Ultimate Subaru Message Board

20 questions

I should first say thank you so much to everyone who has been helping me with my GL I just got.

All question in regars to a 82 GL 4x4 4spd

1) Must I remove the hub nut to pull off the drum?

2) Is the Hub Nut 32MM?

3) E82 has some rubber piece you can remove to adjust(loosen) the brakes I assume this is not so with the E81?

3)I did my front brake pads and the pedal is non exsistant. Is there a way to test a master cylinder if my rears appear ok and after a bleed?

4) Is there a certain pattern to follow when bleeding?

5) My brake fluid cap should be off during bleeding?

6) On the back of the front calipers is a rubber boot. What is this for and is it ok if it has pin holes?

7) The brake line nut that screws into the caliper has a fluid hole. Should this match exact to the hole in the brake line?

8) I want to replace my bad half shafts. What needs disconnect? Brakes,Hub/Ball Joint etc,shocks?

9) Besides removal and install of half shafts is there anything to be aware of before starting?

10) My reverse gear grinds often should I worry or take this as a sign of other future gear problems?

11) Does early subaru boxer engines have that distinct sound like EJ boxers? (only heard with exhaust modifaction)

12) How often to you change your diff and tranny fluid?

13) How hard is it to change a clutch in an E81 for a fisrt timer?

14) Is there a FAQ or write up on doing a clutch install and half shaft install?

15) I ordered a Chiltons and Haynes manual. Is there a more comprehensive manual?

16) Can you buy an altenator rebuld kit?

17) Can you buy a caliper rebuilt kit?

18) Is there any replacement parts that are very scarce?

19) Is there any common problems with the stock ignition system?

20) I can get a full donar car with an 2.2 for only 200 dollars. Would you do it?

Again thanks so much if you have helped me with this problems. I could only imagine how many times these get asked.

I couldnt answer everything but here is my opinion on things

I should first say thank you so much to everyone who has been helping me with my GL I just got.

1) Must I remove the hub nut to pull off the drum?

2) Is the Hub Nut 32MM? No its 36 MM

3) E82 has some rubber piece you can remove to adjust(loosen) the brakes I assume this is not so with the E81?

3)I did my front brake pads and the pedal is non exsistant. Is there a way to test a master cylinder if my rears appear ok and after a bleed?

4) Is there a certain pattern to follow when bleeding? Same as any other vehicle

5) My brake fluid cap should be off during bleeding? cap should be on so not to allow more air into the lines

6) On the back of the front calipers is a rubber boot. What is this for and is it ok if it has pin holes? I believe that is for the E brake

7) The brake line nut that screws into the caliper has a fluid hole. Should this match exact to the hole in the brake line?

8) I want to replace my bad half shafts. What needs disconnect? Brakes,Hub/Ball Joint etc,shocks?

9) Besides removal and install of half shafts is there anything to be aware of before starting?

10) My reverse gear grinds often should I worry or take this as a sign of other future gear problems? Its a Subaru..every one I owned would grind going into reverse...make sure clutch is too the floor

11) Does early subaru boxer engines have that distinct sound like EJ boxers? (only heard with exhaust modifaction)EA71/EA81/EA82s all sound liek sewing machines or tractors..also the have HLA taps many times..replace oil pump seal and frequent oil changes...also MMO or Seafoam or ATF helps

12) How often to you change your diff and tranny fluid? I never changed tranny fluid and mine is FWD so I can't help with diff

13) How hard is it to change a clutch in an E81 for a fisrt timer? didnt seem too hard to me..with help from some long time experienced subaru workers...easier then any other FWD car on the market

14) Is there a FAQ or write up on doing a clutch install and half shaft install?How to Keep Your Subaru Alive or the FAQ section on this board

15) I ordered a Chiltons and Haynes manual. Is there a more comprehensive manual? Get a FSM...Haynes sucks and Chiltons isnt any better

16) Can you buy an altenator rebuld kit?

17) Can you buy a caliper rebuilt kit?

18) Is there any replacement parts that are very scarce?Getting harder by the day..keep on the good side of members some of us have some hard to come by parts

19) Is there any common problems with the stock ignition system? remember to pull the key out alittle ..typical EA81 problem

20) I can get a full donar car with an 2.2 for only 200 dollars. Would you do it? I prefer keeping old school just that..old school..I adore the EA81 and EA82s rock solid,non-interference,push rod driven..so what they lack power ..they are just cooler then new stuff.easier to work on too.Remember these are getting close to being Classics..engine swaps and all ruin value when it comes to classics.

Again thanks so much if you have helped me with this problems. I could only imagine how many times these get asked.

> 16) Can you buy an altenator rebuld kit?

The front and rear bearings are standard, can be bought at any bearing supply house pretty cheap. Get the ones with contact seals. I have been "borrowing" brushes from other alternators - one wears much quicker than the other. Rectifiers & regulators from alts. with overly worn slip rings. All my alternators needed brushes before 190K, amazingly consistant.

A cure for a common emissions system failure:

http://users.adelphia.net/~davidtief/solenoid.html

If you have a SPFI engine, check the fuel pump and protect the damper from rusting.

Timing belts change every 40K miles.

Check all coolant hoses, not just the 2 main radiator and heater hoses.

Check the radiator, especially in the corners of the electric fan. If the fins are gone / falling out, get a new rad. before the tubes split.

Overheat from low coolant = at minimum, new head gaskets.

