Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Muffler Questions...

My car is not a turbo, but I have a "turbo" muffler on it that works really well.

It is the Thrush "mini-turbo" that I ordered from Summit Racing for less than $20. It fits in the stock location, can clamp right on to the stock pipe once the original muffler is removed, sounds mean but not obnoxios or ricy, and gives more ground clearance than the original.

I have a 91 Loyale and I replaced my stock muffler with a magnaflow muffler. It's round like the stock one and fits right where the stock one was. From what i remember, inlet/outlet is the same size as the stock piping or it may be a 1/2" bigger. It really doesn't matter. I had the mechanic add a nice flared piece of pipe to look like a tip.

I don't remember where I got it, but I'll do a search.

Here are some pics:

post-1439-136027585817_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by trooperjeep

You guys are awsome!

Thanks for the info!

By the way... how do you attach pics into your posts?

I wanted to share pics of my "modified" Loyale with the group.

T.J.

Save them on your hard drive... make sure they're not too big. Go down below and click on the browse button and find the photo you want to attach and double click. Then click submit reply and that's it.

Hi All,

I just installed a "Cherry Bomb Turbo II" muffler into my 92 Loyale.

Maybe I'm getting old or something but... Geeezzz! It's really frekin' loud! It sounds worse than when it had a hole in the muffler!

:temper:

The worst part is the harmonic vibration. At 4200 rpms the entire car developes an annoying, really loud, Buzzing sound!

:banghead:

Long ago I had a DynoMax turbo muffler on my old V6 Isuzu Trooper but I don't remember it ever being that loud or annoying.

Is there any specific "brand" that is quieter than the other?

:confused:

T.J.

Just incase anybody is interested, on a '83 wagon I once owned I had a custom 1-7/8" exhaust with an OEM style round Dynomax Turbo muffler. The muff worked very well and cost $30 from JCWhitney. With this exhaust on a stock EA81 engine, it lost a bit of low end torque but improved high rpm and freeway performance.

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo81/Exhaust_side_view

Link is to the PS view of the Xcelerator Turbo mufflers I have on mine. 2", true dual, exaust system, built by, me.

I've had Turbo mufflers on other vehicles, but they've never sounded as good as these do. Don't really know if it's the muffler itself, or it's being on a Subaru motor.

But, MAN,,, do I love the way she talks when I nail the loud pedal.

Not as loud as a Harley in a full on hard roll-out in 2nd gear, but she's close..

And I have the Harley owners who will back that statement up. They love the sound of my little Subaru BRAT. Even like the looks of her.

UPDATE

Well... I returned the noisy Cherry Bomb and got a 2" universal fit that is an oval shape. It took a bit of welding and fiddeling, but now It tucks up under the body nicely and even gives the Suba-Roo exhaust more gound clearance. I have even noticed that it has a mild "deep" tone and a little better throttle response.

:D

T.J.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I know this is a year old but I'm curious. I've been searching for the last 5 minutes or so and have come up with limited info. Is there any mufflers that can be a direct replacement of the stock muffler on an EA82-T engined Subaru? I'm talking 2.5 - 3" mufflers. What are you folks using these days?

I really like the Dynomax series muffler as I have one on both of my XT6s. Nice sound to them depending on the modification to your exhaust. Never annoyingly loud though. I keep reading about thrust but is this thrust a direct fitment? Does it have the 'louvered core' piping inside? If so, I want to stay away from any mufflers with this type of core inside.