Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently bought a Rebuilt 2.5 from ENGINES US . After about 3000 miles it through a connecting rod bearing . It is now in route back to engines us for warranty. The guy there said they would fix it and send it back. My Question is, Do I want that engine back since its had all kinds of bearing shavings circulating through it. That cant be good right? Im thinking the engine would need a total rebuild for it to be corrected.. I would appreciate any input on this matter as I will have to deal with the guy soon....in the next day or two..

Depends on why it threw a rod, and what the turnaround time is. Did it spin the bearing, or actually throw a rod. If they send out a repalcement in a fairly shoort time odds are its a differnt block. But best to call them and tell them you want a differnt engine.

nipper

Depends on why it threw a rod, and what the turnaround time is. Did it spin the bearing, or actually throw a rod. If they send out a repalcement in a fairly shoort time odds are its a differnt block. But best to call them and tell them you want a differnt engine.

nipper

Thanks for the reply

I believe it spun the bearing. I saw the play in the worn out bearing:probably about a eight of an inch overall, and the oil pan was full of bronze shavings, it looked like glitter. Im gonna be in touch with the guy at engines us tommorrow so Ill see what he has to say! Im just afraid they'll slap a new bearing in there without even dissassembling the engine and tell me its fine. and Im worried about the damage that was caused by the shavings

Thanks for the reply

I believe it spun the bearing. I saw the play in the worn out bearing:probably about a eight of an inch overall, and the oil pan was full of bronze shavings, it looked like glitter. Im gonna be in touch with the guy at engines us tommorrow so Ill see what he has to say! Im just afraid they'll slap a new bearing in there without even dissassembling the engine and tell me its fine. and Im worried about the damage that was caused by the shavings

Well this may be a little late, but check with the local BBB to see the companies rep. if you get a good report may put you at ease.

What they will do is take the engine apart to find the cause, which could be as simple as an assembly error (it happens).

The one thing about the boxer design is that its much easier to replace the bearings with the case split, and once you get to that point, its only another hour to do it right.

nipper

Well this may be a little late, but check with the local BBB to see the companies rep. if you get a good report may put you at ease.

What they will do is take the engine apart to find the cause, which could be as simple as an assembly error (it happens).

The one thing about the boxer design is that its much easier to replace the bearings with the case split, and once you get to that point, its only another hour to do it right.

nipper

thanks for the replies. the company says its been in business for thirty years and they have an excellent rating on Ebay over 1000 positive feed backs with only one negative, (I did not purchase it through E bay however).

when you mention "doing it right" What does that include?

thanks again

rich

I will tell you from experience that you will not be sorry for going through CCR. I have bought an EA82T, an EA81 and an EJ25 from them. I had a bit of trouble with the EA81 and it was replaced with a completly different motor. You will not find a better product, support, or for that matter people then the team at CCR. (I'm not a payed endorser, just a very happy customer:banana: :banana: :banana: ). Later, Tim

For what its worth I bought an EJ25 DOHC from CCR 18 months ago. After installing it in my 97 Legacy in my garage it fired up on the third turn of the motor and has been going great for 13k. If you need a motor they are the best. Never a single problem.

• 1 month later...

Well the saga continues

I got an engine back from Engines us on 11/6. They said they would be shipping me a different engine but on arrival I discovered that they sent me the same one back. I had marked this engine on the crank case and heads and the marks were there, although the block had been repainted. I was bummed but tried to stay thinking positive about the deal. Maybe they rebuilt the thing and reused the same block? Well , 1000 miles later and Im in the same situation , Rod knock with 4 weeks left on the warranty. I am now waiting for the guy to call me back from Engines Us. Needless to say Im FURIOUS Ive lost a bunch of money on that piece of crap engine. Im eating the labor charges every time it comes in and out...........Any advice would be appreciated... I hope they can get it right this time "third times a charm right?" Also I hope they'll work with me on extending the warranty or else they could send me ant old turd of an engine and say "so long sucker , warrantys up now"

i'd document everything you can and tell them you mean business. they will likely balk and take forever, delay and hope you crawl away and do nothing. stay on it like a hornet and you're golden. start backing down and you're throwing your money away. ask for a refund. they're probably hoping you just quit due to install/remove/shipping expenses, give up and they make the money. look at ccr or it's nice to have a quality/trusted local guy that you can work with as well.

if you paid for it on credit card, i'd dispute the charges, have the credit card company do their thing with them (refuse payment/etc). companies want happy customers when the customer has financial recourse.

I went through a similar same set of problems with a rebuilt engine. CCR engines aside, rebuilt engines often seem to create more problems and expense than they solve.

The only thing that saved me was that I bought the replacement engine through the installer. That way the installer had total legal responsiblity for the entire job. Otherwise the rebuilder would have said "we sent you a good engine, that crummy installer screwed it up". And the installer would have said, "I did a great install job, it's that piece of crap engine from the rebuilder". The installer and rebuilder would have bounced me back and forth like a ping-pong ball. THEY DEFINITELY HOPE THAT YOU GET DISCOURAGED AND JUST GO AWAY.

