Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankshaft groove, rear main seal, etc.

How much of a groove is too much where the rear main seal sits on the back of an EA82's crankshaft?

When I replaced the rear main, there was a fairly noticeable groove where the seal rode, so I pushed the new one in just a bit further than the old one sat. Now it's leaking again (under a week later).

I put it in using a screwdriver/hammer to tap it into place - it may not have been perfectly even side to side. Would this be enough to make it leak?

Or is it possible that the groove on the crankshaft is deep enough that it's affecting the seal even with it being slightly deeper into the engine?

*sighs* And I won't have the new oil pan gasket until Monday, so I can't even pull the engine this weekend to do it.

-=Russ=-

[quote name=Syonyk

I put it in using a screwdriver/hammer to tap it into place - it may not have been perfectly even side to side. Would this be enough to make it leak?

Yes. Any damage at all, any distortion, it can and will leak.

-=Russ=-[/quote]

Doug

a prior post stated he used a short section of pvc/abs pipe (took old seal in and found a diameter match) as a press to push in the seal as not sure if screwdriver is the best tool for the job.

I will be doing my rear seal next couple of weeks so a timely post for me... will be looking for wear on the crank shaft too...

BPM, never heard of a speedi sleeve... sounds like the thing I may need also...

DasWaff: excellent(update to lower post), would have given you credit but hard to keep track of all them posts: Also, me being a Plumber sounds like you are descibing a, 2" Female I.P. X Female Slip clean-out adapter, with a threaded plug as the driver. I would have confirmed this size but when I went to pick up my rear seal today from local Subaru dlr. the guy handed me a rear oil plate or what ever?..oops, he marked down wrong part number.... so, hopefully at next opportunity I will try out the, DassWaff Seal tool.

Yeah, one of mine...

There is a PVC pipe fitting, with one end for gluing and the other end with female threads for a threaded plug. The end designed to glue onto other PVC pipe fits nicely on the rear main seal. If you screw the plug into the pipe you can tap the plug with a rubber mallet to drive the seal into place. I think it is a 2 1/2" PVC pipe, I took the old seal to Home Depot for sizing. I had to do the rear main twice because I used too much grease the first time and drove it too far into the seat.

takes a little patience to get it started evenly because it will try to start to go in at an angle, for the very last few taps you can use a piece of 1x4 on edge to get it flush. DW

Yeah, one of mine...

takes a little patience to get it started evenly because it will try to start to go in at an angle, for the very last few taps you can use a piece of 1x4 on edge to get it flush. DW

+1 on the flush mount seal "driver"

You may have a bad thrust bearing in your engine. If you do it will cause your rear and front main seals to leak.

How would I go about detecting this? And I assume fixing this requires a rebuild (or, more likely, excuse for an EJ22 swap)?

-=Russ=-

Yeah - thrust bearing prevents the crank from moving forward or back. Push/pull to check for play. It would help to push the clutch in while doing this test.

GD

Hey All,

Just anecdotal stuff here...I once bought a Ford pickup from a guy on the side of the road, I pulled him to safety with my Subaru. The transmission lost fluid because of a loose fitting.

Anyway, I worked on the thing, got it going and all but it would occaisionaly go into fits. The engine would run rough, spit sputter, then straighten out. This would come and go.

The guy I sold it to wanted the parts on it. He pulled the engine down and the thrust bearing was severely worn causing all the comotion. The crank would visibly move if you wedged and pushed, pulled on it. New bearings and crank took care of that.

Doug

I'll test that tomorrow. Clutch in, try to move the crankshaft forwards/backwards. If it moves much, look for a new motor. Check.

Much fun as a rebuild on this engine would be, if it needs a rebuild or such now, at 145k miles, I don't think I'll be able to reuse much.

And... if the people at the junkyard were correct, there's an EJ22 of some version with 113k miles on it sitting in a local junkyard. :D

-=Russ=-