Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car has an unfriendly tenant

My car has a tenant:

spidersube2of0.jpg

I have done 100mph even, been down dusty bouncing roads, and rather lengthy trips down the highway...

This 7 legged monster, overnight for the past week and a half (that I have noticed) sets up camp from underneath the bumper. I took the photo awhile back to see what kind it was, and it is out there now even bigger. Anyone know what it is about the sube that seems to be as still as nature by the next morning? Maybe the old sube is petrifying, slowing down like old bones, returning to nature. Content with its surroundings, even with the rumbling old engine.:)

man spray that thing up with carb cleaner or something and kill it!!!:mad: i guess he already lost a leg somewhere

i hate spiders:-\ especially big ones, and ones that hiss:confused:

he/she/it isn't harming anything :(

leave the poor spidren alone

I have spiders in BOTH door mirrors, very annoying, every day I remove the webs between the mirror and the door(s) and the next morning they're back :rolleyes:

all that effort to make my 18 year old car look like new, and those stupid spiders ruin the whole look grrrr

btw, a royal garden hose flush didn't do a thing, hardy little bastards

Seeing that there, isn't a bad thing. I had troubles with this sube, didn't think the unibody was going to make it - seemed "squishy", not a good sign for an old car body. After fixing some electrical, and other things, I think it has calmed down to sitting still. If it petrifies the right way and straight, I may see this car buzzing around for some time to come. I wonder how long the spiders live anyway....:)

If you can get that close to take a picture of it, you are close enough to vaporize it. Do this:

1. Use a CO2 pellet gun (with NO pellet/BB:rolleyes: in it) and blast it point blank with just the air charge.

2. Wash back of car.

3. Enjoy.

:D

I think I am going to start feeding it. Getting cold at night, he probably doesn't notice snuggled up with the wife in my bumper. I'll let him know I'm heading out by rattling the keys as I walk by. He'll roll up the web so as not rip my bumper off due to the web it spins being anchored to the ground, before I take off. :lol: The sube hasn't been targeted up front yet, such as by the mirrors by the critters. In due time I suppose.

I don't know if it is a he or a she :rolleyes:

Maybe I ought to name it...the 100mph spider.

ugh... i have a deep and abiding love for all creatures great and small, except for ants rats and spiders.. and ants and rats i have no problem with, if they arent causing an infestation issue.. but spiders creep me the hell out. sharks, pfft, i swim in the ocean. i see a shark i get out but no fear.. alligators, snakes, all of thats fine.. im not scared of anything, really.. except spiders... any time i see one in my way i kill it. i hate em. they have a tendency to bite me and whatever kind it may be, i react.. i dont have any other allergic type reactions that im aware of (beyond ant and mosquito bites, poison ivy, standard human "allergies") but s pider bite turns into a big welt at least, usually a two month bruise or something like that... bad things...

Its tucked away right now, it is cold out. Unusual sighting for me where I live. From southern new england, I saw that very spider and its family type all the time. Being some hardwood tree debris flew out of the vents when I first got this car, it may be indication of where it came from. I wonder if spiders lay eggs that dry like seeds, and come back to life in right places.:-\ I am still enthused about finding a live critter on the old sube content. This car was in bad shape beyond description when it came to "pleasant air" or energy around it and electrical weirdness. It is in a spot that gets engine down the driveshaft tunnell, and hasn't hurt my visitor yet.:)

This goofy thread really does have a strange point to make . the ol sube is clean running again...

they really can be conquered after a dozen or so years of "pig" (that is engine and people, and electrical) :)

I had a black widow that called my suby home.I was underneath my car cleaning it(prep for undercoating)when a big black widow crawled out from under the front fender rock guard.Jumped onto my hand and started up my arm.:eek: Oh I killed right then and made sure to flick it off real quick so it couldn't bite me!:-\

I have had a lot of widows in my subies (arizona) and don't like it! That one my friend looks like it could be a hobo spider (yikes!) So it's either totally harmless or totally packed with poison. Honestly, I wouldn't take my chances. Get a jar, catch it, release it out in the woods. Or if you don't mind just knock it off of there and smash it.

