Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check this problem out!

Boy yesturday sucked big time.....

It all started while I was heading down I-205 South going to work, I noticed the car around town ONLY when I would make a left turn would severly buck and shake, then after the turn was over it would go back to normal, this kept happening all day and only on left turns, so I'm getting on I-205 waiting at the meter lights and a White 2004-05 STI with Exhaust and who knows what else rolls up next to me, so I rev alittle to get his attention, he looks over and laughes at me and gives me the thumbs down, so I decide to give him a little wake up call, when my light turns green I dump the clutch at 4500rpm and take off spinning all 4 tires (smoke everywhere) I then look in the mirror and see his front end jump up as he gets on it to catch me, but to his dismae I'm holding ground and doing over 90mph at this point still ahead :lol: I then slow down and he catches up and gives me the thumbs up! :headbang:

Then about 5min later I goto pass a truck and get on it and the car suddenly bucks HARD and smoke fills the cabin (electrical) the car dies and I coast off to the side of the road, cranks but wont start.

Anyone had this problem before? I'm stumped :(

the turning issue is most likely separate..

things to check include but are not limited to:

strut rod bushings

ball joint

tie rod end (unlikely I think)

bad CV axle / loose axle nut / missing roll pin at trans

bad wheel bearings

lugnuts on tight? probably.

transmission mounts OK?

brake caliper - loose or ???

good luck!

well, wait.. you would probably have been steering to the left when passing the truck... hm. no idea...

ok im really pissed off and confused now :

Today I traced the smell to the computer, so I went to the u pull it and got another computer, put it in and guess what it fired right up!

so I took off and as soon as I made a LEFT turn it DIED and smoke rolled out from under the dash again! Now it wont start again.

IM STUMPED!

I agree, check for shorts under the dash. I need to do the same thing after reading this post. Not too long ago I heard a clicking sound under the steering column every now and again. The last time it did it I reached up and pushed everything around a bit in frustration and the sound went a way. There's relays, the fuse panel and a bunch of connectors under there.

Maybe its why my car stumbles and tries to stall too??

Thanks for reminding me.....

Ok progress made finally!>?!?!

I decided to rip out all the wiring in the dash and engine/chassis harness and inspect everything, about 5 hours later I found the air flow meter harness to be the problem.

I opened up the insulation to find 2 of the wires melted together! I cut out the bad sections and repaired the harness, the car still wont start but I bet I chooked this ECU as well, so its back to u-pull it tomarrow for another ECU. It's funny because right when I was about to give up I found the problem by accident, I so wanted to sell this car today it's not even funny.

I will keep you guys posted.

i'm glad you found your problem...however, the question i have is....you smoked all four tires with an EA82 motor?

or is this an EJ-swapped ride?

What clutch?

Does the e-management help that much?

just curious. cause i have trouble smokin all four in my EJ-swapped rig. might be cause of the 195/70 15's that i'm running tho.

Dave

Ok progress made finally!>?!?!

I decided to rip out all the wiring in the dash and engine/chassis harness and inspect everything, about 5 hours later I found the air flow meter harness to be the problem.

I opened up the insulation to find 2 of the wires melted together! I cut out the bad sections and repaired the harness, the car still wont start but I bet I chooked this ECU as well, so its back to u-pull it tomarrow for another ECU. It's funny because right when I was about to give up I found the problem by accident, I so wanted to sell this car today it's not even funny.

I will keep you guys posted.

airflow meter short should kill just one resistor on the board. after dishing out cash for one you cooked again, A 10ohm for 1 buck at radio shack should fire it back up.Check "R1" labeled on ecu board. The "ecu fried" targets one thing in relation to the one circuit shorting that caused it. Odds of frying everything are nearly impossible- just like a pc. Your old ecu could be repaired the same way.

i'm glad you found your problem...however, the question i have is....you smoked all four tires with an EA82 motor?

or is this an EJ-swapped ride?

What clutch?

Does the e-management help that much?

just curious. cause i have trouble smokin all four in my EJ-swapped rig. might be cause of the 195/70 15's that i'm running tho.

