Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FLASHER Problem - DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - that's the FPCU. The flasher relay is further up undeneath. It's near the headlight relays IIRC, but don't take my word for it. Just look for something similar that will plug into your new one.

GD

Im about to go clinically crazy if I don't find this.....anyone....i cant find it...ive never been more fruststrated in my life! :mad:

P.S.- I do appreciate all the help from you guys tho, dont get it twisted. :clap:

changing my flasher drew my first blood on my soob, and that was months after a timing belt change, brakes all around, rear bearings... the works.

It is up there. Underneath the steering column, just to the driver's side of the car from the steering column, and above it. I had to turn my hazards on, and listen AND FEEL for the tick of the relay... since they are side by side that made it easy. I remember I had to unscrew a philips head that was holding the bracket in place, and i remember i did NOT bother screwing it back in.

close your eyes, and feel your new relay. Now look up there with your hands and try to find two of those, side by side. If you think you have it, try unplugging and see if your lights still all come on. With the relay unplugged, they will NOT, so if you pull a plug and your lights no longer come on at ALL, then youve found it. get a stubby philips head and drop that thing down. As I recall, i had to unplug a few components just to get wires out of the way.

This flasher is the ONE THING that Fuji Heavy Industries decided to screw us on. EVERYTHING else is easy, but this is a PITA to replace. Good luck.

EDIT

I *thought* this had come up recently.. heheh.

Seriously, though, it is up there. try unplugging things one at a time, and trying your signals. If you unplug and they still light up, that was the wrong one. Plug back in, try again. there are only so many relays down there.

By the way, the only way i have EVER been able to do ANY work under a dash is to move the seat ALL the way back, recline fully, and climb in headfirst. This is not fun, but its what has to be done. I did it in a day, but it took me all day, several "cooling off" breaks, and copious amounts of attitude adjustment. Good luck, again.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40203&highlight=flasher

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11307&highlight=flasher

i dont know if youve read those threads, but they seemed like they might help you a little?? i feel bad that i cant recall how to describe it more, because the more i think about it the more i recall getting more frustrated than I have ever been at a car when trying this myself. and believe me, i can get frustrated....

don't forget that even in broad daylight, you WILL need a good bright (but small) light up there, and a stubby philips head screwdriver. I can be repetitive, but i can be repetitive also.

I appreciate all the help, I really do. I am going to give this go today with a friend of mine...if we can't find it, Im giving up. This may be a stupid question, but sinec all 4 signals light up, they simply dont flash, is it possible that the WHOLE flasher relay is gone? Missing?

I appreciate all the help, I really do. I am going to give this go today with a friend of mine...if we can't find it, Im giving up. This may be a stupid question, but sinec all 4 signals light up, they simply dont flash, is it possible that the WHOLE flasher relay is gone? Missing?

As i have said before, if the flasher is no there, they lights won't come on.

Have you checked all four bulbs, physically removed them and inspected them to make sure they are all good?

nipper

I am having a problem with my muffler bearings.They started going out after I replaced the regular blinker fluid with synthetic halogen blinker fluid.How do I replace them?

BTW my cross-drilled brake lines work fantastic!

Say What?

:eek:

According to the AutoZone website:

Component Locations - Flasher grey_line.gif

On your 1991 Subaru Loyale, the Component Locations - Flasher is:

Front seating area, driver side, under dash, above

brake pedal, mounted in steering column support

bracket

As I Said... (Check Post Nº 2 on this Thread...) That´s the Place.

Good Luck! :)

Heh. I already know the hand signals. However, I am 16. Waiting to take my drivers test to actually get my license, right now I only have my permit. I cant take the test without working flashers. I would also take it in my moms Subaru 2002 Imprezza, however the shifting is quite different, im very comfortable driving my car, and would prefer to drive my car. :)

In case you are still looking I checked my FSM for a '88 again. It shows the flasher to be next to a set of 4 relays. The area should be near the steering column as GD stated. It may be near the center of the dash also. Look for the four relays and the flasher should be above them if your model is like mine.