Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch, Pull The Motor or Drop the Trany?

KMR

Well, after my USMB guided success with CV joint replacement it is time to attack the clutch.

I have read as many threads as I could find about the job and it seems that most opt to pull the motor out. Is this simply because it is a better approach, or would the use of a lift make dropping the trany easier?

I have a 2 post lift, which method do you guys think would be easier?

Thanks for all the great info,

Kevin R.

Pull the engine, I've done it both ways and still stick with pulling the motor.

Easier work, more stuff to disconnect...but also gives you a good reason to reseal up the motor why you have it out (Cam Covers, Cam Seals, Crank Seal, Rear Main, Timing belts, etc...)

....good reason to reseal up the motor why you have it out (Cam Covers, Cam Seals, Crank Seal, Rear Main, Timing belts, etc...)

Ooooohhhhh, good point. crap I should really do those things, especially the rear main.

Should I get that from the dealer? I always have had bad luck with aftermarket gaskets on other vehicles.

Wow, I really like the "similar threads" tool at the bottom of the page, there are a few in there that search did not turn up.

So anyway, I really appreciate your willingness to rehash this topic.

Since the availability of a lift comes into play my situation is a bit different than those covered in most of the other threads and I appreciate your opinions.

I know I will need to do the rear main (actively leaking) but that can easily be done with the motor in place

I suppose the timing belt should probably be done (doubt it has ever been done) and I imagine that could be quite a pain with the engine in the car.

Yes I have to change my mind (didn't read the part about the lift :-\ )...just pull the tranny..all those seals and timing belt, etc can be done with the engine in the car without too much trouble.

Timing belt as well??

I did mine on my lifted wagon by pulling the trans. I think in general, if you've got a lift, pull the trans. if you've got an engine hoist (but no lift), pull the motor. if you've got neither, get some ratchet straps, and a buddy, and drop the trans.

if you do pull the trans. when you're putting it back in, disconnect the pitch stopper, and the lift up the front of the motor (a jack and a block of wood on the oil pan work well) to make re-installation a bit easier. I found that putting the trans in with 2 guys (me and my dad), and a couple ratchet straps was easier than when I dropped the motor into it a year later. I had a hell of a time getting things to line up when I was dropping in the motor, and then when it finally did go, I darn near lost a finger between the block and the trans bellhousing!

Hardest part of doing the clutch on my loyale was separating the engine and tranny. I pulled the motor and used a jack under the tranny to line things back up when I dropped the motor back in. Bonus to pulling motor is cleaning the engine bay and might as well give the engine a scrub while its out. The easier way for you sounds like the tranny though.

I know I will need to do the rear main (actively leaking)
be careful with the rear main seal. there are a number of cases where freshly installed rear main seals have leaked. Mr. Radon at xt6.net after rebuilding his ER27 (same rear main as the EA82) and also steve's EA82T i think it was, and others. these were both this year. I'm not sure why that happens, but be very careful as it would suck to have to drop trans/pull engine just for a $7 seal.
I suppose the timing belt should probably be done (doubt it has ever been done) and I imagine that could be quite a pain with the engine in the car.

timing belts are way too easy to even bother figuring in the equation. EA82 timing belts can be done in 30 minutes. usually takes longer, but just for refernce they aren't hard at all to do in the car.

here's where the confusion comes in on the trans/engine removal. the transmission can definitely come out quicker than the engine. so from that perspective the job *could* be quicker by removing the trans. but handling a trans from under the engine is more awkward than an engine with an engine lift. if you're set up well with a lift and have good equipment to manuever the trans with on reinstallation or a couple people then that can be quicker. you'll have to look at what resources you have and figure out which is better for you.

Every other clutch that I have done has been straight forward, pull the trany, just makes sense.

I was just worried that I was missing something since everyone seemed to favor pulling the engine.

I think I will go with the trany, pull it right out, make sure the new rear main is in perfectly (OEM part? or auto store part?) and lift the trany back in to place.

What is the weight of an impreza transmission?

I was planning on putting a normal transmission jack on a sturdy rolling cart and basically lifting the car off of the transmission.

Thanks,

Kevin R.

I just realized you have an impreza. that doesn't change much of anything with the clutch job. in fact, makes for a little better argument for pulling the trans, since the engine's a little more complicated to remove in an EJ car.

but you're in the wrong section, imprezas would fall under the new gen. we were all thinking you had an EA81 or EA82 subaru...

...but you're in the wrong section, imprezas would fall under the new gen. we were all thinking you had an EA81 or EA82 subaru...

Sorry for the mistake, you guys have been more than helpful and all the information I have needed has been fairly generic so far (cv joint changing, where to get parts and the like) So I don't think I have gotten any misinformation

Before we switched from ".net" to ".org" I seem to remember a definition of "older generation" as being pre late 90s. So I stuck with it.

Should I ask the Mods to move this thread to the other forum?

Oh crap, I just checked and somewhere in there I got mixed up as to what forum I was supposed to be in.

Sorry again, I am on another automotive forum where I am much more knowledgeable and I can never understand how people can make silly mistakes like the one I just made.