Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Don't know if anyone has brought this up before but the oil filter location on the 06 OBW is a royal pain. You can't grab the sides of it...you must use a socket type oil filter wrench on an extension with a ratchet. And I don't have the size needed for this tiny filter (yet) so I used some channel lock pliers and was just able to break free the filter. The filter is nestled in between two exhaust runs which are covered in heat shield. If you stick your hand up there to grab the filter then you will burn your hands. I wear nitrile gloves when changing oil but I may have to switch to my welding gloves to avoid the big burn. Also, the newer oil filter is about 50% smaller than the filter on my 99 OBW. Means less filter media and less oil capacity in the filter.

I just had to vent. Thanks for listening.

Don't know if anyone has brought this up before but the oil filter location on the 06 OBW is a royal pain. You can't grab the sides of it...you must use a socket type oil filter wrench on an extension with a ratchet. And I don't have the size needed for this tiny filter (yet) so I used some channel lock pliers and was just able to break free the filter. The filter is nestled in between two exhaust runs which are covered in heat shield. If you stick your hand up there to grab the filter then you will burn your hands. I wear nitrile gloves when changing oil but I may have to switch to my welding gloves to avoid the big burn. Also, the newer oil filter is about 50% smaller than the filter on my 99 OBW. Means less filter media and less oil capacity in the filter.

Doesnt necassarily mean less filter media, but it DOES mean less oil in the engine. Looks can be deceiving in oil filters. I think subaru changed across the board to the smaller filters, but not sure.

nipper

Doesnt necassarily mean less filter media, but it DOES mean less oil in the engine. Looks can be deceiving in oil filters. I think subaru changed across the board to the smaller filters, but not sure.

nipper

You are right but I would bet there is less media area in square inches than in the bigger filter. But we would need to take apart both filters and lay the media out and measure. But that sounds like a lot of work. So, I'll just say in my opinion there is less media in the newer, smaller filters!

You are right but I would bet there is less media area in square inches than in the bigger filter. But we would need to take apart both filters and lay the media out and measure. But that sounds like a lot of work. So, I'll just say in my opinion there is less media in the newer, smaller filters!

doesnt work that way, take it from an engineer. But it does reinforce that no matter the oil type you need regular filter changes.

nipper

Here's the spec on the original filter the EJ's used up til 2003 or so:

space.gif

Threads:M20x1.5

Type of Filter:Spin-on

Anti-Drain Back Valve:No

space.gifspace.gif

Height:2.95

Relief Valve P.S.I.:20-25

O.D.:3.15

space.gif

Now heres the apec on the new smaller filter:

Threads:M20x1.5

Type of Filter:Spin-on

Anti-Drain Back Valve:Yes

space.gifspace.gif

Height:2.93

Relief Valve P.S.I.:14-18

O.D.:2.69

space.gif

Their specs USED to include filter area, and the newer smaller filter had MORE filter area in that smaller can. Don't ask me how, but it does.

The location of the oil filter hasn't moved. The oil filter location is the exact same as your 99. What is different is the exhaust layout. You've got a turbo engine now. All the Turbo engines have the same "issue" with the filter being nestled between the oil pan and the exhaust. I agree 100% about the size thing. They aparently went to the even smaller size to keep it further away from the exhaust because the exhaust was heating up the oil.

<snip> Their specs USED to include filter area, and the newer smaller filter had MORE filter area in that smaller can. Don't ask me how, but it does.

It's not all about size... :brow:

One filter may use thinner media, more pleats, etc. I've cut open quite a few over the years and have seen a lot of differences.

Unless they provide specs about single pass and multi-pass efficiencies and at what micron level those efficiencies are, there is no way to tell if one is better than the other. Pressure drop comes into it as well. Dirt holding capacity, etc.

I've been using a filter with a microglass media for years. Traps much smaller particles, but does not have a high pressure drop (usually the trade off), good level of dirt holding capacity, etc. In case anyone asks, it's an AC Delco product that is no longer made to my knowledge.

Commuter

I also have a 06 mine is the NA 2.5 engine .

I changed the oil the other day and it was a PIA.

I was not able to use my old strap wrench I have to buy the socket type wrench . It should not be to difficult next time .This was the 1st change so the filter was put on at the factory.

Mike k

All EJ 4cyl engines now use the same filter, the smaller one, 15208AA100.

RallyKeith, it doesn't matter whether his 06 OB is turbo or not.

All new EJ253's have the "equal-length" header setup, which wraps around the front of the engine, similar to the turbo headers... instead of Y-ing off behind the engine like the old nonturbo exhausts did.

So yeah, it will be a little bit tight. But I never try to take a filter off without a cup wrench. I have the AmPro one at home that fits the factory filter, I'll try to remember to get the number off of it when I get home.

Not having seen one of the newer cars like this, I can't say for sure if this would work better, but I've always had tremendous luck with oil filter pliers like these:

158845_lg.gif

Sure, they usually tear the crap out of the oil filter, but it's garbage anyway so that doesn't matter.

Must have been the influence GM had on Subaru.:-\

GM full size trucks went to smaller filters on their engines.

The oil pan design surrounds 270 degrees of the circumference of the filter AND the filter is recessed AND is now shorter. This makes most oil filter wrenches completely ineffective. :mad:

My favorite engines to change filters on are the 1700cc Type 4 VW aircooled engine and the Subaru EJ22 engines (assuming no splash guard is in the way). Super easy to reach without jacking up car, burning hands and without making a huge mess.:clap:

All new EJ253's have the "equal-length" header setup, which wraps around the front of the engine, similar to the turbo headers... instead of Y-ing off behind the engine like the old nonturbo exhausts did.

Did not know that! Sucks for us. For all my NA cars I change the oil by hand. Sometimes I need a wrench to get the filters off, but I've got enough fore arm strength to tighen the oil filters enough that I've never had a leak or had one come loose.

ok here is another question while we are talking specs: Oil filter interchangability...

i have 2 99 2.2's i change the oil on and one 06 baja N/A. I stock filters to do such vehicles so i have 2 different kinds...can i pick one and only stock one style to do all 3 cars? I also have my 83 which takes another type (but matches up perfectly seal wise and thread wise) so I guess I have 3 types here at home.

Michael? anyone else want to make a guess or render a decision?

ok here is another question while we are talking specs: Oil filter interchangability...

i have 2 99 2.2's i change the oil on and one 06 baja N/A. I stock filters to do such vehicles so i have 2 different kinds...can i pick one and only stock one style to do all 3 cars? I also have my 83 which takes another type (but matches up perfectly seal wise and thread wise) so I guess I have 3 types here at home.

Michael? anyone else want to make a guess or render a decision?

The 2 99's and the 06 can defenitly use the same filter, if you are using the new smaller filter. Last time I went to the dealership for oil filters for my 95 2.2 and 96 2.5 they sold me the new small filter and said it's for all those engines now. As for the 83, I don't know. Sure seems like it might work.

Keith