Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Power Windows

Has anyone ever added a window switch to the passenger's side front door on an EA81? For whatever reason subaru thought that passenger would not need one. I have an auto up/auto down switch that I'd like to add, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and if I need to get any other parts besides the switch and how to wire it in.

There is a power window control unit hiding somewhere in the dash..... I vaugely recall it being behind the glove box....

I don't think you will be very succesful making it do the "auto-up" thing, as that's a function of the control unit I'm pretty sure. But wiring it to work like the center console switch should be pretty easy. Just pull the center console and run the four wires from that switch to the door and hook them in. Should be real simple.

If you really, really want the auto-up feature, you may need a second control unit, and the wireing diagrams. At least that's how I would do it. That way you don't have to dig around and mess up the wiring for the other windows. Might be easier in that case to grab an EA82 control unit and use that. They have the same feature, but the switch is a little different in that it has an extra "click" for the auto up and down feature..... so actually I'm not sure if that would work without it's switch too. Anyway - some thoughts for you.

GD

Has anyone ever added a window switch to the passenger's side front door on an EA81? For whatever reason subaru thought that passenger would not need one. I have an auto up/auto down switch that I'd like to add, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and if I need to get any other parts besides the switch and how to wire it in.

is the center console switch too far to reach for the passenger :grin:

the control unit on the last soob I parted was right with the Fuel pump control unit right above the hood release....

• 2 years later...

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread! Glad I found it again. :banana:

GD, good thinking on the secondary control unit. I think that will probably be the simplest, most cost efficient solution. I've already got a lot going on under the dash on my red wagon, but depending on the size of the control unit, I might be able to spare some real estate on the passenger's side.

Why subaru didn't do that in the first place, I'll never know!:rolleyes:

They did it cause they had the moto "who cares about the passengers..only the driver matters". But seriously the only reason the driver got the auto up and down feature and the passenger didnt is because the driver is the one that goes through the tolls and needs that freedom to be able to hit the switch and fumble for change at the same time without having to hold his/her hand on the switch the whole time. If it were me i would just write a note and tape it to the dash saying "window switch on the center console stupid" with an arrow pointing down.