Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power window problem

Usually it's just the switch contacts. They can be dissasembled and cleaned.

GD

I'm with GD. Take the switch out, go to a well-lit place with some room, and relaxed state of mind. Not a tough job, but a bit tedious with a need for attention to detail and steady hands.

Lay down an old t-shirt on a flat surface and begin to dissasemble the switch. There are several small parts including springs. The contacts carry lots of current and will often carbon up the surface. Smooth and clean them with a contact points file, or emery cloth. Reassemble. Reinstall

Nick

electrical problems like that can be made much easier to troubleshoot and fix if you have a multimeter.. and harbor freight has digital multimeters for five bucks. alot of auto parts stores and home depot stores have them el cheapo as well. they are certainly not the best units, but they are a bit more information than a test light at least, and it makes a WORLD of difference. my 5 dollar disposable harbor freight multimeter is one of the best five bucks i ever spent. I have access to a better one when i NEED it, and actually got my old craftsman working again.. but its a worthy investment.

It may be easier to use a test light to see if the switch is ok. Just probe the switch contacts to see if they are making contact when you move the switch. You can also swap the switch with the one from the other side. The problem may also be a broken wire in the door jamb.

the wires that go from the power window relay to the center consol switch run under the carpet right under your feet beneath the carpet in the front. maybe the insulation has worn off in a spot and grounded out some how. I say first off lift up the carpet on the driver's side and check the condition of the wires.