Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How did subaru increas the ground clearance on the new outbacks

Exactly as the title states: how did they increase the gound clearance by 1.1" on the new gen outbacks??

Is this compared to other outbacks? i know outbacks have taller struts than normal legacies... maybe they gave them even taller struts? taller springs? 1" block lift? I don't know for sure. "Increase compared to what vehicle?"

I think he means in between the 04 and 05 models. My question within this question would be since they did raise it did it gain 1.1" of wheel travel or did they just block it? Also would this put a lot a stress on the half shaft. Old height 7.3" new height 8.4".

I think he means in between the 04 and 05 models. My question within this question would be since they did raise it did it gain 1.1" of wheel travel or did they just block it? Also would this put a lot a stress on the half shaft. Old height 7.3" new height 8.4".

Take a look at one, and you'll see that the shaft angle didn't change, at least not a noticeable amount.

if you look at the 2000-2004 outbacks, they're really not that high. nothing noticeable over any other wagon really.

if you look at the 05-06 there is definitely a difference and it is much higher.

in my 96, when i put the outback struts on, i'm up to around 9.5 (slightly lower...maybe 9.3/9.4) inches of clearance at the rear pumpkin.

they probably just tried harder than they did with the 00-04. taller struts would do it no problem.

I don't know how, but I know why, and don't like it....

Outback is now classified as a "light truck" so it doesn't have to meet the same gas mileage ratings.

I've heard this before and don't understand it compleatly. The Cartalk guys got upset about this a couple years ago too. Looking at a side by side comparison of the 2004 and 2005 outback wagon they have the exact same gas millage according to www.fueleconomy.gov. The 2005 also has somewhat lower green house gas emissions.

Yes i am talking about new gens compared to older gens (outbacks). My question is why not do what subaru did to the new gens - to our old gens. Raise it 2" w/ scorpion springs then 1" with subarus technique, and you know have close to 10.5" of clearance

Yes i am talking about new gens compared to older gens (outbacks). My question is why not do what subaru did to the new gens - to our old gens. Raise it 2" w/ scorpion springs then 1" with subarus technique, and you know have close to 10.5" of clearance

i've put serious concideration into king springs+outback struts, but my concern lies in the CV joints.

Apparently it is both different struts/springs, and subframe spacers. But SOA makes the point that the roll center of the new models is lower than the previous generation, partly because of the aluminum hood and rear hatch.

If that's the case then I really wonder where Subie takes there measurement because the bottom of the diff would be constant since tire size is consistant. Hmmm...

They can take their measurement from wherever they want to. They only have to pick a method that is somewhat defensible in court. However, from the numbers I've seen, Subaru has never measured the clearance from the pumpkin and claimed it in their documents. That is probably because the pumpkin is so much higher than all the other low points further forward.

Like I said before, Subaru didn't put a significantly steeper angle on the shafts. So talk about struts and springs is pretty meaningless.

all they have to do is move the lowest part of the car up to gain clearance. There are many ways to do it, some very subtle, some not. BY moving cross members, raising the rear diff, the exhaust system, lengthing drive shafts, tire size, it all adds up fast.

nipper

Ranger, the center og gravity might move with a lighter hood/bonnet, but the roll center is calculated from the suspension angles :D

There are two definitions of roll center. One is as you describe. But to quote Wikipedia as one source:

The most commonly used is the geometric (or kinematic) roll center, whereas the Society of Automotive Engineers uses a force based definition.

The "geometric" role center is only useful until a load is applied, since as a practical matter the center of mass of passenger cars is always above the geometric roll center (until they roll over, anyway). That's why SAE defines it as:

The point in the transverse vertical plane through any pair of wheel centers at which lateral forces may be applied to the sprung mass without producing suspension roll