Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more discussion on towing a trailer

Have read many of the threads on this site aout towing a trailer and no-one seems to have had any issues. I have to drive my 2001 LLBean 3.0 automatic almost 1000 miles from one end of California to the other, towing a U-Haul trailer - mostly freeway miles. Manual says total towing limit is 2000 pounds, but with no passengers can that be increased? I want to pull a total trailer and load weight around 2500 pounds. Any experience?

Not only will you be putting undue strain on your tranny.. I'm told you should ABSOLUTELY NOT tow something that is more than (50% ?) of the weight of your vehicle. I.E. 2000lbs counting trailer should not be pulled (or rather, attempted to be stopped) by a vehicle that weighs less than 4000lbs. I could be wrong.. but that is the way I understand it.

Not only will you be putting undue strain on your tranny.. I'm told you should ABSOLUTELY NOT tow something that is more than (50% ?) of the weight of your vehicle. I.E. 2000lbs counting trailer should not be pulled (or rather, attempted to be stopped) by a vehicle that weighs less than 4000lbs. I could be wrong.. but that is the way I understand it.

That would mean a full size pickup could only tow 3000 lbs.

If your vehicle is built for it you can tow trailers that are heavier then your vehicle without a problem. You need brakes on the trailer if it weighs more then 1000 lbs. If the brakes are working correctly then you should barely notice the trailer even on a hard brake from freeway speeds.

I towed a loaded 3500 lb U-haul trailer from Ottawa to Vancouver (about 3000 miles) with a 2700 lb Ram 50 pickup (Mitsubishi) without a problem.

The only thing I would worry about is over heating the auto trans on the Subaru. (My truck was a 5 speed so no worries)

It's your car, and your call, but I would do it. The same model Subarus are rated for much higher tow limits in Europe. The 4EAT AT, I believe, is the same one used in Subaru's highest output vehicles. The engine and tranny should be able to handle it.

My worries:

Mountains- if you're towing in mountainous regions all bets are off.

High temperatures- high temperature might put a strain on your AT.

Stopping. My major worry. Subaru specs trailer brakes for loads over 1,000 lbs. I've towed 1,500 lbs in my 2.5L Forester (with one passenger) from South Carolina to Key West and back (1,500 miles). It's flat most of the way. Braking was managable, but trailer brakes may have been better. No problems, no overheating, and no sweat. I would want trailer brakes for a 2,500 lbs load. A blown tranny, although probably unlikely, can be fixed with money, a rear-ended car is a whole different problem. I've been to So. California, traffic really sucks.

I agree on the cooler; a permacool 1-1/2" x 7" x 18" fit in my 00 OBW. For regular towing I would want a big cooler and a ATF temp gauge. Without the gauge you don't know how hot the ATF is. I prefer to keep it below 180 deg. F. Nearing 250 deg. F for extended periods is asking for trouble. If you can't/don't want to install a cooler, I would at least change the ATF after the trip and maybe also before if it hasn't been changed lately. Synthetic ATF will probably be more resistant to oxidation than dino ATF.

+2 on the tranny cooler and the synth fluid. It's a mandatory step in order to not fry the trans early-on because of heat. Install a cooler - don't skip it.

Also drop your speed a bit because ...I hate to say it, but Subaru brakes suck.

**** ******!

I've towed more then my Outback Sport is rated for (1850 lbs rated for 1500 lbs)for short distances before, mine is a 5 speed and it gets going just fine. Only thing is you have to plan ahead for stoping, I'm always on very rural roads and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable on major highways if I had to make a quick stop. On the otherhand if you have trailer breaks it may be a very diffrent situation. Overall these cars seem to make very good towing vehicles. There used to be an article online about a guy in europe who uses his 2000 Outback to deliver campers and has over 500,000 miles on the original engine and tranny.

I would not do more than 2000 pounds period. And if the trailer does not have brakes, I would knock another 500 pounds off of that. Trying to stop is what could kill you. A panic stop at speed with that much weight is a scary thing. Its not worth the risk. IMHO

John C.

+2 on the tranny cooler and the synth fluid. It's a mandatory step in order to not fry the trans early-on because of heat. Install a cooler - don't skip it.

Also drop your speed a bit because ...I hate to say it, but Subaru brakes suck.

**** ******!

Get some PBR Metal master brakes ...ten fold better than stock!

can you rent the truck and tow the car? or are you trying to do this on the cheap?

if you do tow with your automatic subaru, definitely install an aftermarket transmission cooler. also - if you're pulling a hill and the transmission is searching for a gear (downshifting, upshifting, downshifting) because of the incline, go ahead and manually put it in the lower gear (3rd) just for pulling the hill. when you get to the top, switch it back into Drive. just avoid the searching and constant shifting of the trans.

one time is not a big deal, avoid traffic, drive slow and be very careful. ideally don't plan on doing it in one day. best to be alert and take it seriously, not being pressed for time. your car can definitely handle it, it is far more risky than not towing though. this is a question of statistics. you are much more likely to wreck the vehicle while towing, and even more so while towing such a large weight. but it can surely be done without harm to the vehicle.

if you plan on doing this more than once, get the vehicle wired for electric brakes and tow trailers that are equipped with them. you can get away once without them, be overly cautious though. other people do not drive any different because you're towing something. you have to drive differently.

The topic is pretty well covered but here are some towing ideas. When you stop for a break, feel the tires and wheel hubs, heat usually comes before failure. Shake the whole rig and see if you can find anything loose, wheel bearing, hitch mount, etc.

If you blow a tire or lose a wheel with this rig you will likely end up in a ditch. Don't fight for control if you do blow a tire. You will only be able to gently suggest a direction and will likely make it worse if you fight it.

Check your emergency flashers occasionally. If they work you probably have brake lights and turn signals also.

Your brake fluid and transmission fluid should be clean when you start. If you don't know that they are clean it is time to change them before they are a problem.

The balance of the trailer is critical. Read about tongue weight. If you have more weight behind the axle on the trailer it is very unstable and dangerous.