so we are thinking of buying another Sube

1999 Forester L

57,000 miles

Dark Green

2nd owner car

Automatic

Condition: outside-excellent inside-immaculate

There are 2 issues with this car that are of any concern to me they are

At 19,800 miles or so the odometer acted up and would stick, a Sube dealer did the repair and he has the paperwork from the dealer, Glanzmann of PA for you locals. The car's currently at 37,250 miles or so.

It was involved in a minor collision in which the owner was hit in the passenger corner, after checking the gaps between the body panels the rear passenger door sticks out maybe 1/16-1/32 from the body panel, if I had not done my research here I would have never found saw that.

The engine is very clean all the fluids are clean.

The asking price for the vehicle is $8000.00, opinions please, thanks Jay.

1999 Forester L

57,000 miles

Dark Green

2nd owner car

Automatic

Condition: outside-excellent inside-immaculate

There are 2 issues with this car that are of any concern to me they are

At 19,800 miles or so the odometer acted up and would stick, a Sube dealer did the repair and he has the paperwork from the dealer, Glanzmann of PA for you locals. The car's currently at 37,250 miles or so.

It was involved in a minor collision in which the owner was hit in the passenger corner, after checking the gaps between the body panels the rear passenger door sticks out maybe 1/16-1/32 from the body panel, if I had not done my research here I would have never found saw that.

The engine is very clean all the fluids are clean.

The asking price for the vehicle is $8000.00, opinions please, thanks Jay.

With this asking price I would see if you could have your mechanic inspect it.

Just my 2 cents

the odometer thing shouldn't be an issue. once and done, you'll probably never see issues with it again. i would do everything you can to make sure it doesn't have a head gasket leak.

did the accident show up on a carfax report or just by doing a visual? make sure it wasn't a major accident and the repair was done properly. probably need a mechanic to do this unless you can verify it was not a major accident. you want to make sure the structure isn't weakened (not a crap shot of a repair) and you may want to know for certain that the air bag system is up and running after the first accident. some of the air bag components are must replace items.

It was involved in a minor collision in which the owner was hit in the passenger corner, after checking the gaps between the body panels the rear passenger door sticks out maybe 1/16-1/32 from the body panel,

The car I currently own appears to have been in a similar accident before I owned it. Everything is fine with it and i have 132,000 trouble free miles on it. The only problem is that there is a fair amount of wind noise at high speeds because I can't for the life of me get the glass to hit the gasket just right. So I would make sure to test drive it on the highway and make sure there is no bothersome noise before you buy.

After the first few posts I was thinking along the lines of not purchasing the car, it is in line with KBB but I NEVER use that I always use edmunds and it is a good bit over the private party value. I saw a 94 legacy with 114k for $2k on CL, unsure what to do any help is much appreciated, thanks. Jay.

P.S. I relalize they are drastically different vehicles, right now I would prefer to not have the debt but need a VERY reliable car, thanks.

114K and '94 spells unreliable to me. At that point in PA you worry about things rusting, like the fuel tank (my old '96 Legacy), etc. I'd go for the 57K (a nice low number) and definitely get your mechanic to look it over before buying. Ask them what else has been done to it (belts?).

After the first few posts I was thinking along the lines of not purchasing the car, it is in line with KBB but I NEVER use that I always use edmunds and it is a good bit over the private party value. I saw a 94 legacy with 114k for $2k on CL, unsure what to do any help is much appreciated, thanks. Jay.

P.S. I relalize they are drastically different vehicles, right now I would prefer to not have the debt but need a VERY reliable car, thanks.

I would go for the 94, 114 on a 2.2 is nothing. This car will go forever. With a phase I 2.5 you never now when the HG might go and this is a $1500 repair.