It's not a Hobo spider, it's an Orb Weaver (in fact Orb Weaver's eat Hobos) not particularly aggressive and does not have the same type of necrotic effects that the poison of the Hobo does.

BTW, when I replaced my side mirror lat month I found a yellow jackey nest (a good sized one) inside the old mirror...now THAT's a unfriendly tenant :eek:

Kevin

I was starting on the interior of my wagon yesterday, I turned on the heater to check it and it made a horrific grinding sound and then blew the fuse. I crawled under to check/replace it since it sounded like the worst bearing noise ever. I popped the fan out and pecans poured out, the entire fan assembly and surrounding ducts were full of pecans. They covered the passenger side floor. I dumped 'em under a tree and then put the fan back, replaced the fuse and it works fine... Mr Squirrel is going to have to find another warehouse, only I get to fill my car with junk food. I just hope I'm not going to end up with aroma of roasting squirrel poop coming out of my heater this winter...

I will trade you that spider for the mouse that keeps getting in my car at night and eating my rolliads. That mouse wont ever have heartburn. Dosent live there just comes in to eat rolliads then leaves. Spiders in some cultures are good luck so i try not to kill them unless they can harm me(aka widows brown recluse). So leave it be it will lay its eggs soon and die, then you will have thousands of good luck charms. Did you know they have found spiders 30.000 feet in the air? They let them thaw out and they came back to life. 16_7_3.gif

I will trade you that spider for the mouse that keeps getting in my car at night and eating my rolliads. That mouse wont ever have heartburn. Dosent live there just comes in to eat rolliads then leaves. Spiders in some cultures are good luck so i try not to kill them unless they can harm me(aka widows brown recluse). So leave it be it will lay its eggs soon and die, then you will have thousands of good luck charms. Did you know they have found spiders 30.000 feet in the air? They let them thaw out and they came back to life. 16_7_3.gif

I bet it is true about the 30000 ft. Hurricane remnants fly through maine sometimes, I have found the darndest things- from birds I had never seen, to ocean sand on the car. Those storms never keep strength as it breaks apart over new england spewing its lightweight flying things all over the place. The most bizarre finding to date was fine sand embedded into my 87 dl dashboard just below right defrost vent. That particular storm had the actual "low pressure" hang on right through my neighborhood. It never left the dashboard.Someday I'm gonna find a critter that is more unlikely than the new england spider with 400 species in my bumper.. noaa is still hangin on to the high chance for northen hurricane prediction this year :confused:

The most bizarre finding to date was fine sand embedded into my 87 dl dashboard just below right defrost vent. :confused:

You should see what a tornado does to one. I bought a 1991 Loyale that took a major azz-whooping from a F2 here a few years ago. It was parked downwind from a bank that HAD a gravel roof. Pieces of gravel went through the dashboard. The seat backs had gravel imbeded in them. I found pieces of the tail lights shoved under the dashboard and in the front floorboards. All windows were dust and the entire rear side of the car looked as if it had been shot hundreds of times with buck shot. I didn't find any spiders on that one.:D

You should see what a tornado does to one. I bought a 1991 Loyale that took a major azz-whooping from a F2 here a few years ago. It was parked downwind from a bank that HAD a gravel roof. Pieces of gravel went through the dashboard. The seat backs had gravel imbeded in them. I found pieces of the tail lights shoved under the dashboard and in the front floorboards. All windows were dust and the entire rear side of the car looked as if it had been shot hundreds of times with buck shot. I didn't find any spiders on that one.:D

Did it still run?

Did it still run?

Yep. :burnout: I did not drive it at any speed for fear of glass fragments in the eyes:eek: . The whole inside of the car was coverd in glass fragments/dust. It donated some good parts and kept a few other Subies alive, so it's death was not in vain.

We have had some VERY large spiders this year (for the northeast):eek:

The big ones will fill the bottom of a mason jar (no lies -I will have to try and get a picture if I can) -UGH- SHIVERS

Big, furry, and they JUMP! (I thought they were MICE at first, seeing them run through the grass)

A wise man once said to me "I like spiders better than most people. Sure, they look creepy, but spiders cant help the way they are"

I DO agree with this, but I say if they are in "your" space....

SQUISH 'EM!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang::dead: (sorry all you spider-lovers)