Ultimate Subaru Message Board

right side engine problems

Rev the engine and try your method again - if it still does it throughout the RPM range, then your problem is something like a head gasket..... My guess would be a vacuum leak on that side of the manifold if it only does it at or close to idle.

Check the plugs too, but that's not usually a problem for these engines.

GD

sounds like a broken timing belt (if this has two belts). i doubt its a blown head gasket as the typical subaru failure mode is not cylinder to cylinder but cylinder to water jacket (not that it doesnt happen). If it has one belt (i dont remeber) do a compression test, but its odd to have two dead cylinders.

How many miles on this and when was the last timing belt change

nipper

I got the same problem only mine is on the left. Just put in a used engine and lined up both timing belts correctly, but only right side works.:mad:

Did you rotate the crank before putting the second belt on? If not, then that side may be incorrectly timed.

ok so today i went and did a cylinder test and 3 out 4 should psi. so well im pretty sure its a stuck valve its #1 piston but what i did do is replace the spark plugs cause they were looking pretty bad. now my engine is running much much better not wanting to die... so im kinda lost :confused:

thanks for not talking about my problem or a solution

:headbang:

ok so today i went and did a cylinder test and 3 out 4 should psi. so well im pretty sure its a stuck valve its #1 piston but what i did do is replace the spark plugs cause they were looking pretty bad. now my engine is running much much better not wanting to die... so im kinda lost :confused:

what are you talking about, three out fo four should psi? what DOES that mean. That makes no sense.

What numbers did you get?

Man,we try to help you but you dont tell us what you got, not to mention that scentence just does NOT make sense. We dont speak gibberish, and cant help with no information.

We need to know the numbers

Did you also do a wet test?

What were those numbers?

nipper

derr i guess i should have proof read it. sorry anyways i had 3 out 4 pistons have pressure. the 3 at about 100 and the 1 at 0 which is piston 1. i can also pull off the disty cables on the right side and doesnt effect the engine

:clap:

i hate to tell you this, but you have a tired engine. 100 psi is low, ive seen lower.

a wet/dry test would tell us it its rings vs valves, but i think the point may be moot. engine compression should be 120 minimum, with 160 prefered, and no more then 10% variance betrween cylinders.

Now it is possible your timing belt jumped and that would explaine the 100, but that wont explaine zero.

nipper

lol great, thanks for the quick feedback. so im not sure what a wet test is but im planin on pullin the engine this weekend and lookin at the valves or anything else that may be wrong. i know my oil light keeps commin on so ill probably replace the pump aswell

:headbang:

Why must you give me bad news?

a wet test is the same as a dry but you squirt oil in the ctylinders first.

Low oil pressure is not necassarly a bad oil pump, but bad bearings. This engine is very tired.

nipper

hmm so i should just do th ej22 in it huh.. ill tell my gf you gave me the go so i can do it hehe

:banana:

tell her in the long fun your better off, as the car may throw a rod otherside, especially after putting all that work into it, how many miles on this puppy?

Sounds like the head gasket let go on cylinder #1. Being an EA81 you have no belts, so valve timing is not an issue. A reading of 0 pretty much rules out rings, and unless a valve is stuck (unlikely) it's the head gasket. I've seen plenty of EA81 and EA82 engines that lost compression in just one cylinder. It's usually overheating that blows them from a coolant passage into the combustion chamber. Bought a wagon like that and was able to drive it 30 miles home stopping to check the coolant level a few times - even got it up to 60 MPH with three cylinders - compression was 0 on cylinder #3. Replaced that gasket and it was fine after that.

Sinking it in a mudhole is BAD - did the engine flood out? I did that one too many times to the engine in my wagon, which when I started was in very good shape and only 145k on it. Only 20k later and my lack of replacing the oil pump, and too many dips into the swamp water did the rod bearings in - even with frequent oil changes. I blew one doing 75 MPH on the freeway.

200k is not "tired" for an EA81 unless it's been badly maintained (sounds plausible in your case). Your lack of oil pressure is disturbing, and I fear that even if you do the head gasket that at this point your bottom end may be so damaged that it would be a waste of time and effort.

GD

Sinking it in a mudhole is BAD - did the engine flood out? I did that one too many times to the engine in my wagon, which when I started was in very good shape and only 145k on it. Only 20k later and my lack of replacing the oil pump, and too many dips into the swamp water did the rod bearings in - even with frequent oil changes. I blew one doing 75 MPH on the freeway.

200k is not "tired" for an EA81 unless it's been badly maintained (sounds plausible in your case). Your lack of oil pressure is disturbing, and I fear that even if you do the head gasket that at this point your bottom end may be so damaged that it would be a waste of time and effort.

GD

maybe i should have used the word, beat. i dont know if subarus that are well maintained ever get tired, but compression that low is a tired engine.

i know its rare for the bottom end ot og bad, but adding up all the symptons, sounds like its had a rough life.

Good luck.

nipper