Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've seen this problem with two other legacys. Mine, an EJ22 swap, and Konrad's, a stock legacy. Both idle fine, adjust for load, obviously the Idle air is working, but the ECU throws a code occasionally. I'd try cleaning the MAF sensor, mabe the computer is looking for a change in the MAF reading in response to changes it makes in the IAC?

Thanks for the empathy. I'll update if the ECU works. If my MAF is the same as my buddy's I might just try swapping his in.

-TG

I've seen this problem with two other legacys. Mine, an EJ22 swap, and Konrad's, a stock legacy. Both idle fine, adjust for load, obviously the Idle air is working, but the ECU throws a code occasionally. I'd try cleaning the MAF sensor, mabe the computer is looking for a change in the MAF reading in response to changes it makes in the IAC?

So....

a new used ECU produced no change....same CEL under same conditions....and couldn't scan that computer with my laptop either.

a new dealer-supplied ignition relay produced no change.

Started looking into my Ignition relay / Select Monitoring circuit and noticed that the installer may have mixed up the yellow-red wires to the ignition relay. The circuit that has the O2 sensor and the Super Junction Plug and Select Monitor goes to the relay pin below the black wire on the relay.

Brent Weide's wiring diagram (http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/ - go to engine 1 then click on: Subaru Engine Conversion Information - RESOURCE MENU - July 2006 folder then click on: Remaining Wiring then select GOODWiringHarnessSchematic.pdf) shows it going to the pin below the green wire on the ignition relay. And vice -versa the ECU pinouts from A2 and A13 go to the ignition relay pin below the green wire when Weide shows them going to the pin below the black wire.

So it almost seems like these circuits are reversed on the ignition relay.

Does this further suggest what Cougar was thinking when he said:

"It sounds like the lead that runs between the valve and the injector common lead may have something to do with this. I am guessing that it is a return lead for the valve circuit somehow."

Might explain why I can't scan?? and more?

getting really low on ideas...should I cut wires and see what happens?

thanks,

Tom

Thanks for the empathy. I'll update if the ECU works. If my MAF is the same as my buddy's I might just try swapping his in.

-TG

I would try hooking up the wires as you think they should be and see what happens. The black wire is a ground lead and the bottom wires on the relay are hot. I am a little confused about this relay and what it supposed to do. I kind of think it is not drawn right but I can't say for sure. What gets me is you can't have a ground wire switching to a hot wire. The ground lead may be for one side of the coil though.

Thanks Cougar. I'll give it a try and see what happens. The one picture I have of that relay suggests both circuits are energized and it won't make any difference but hardly my forte!

Will try my buddy's MAF this week too.

Tempted by his TPS, too. But not sure how involved that is and I'd hate to screw up his adjustment!

tyring to keep a stiff upper lip,

TG

Swapped the wires last night.

No change.

Emailed with the installer and he said it wouldn't make a difference - he's right.

I have $150 credit with the junkyard for the ECU...suggestions on parts to try?

MAF? TPS?

Could this be plugs and wires?

thanks,

TG

Thanks Cougar. I'll give it a try and see what happens. The one picture I have of that relay suggests both circuits are energized and it won't make any difference but hardly my forte!

Will try my buddy's MAF this week too.

Tempted by his TPS, too. But not sure how involved that is and I'd hate to screw up his adjustment!

tyring to keep a stiff upper lip,

TG

Personally,

I think it's time to regroup, look at everything you've done, any change that may occur, etc.

Right now, you're just throwing parts at it, and that's not the way to about things IMO.

Try posting a summary of the problem again, and of all the stuff that you've done, and maybe having all the info in one post may shed some light on things that was overlooked.

Alas i think it is time to steer him in another direction

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/?yguid=281753844

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruVanagon2/?yguid=281753844

One is for the same conversion asyou, the other is where they have thier files.

Since this is a conversion of german and japanese technology, we might not be abale to debug it. These people may have seen it before.

nipper

Thanks Nipper.

The guy who did my conversion is a charter member of the subievanagon yahoo group. I tried over there for a while. I learned a lot about my van and its new engine via this thread....just didn't fix it.

Nobody seems to have seen anything like it...here or at subie-gon

Legacy777 - I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately I don't know what the heck else to do than throw cheap parts at it. I may summarize and repost to a new thread as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help,

Tom

Alas i think it is time to steer him in another direction

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/?yguid=281753844

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruVanagon2/?yguid=281753844

One is for the same conversion asyou, the other is where they have thier files.

Since this is a conversion of german and japanese technology, we might not be abale to debug it. These people may have seen it before.

nipper

Thanks Nipper.

The guy who did my conversion is a charter member of the subievanagon yahoo group. I tried over there for a while. I learned a lot about my van and its new engine via this thread....just didn't fix it.

Nobody seems to have seen anything like it...here or at subie-gon

Legacy777 - I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately I don't know what the heck else to do than throw cheap parts at it. I may summarize and repost to a new thread as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help,

Tom

Well time to go back to square one and inspect the wiring harnesses and connnections.

nipper

• 16 years later...

Hey gentlemen,  I'm new to the forum so thank you for any help you can send my way.  I have an "84 Vanagon with automatic and a 1993 Sub Legacy 2.2 installed.  I did the install myself but purchased a premade harness..  I have the exact same problem going on as described by synchrosubie.  I could use the knowledge that he has experienced, and I'd like to know what his outcome was.  If he got this glitch repaired?  I know this thread hasnt been used in quite awhile.  Is it possible to contact him?  Or could Legacy777 help me out. Thanks a million.

Scott

This is an interesting issue and very frustrating that the thread was never updated with an end result. 

I’ve cut down three looms now. Two EJ22E looms and one EJ205 turbo loom with immobiliser. All looms work as they should. 

What I find interesting is that the wiring connectivity checks out and the OP begins questioning the wiring loom cut down. Yet when cutting down a loom you’re not cutting engine to ECU wires, just the ones from everything else you don’t need. 

No one confirms if their ECU with these issues have the earthed wire to tell the ECU it’s manual or no wire to tell the ECU it’s an auto. I’ve heard this doesn’t matter, who knows. 

The next question is if they’ve got a neutral switch hooked up, or what was done with that wiring. 

Without looking into this further these are my initial thoughts. 

Cheers 

Bennie