I had to sue the installer in small claims court. I won, but it was not an experience I would want to go through go through again. It's my opinion that there are fair amount of morally challanged people in the rebuild business. Watch yourself.

I went through a similar same set of problems with a rebuilt engine. CCR engines aside, rebuilt engines often seem to create more problems and expense than they solve.

The only thing that saved me was that I bought the replacement engine through the installer. That way the installer had total legal responsiblity for the entire job. Otherwise the rebuider would have said "we sent you a good engine, that crummy installer screwed it up". And the installer would have said, "I did a great install job, it's that piece of crap engine from the rebuilder". The installer and rebuider would have bounced me back and forth like a ping-pong ball. THEY DEFINITELY HOPE THAT YOU GET DISCOURAGED AND JUST GO AWAY.

I had to sue the installer in small claims court. I won, but it was not an experience I would want to go through go through again. It's my opinion that there are fair amount of morally challanged people in the rebuild business. Watch yourself.

I'm begining to not regret spending the premium for a Subaru Hybrid rebuild (with the subaru 3/36 warrenty)

nipper

So sorry to hear about your experience. It's a drag when a _junkyard_ engine is a dud, but when you go the "safe" route of paying for a rebuild -w- warranty, you expect years of good service.

Did you pay for this engine with a credit card? Perhaps your credit card co will allow you to do a chargeback. Even if not, you can threaten to do a chargeback to add some leverage to your negotiations with the rebuilder. At this point, I'd be angling for your money back, not a 3rd engine from the same company.

Nathan

Well the saga continues

I got an engine back from Engines us on 11/6. They said they would be shipping me a different engine but on arrival I discovered that they sent me the same one back. I had marked this engine on the crank case and heads and the marks were there, although the block had been repainted. I was bummed but tried to stay thinking positive about the deal. Maybe they rebuilt the thing and reused the same block? Well , 1000 miles later and Im in the same situation , Rod knock with 4 weeks left on the warranty. I am now waiting for the guy to call me back from Engines Us. Needless to say Im FURIOUS Ive lost a bunch of money on that piece of crap engine. Im eating the labor charges every time it comes in and out...........Any advice would be appreciated... I hope they can get it right this time "third times a charm right?" Also I hope they'll work with me on extending the warranty or else they could send me ant old turd of an engine and say "so long sucker , warrantys up now"

I paid for the engine via a electronic bank transfer, so I dont have a credit dard transaction to back me up. The guy I got the engine from seems sincere in making this "right". He claims that he did not know that they were sending me back the same engine. The engine bulder is in california and he is in colorado, so hes just a middle man who never even sees the engines. And it sounds like hes willing to extend the warranty out for a while on this next engine. I also mentioned that Ive been communicating with everyone on the message board about this so there are a lot of people waiting to see how this goes? Ill keep you guys posted, and thank you for your advice

• 1 month later...

well now im on my third engine from ENGINES US and no warranty left. Ive got a ticking lifter on the left side , A oil leak that developed after 500 miles and now ive noticed antifreeze dripping out of a hole in my exhaust , betwwen the c.c and the muffler. I need advice as Im on my own now.

Is it a cracked head? Or could it possibly bee a leaky intake manifold gasket as I have read on the forum here. Although Im confused with how a leaky intake gasket could cause this..Maybe its a dumb question but if some one could explain I would appreciate it thanks

I'm not an attorney, but I don't think that you're "on your own" even if you're past the warranty period. The rebuilder had a duty to provide you with a servicable engine, according to you, he NEVER did that.

There seems to be very little negative on the web concerning Enginesus. Maybe "Bob" will make it right. You never know. I was never able to find an address for Enginesus. Their location on Ebay is listed as "USA", which takes in quite a bit of real estate. Their website appears to provide only a toll-free number and an e-mail address. So, out of curiosity, where are these guys located?

I prefer to purchase high ticket or high risk items from sellers in my own state. It is much, much easier to bring the seller before a judge if things go sour. CCR, Inc would be one notable exception.

I'm not an attorney, but I don't think that you're "on your own" even if you're past the warranty period. The rebuilder had a duty to provide you with a servicable engine, according to you, he NEVER did that.

There seems to be very little negative on the web concerning Enginesus. Maybe "Bob" will make it right. You never know. I was never able to find an address for Enginesus. Their location on Ebay is listed as "USA", which takes in quite a bit of real estate. Their website appears to provide only a toll-free number and an e-mail address. So, out of curiosity, where are these guys located?

I prefer to purchase high ticket or high risk items from sellers in my own state. It is much, much easier to bring the seller before a judge if things go sour. CCR, Inc would be one notable exception.

Bob atwood is located in Paonia Colorado, The engines are shipped out of San Leandro California, From a third party Engine builder, Japan Engines and the address of the bank where I originally wired the money to purchase the engine was in Las Vegas. Bob did give me an Extra 30 day on the warranty, from the date the last engine was shipped, The antifreeze leak started one week after that warranty expired. I did not purchase through Ebay but was confident because of all the positive ebay feed back. I was desperate get an engine and did not want to wait 10 more days for the auction to end....... big mistake, thanks Dude , for taking an interest.