Dave

10) My reverse gear grinds often should I worry or take this as a sign of other future gear problems?

I found that if you first shift into second (without engaging the gear), keeping the clutch pedal to the floor, then shifting into reverse, the chance of grinding is reduced (this was somthing that i noticed in my 1989 accord though, maybe subaru is the same) Does anyone else use this method?

1) Must I remove the hub nut to pull off the drum?yes

2) Is the Hub Nut 32MM?36

3) E82 has some rubber piece you can remove to adjust(loosen) the brakes I assume this is not so with the E81?no,

3)I did my front brake pads and the pedal is non exsistant. Is there a way to test a master cylinder if my rears appear ok and after a bleed?check your hillholder for leakage,especially if you have already bled

4) Is there a certain pattern to follow when bleeding?

5) My brake fluid cap should be off during bleeding?not unless you are adding fluid.

6) On the back of the front calipers is a rubber boot. What is this for and is it ok if it has pin holes?probably the pivot mounting bolt,get a new boot

7) The brake line nut that screws into the caliper has a fluid hole. Should this match exact to the hole in the brake line?it should line itself up

8) I want to replace my bad half shafts. What needs disconnect? Brakes,Hub/Ball Joint etc,shocks? half shafts are in the rear.your cv's are in front.very common procedure.search for it.

9) Besides removal and install of half shafts is there anything to be aware of before starting??

10) My reverse gear grinds often should I worry or take this as a sign of other future gear problems?adjust your clutch and be nice to your tranny,it's not a truck

11) Does early subaru boxer engines have that distinct sound like EJ boxers? (only heard with exhaust modifaction)

12) How often to you change your diff and tranny fluid?do it now,by the time it comes around again you will know

13) How hard is it to change a clutch in an E81 for a fisrt timer?no better way to learn more about your car,and doing your cv's

14) Is there a FAQ or write up on doing a clutch install and half shaft install?yes,search

15) I ordered a Chiltons and Haynes manual. Is there a more comprehensive manual?how to keep your subaru alive

16) Can you buy an altenator rebuld kit? get a gm alt

17) Can you buy a caliper rebuilt kit?yes

18) Is there any replacement parts that are very scarce?your dash,cover it

19) Is there any common problems with the stock ignition system?

20) I can get a full donar car with an 2.2 for only 200 dollars. Would you do it?i will if you tell me where.:grin:

My answers in red, along with Brian's answers...

1) Must I remove the hub nut to pull off the drum?yes, yes

2) Is the Hub Nut 32MM?36, 36

3) E82 has some rubber piece you can remove to adjust(loosen) the brakes I assume this is not so with the E81?no,

3)I did my front brake pads and the pedal is non exsistant. Is there a way to test a master cylinder if my rears appear ok and after a bleed?check your hillholder for leakage,especially if you have already bled

4) Is there a certain pattern to follow when bleeding? passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front... always start from the furthest away from the master cylinder when bleeding ANY car.

5) My brake fluid cap should be off during bleeding?not unless you are adding fluid. I found it doesn't really matter, just watch the fluid level

6) On the back of the front calipers is a rubber boot. What is this for and is it ok if it has pin holes?probably the pivot mounting bolt,get a new boot. This is to cover up the parking brake mechanism portion of the caliper. It has grease in it so yes, we want water to stay out of there.

7) The brake line nut that screws into the caliper has a fluid hole. Should this match exact to the hole in the brake line?it should line itself up

8) I want to replace my bad half shafts. What needs disconnect? Brakes,Hub/Ball Joint etc,shocks? half shafts are in the rear.your cv's are in front.very common procedure.search for it.

9) Besides removal and install of half shafts is there anything to be aware of before starting?? Make sure everything is reattached correctly and you have no extra pieces.

10) My reverse gear grinds often should I worry or take this as a sign of other future gear problems?adjust your clutch and be nice to your tranny,it's not a truck

11) Does early subaru boxer engines have that distinct sound like EJ boxers? (only heard with exhaust modifaction) Boxers are boxers. No matter if they are VW or Subaru, they all have a distinct boxer sound.

12) How often to you change your diff and tranny fluid?do it now,by the time it comes around again you will know

13) How hard is it to change a clutch in an E81 for a fisrt timer?no better way to learn more about your car,and doing your cv's. Not very hard. Just pull the engine and like Brian said, might as well change the CVs since you'll have a lot more room to do them

14) Is there a FAQ or write up on doing a clutch install and half shaft install?yes,search

15) I ordered a Chiltons and Haynes manual. Is there a more comprehensive manual?how to keep your subaru alive

16) Can you buy an altenator rebuld kit? get a gm alt

17) Can you buy a caliper rebuilt kit?yes

18) Is there any replacement parts that are very scarce?your dash,cover it

19) Is there any common problems with the stock ignition system? Not really.

20) I can get a full donar car with an 2.2 for only 200 dollars. Would you do it?i will if you tell me where.:grin:

I found out the weakness of the reverse gear's the hard way at the show this weekend. Blew mine completely in the mud pit. Luckliy I didn't have to reverse on the trip home.

The problem (according to somone that's had them apart a number of times) is that the gear doesn't fully engage because the shift linkage is out of alignment. The shifter can also push the gear too far off the far end. The reverse set is a straight cut gearset, and when it's run without being fully engaged like that it will wear the edges of the gear teeth, and eventually strip the gear set.

The 5 speed's are a lot better - not because their gearset is different - but because the linkage is superior.

GD