsulated from the road that almost any speed was scary. Newer cars are much more refined. Maybe it's partly perception.