Dave

Here's my setup :)

Completly rebuild EA82T

NPR Chrome Piston Rings

NPR Main Bearings

SOA Rod Bearings

All Internals Blueprinted and Balanced

Gen3 Turbo Heads w/Custom Porting and 3-angle Valve Job

High RPM Dual Valve Springs and Retainers

Delta 272 grind Camshafts

280ZX Turbo Injectors

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

MSD Blaster-II Ignition

NGK-R Plugs (1-heat range colder than stock)

180F Thermostat

Dual Electric Fan Conversion

Dual Row Heavy Duty Radiator

Custom Header w/TD04 Flange to accept newer turbos

TD04-13g WRX Turbo (2005) @ 14psi

Perrin Manual Boost Controller

WRX Downpipe

WRX Top Mount Intercooler

HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve

Greddy E-Manage Ultimate Engine Managment

Custom 2.25inch Stainless Exhaust

Sachs XT6 Clutch

I dyno'd the car at my college in FWD and at 18psi of boost I put down 260whp but I was detonating pretty bad on the top end so i'm tuned for 14psi right now safe tune and at 14psi I put down 220whp.

I've maxed out the 280ZX Turbo Injectors so once I get the custom 450cc's from this company in california I will be good to go.

I'm also considering upgrading to a VF-39 Turbo which should help keep boost levels lower but power up.

I dont have a printout of the dyno sheet for you guys since there was no printer on the dyno at the college, but people who have ridden in it can testify for me lol.

Here's my setup :)

Completly rebuild EA82T

NPR Chrome Piston Rings

NPR Main Bearings

SOA Rod Bearings

All Internals Blueprinted and Balanced

Gen3 Turbo Heads w/Custom Porting and 3-angle Valve Job

High RPM Dual Valve Springs and Retainers

Delta 272 grind Camshafts

280ZX Turbo Injectors

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

MSD Blaster-II Ignition

NGK-R Plugs (1-heat range colder than stock)

180F Thermostat

Dual Electric Fan Conversion

Dual Row Heavy Duty Radiator

Custom Header w/TD04 Flange to accept newer turbos

TD04-13g WRX Turbo (2005) @ 14psi

Perrin Manual Boost Controller

WRX Downpipe

WRX Top Mount Intercooler

HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve

Greddy E-Manage Ultimate Engine Managment

Custom 2.25inch Stainless Exhaust

Sachs XT6 Clutch

I dyno'd the car at my college in FWD and at 18psi of boost I put down 260whp but I was detonating pretty bad on the top end so i'm tuned for 14psi right now safe tune and at 14psi I put down 220whp.

I've maxed out the 280ZX Turbo Injectors so once I get the custom 450cc's from this company in california I will be good to go.

I'm also considering upgrading to a VF-39 Turbo which should help keep boost levels lower but power up.

I dont have a printout of the dyno sheet for you guys since there was no printer on the dyno at the college, but people who have ridden in it can testify for me lol.

Wanna build me an engine like that? My RX just toasted the rings... yay:rolleyes:

holy ************ that thing sounds like a monster

I really wish I could figure out how to transfer the VHS Video Footage I have of it in action to my PC so I could upload it for you guys to watch, when I get the car back and running around Friday I will see if I can borrow my buddy's Digital Video Camera and make a teaser video for you guys.

Well im off to U-pull it again tomarrow, wish me luck!

ahh success!!!!!

Went to u-pull it and got another ECM and installed it, turned the key and vroom fired right up, took it on a test drive with PLENTY of LEFT turns, RUNS PERERFECT NOW!!!!

It's even stronger than before, makes me wounder how long those wires were causing issues, because all of my cruise surging is gone :rolleyes::headbang:

what kind of time does it run in the quarter mile?

I've run several high to mid 14 second 1/4miles at P.I.R. at only 10psi of boost shifting at 5500rpm due to the issue in this thread (finally makes sense)

So now that she's able to go up to 7000rpm+ I'm ready to hit the track again.

Let us know when you are going to PIR for a run, I'd go to watch with a camera.

I've run several high to mid 14 second 1/4miles at P.I.R. at only 10psi of boost shifting at 5500rpm due to the issue in this thread (finally makes sense)

So now that she's able to go up to 7000rpm+ I'm ready to hit the track again.