Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the most overpriced EA-82 ever

So i was looking at my sad little 87 GL-10, with 140,000 on it, and rust eating the rear windshield out of its frame... (slowly, but surely..) its a two wheel drive, NA auto.. and part of me is ready to say eff it, and find a five speed to throw in it... but then part of me thinks, maybe i could find one to buy fairly cheap... cuz i hear subaru, i think, four wheel drive, five speed, maybe turbo... (my dad bought an 89 XT-6 brand new, and that was the coolest car ive ever ridden in.. faster, nicer, maybe, but not "Cooler".. ive always thought the thing looked like a spaceship.)

okay, maybe MAYBE the mileage and condition warrant a premium price, but COME ON!!!!!!

clicky

ridiculous..... i mean, beautiful car, but still..

heres a cut-n-paste from the ad..

Features: Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, AM/FM Radio, Trip Odometer, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, Power Mirrors, Alloy Wheels, Clock, Interval Wipers, Rear Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Cloth Upholstery, Luggage Rack

its an 86 GL auto 4wd wagon, with alloy wheels.. for $5995!!!!!!!!

SIX GRAND for a 65,000 mile car?! I may be a Soob-Noob, but somehow i dont think its worth THAT.....

while im posting, here is a really nice XT.....

XT Turbo clicky

like i said, a spaceship.... THAT one is tempting because i DO have my car for spare parts, and at least SOME of the motor stuff has to be interchangeable between those cars.. and like, fuel pumps and stuff... but i just picutre myself in that thing with a nice IC on it, and some turbo work... having FUN...........

That is one very sweet GL. But come on...it's 20 years old. $6k is a bit outrageous. If you're seriously considering it, I'd try talking them down. That dealer is probably going to have a pretty hard time getting rid of a 20-year-old car for $6k. They might accept a reasonable offer. Then again, they may not. If I were in the area and in the market for a new(ish) car, I'd certainly at least try.:grin: Sure, I love my Impreza, but the old gen cars really seem to draw on me. If I could find a decent one around here with more than half a body left, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

i wasnt seriously looking at either one of the cars, nor even suggesting that anyone else do so.. i just thought it was likely a high high price for the wagon, and just thought the XT was Cool.....

as i have said elsewhere, my dad bought an 89 xt6 brand new, to replace his 72 240 that got totaled when a 10 point buck jumped outta the woods, off of his hood (he was doing 65 mph on NC State 115) and back into the woods on the other side... and he wound up in the ditch. He had the 6-cyl, but that EA82T in the car is really a fascinating idea to me.. since thats the same motor thats in my GL-10, except i got no turbo :- (

anyhow, i just thought the wagon was worth mentioning, and i must have missed the previous conversation... if i had known i would have posted in that one. My apologies. i only brought the XT up because i was mildly curious to see what unsolicited remarks would be made about the price.

It seems high, but I'd give between 5 and 6 grand for that one, especially with only 66K miles and in such really nice condition.. Heck, I recently paid $5 grand for a 87 Samurai with 3 times the miles, but everything on the truck was mint... I'd say it's worth the money as a classic in that condition..