Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any other companies make deep discharge type

batteries?

Oh absolutely; that's what's often used in boats and RV's. You just have to make sure it has the capability to run the engine starter as well. Deep cycle batteries generally don't have as much instantaneous current available as starter batteries.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have fit the Optima Yellow top in Subarus, but it is slightly larger than the proper "group" size as I recall. The other issue is that the posts are roughly centered on the battery, causing you to have to stretch the positive cable a bit. You may be ok, you may need a longer cable. I don't know for sure with the Forester. It will depend upon the cable routing.

Exide also makes the spiral cell sealed batteries like Optima. I think it gets sold under a few names. Just make sure that the battery is also classed as a "starting" battery as well as deep cycle. I put in one (forget the brand now) that they told me was ok, but after 2 years, I had problems. Then they tell me it was not really the right application. The battery wasn't getting cycled enough! :confused:

nipper brought up the 'priority start' device. I have one on the ex's 99 Honda Odyssey. The interior lights do not shut off if manually turned on! The ex and kids killed the battery several times. :dead: Of course, I don't think it has ever been triggered since I installed it a several years ago. :lol: These vans are hard on the battery. The alarm and "aways on" stuff creates quite a drain.

Good luck. This is a long thread. Personally, I'd hate to leave the vehicle sit without the alarm turned on. I like the idea of finding someone that will simply start it and run it for a while every week or 2. There must be someone who is willing to do a simple, good deed.

Commuter

hi i have the same problem with my truck. wierd thing is i install alarms often. i know it is draining it but really with out tracking down the small link. its easier to add an alarm battery which is a 12v battery but can be tucked anywhere. it will still go dead, but it will start. oh and the batterys are pretty cheap about $30. the cold is realy draining the amps out of my optima this year, so i disconnected it. "i didnt install this alarm. it came with the truck.:burnout:

People have fit the Optima Yellow top in Subarus, but it is slightly larger than the proper "group" size as I recall. The other issue is that the posts are roughly centered on the battery, causing you to have to stretch the positive cable a bit. You may be ok, you may need a longer cable. I don't know for sure with the Forester. It will depend upon the cable routing.

Exide also makes the spiral cell sealed batteries like Optima. I think it gets sold under a few names. Just make sure that the battery is also classed as a "starting" battery as well as deep cycle. I put in one (forget the brand now) that they told me was ok, but after 2 years, I had problems. Then they tell me it was not really the right application. The battery wasn't getting cycled enough! :confused:

nipper brought up the 'priority start' device. I have one on the ex's 99 Honda Odyssey. The interior lights do not shut off if manually turned on! The ex and kids killed the battery several times. :dead: Of course, I don't think it has ever been triggered since I installed it a several years ago. :lol: These vans are hard on the battery. The alarm and "aways on" stuff creates quite a drain.

Good luck. This is a long thread. Personally, I'd hate to leave the vehicle sit without the alarm turned on. I like the idea of finding someone that will simply start it and run it for a while every week or 2. There must be someone who is willing to do a simple, good deed.

Commuter

Maybe a local Boy Scout Troop could do this? Or work out a deal with Meals on Wheels?

I dunno

Carl

Commuter

EUREKA!

I figured it out, it is so simple.

Do you have a good relationship with a neighbor or the car that parks next to you? The beuty of a remote starter is that you dont need the key to start the car, but also the car shuts itself off in 15 minutes.

What you can do is get a remote starter, and ask the neighbor when they go to work to start your car with the remote. !% minutes a day worsk out to 5 hrs of running time a month, which should be 1/4 tank of gas. You will need to get oil changes at every 3 months or so, but this way your battery stays charged, your neighbor can feel good for helping you out, and all it takes is thier holding a button for a few seconds a few times a week.

nipper

EUREKA!

I figured it out, it is so simple.

Do you have a good relationship with a neighbor or the car that parks next to you? The beuty of a remote starter is that you dont need the key to start the car, but also the car shuts itself off in 15 minutes.

What you can do is get a remote starter, and ask the neighbor when they go to work to start your car with the remote. !% minutes a day worsk out to 5 hrs of running time a month, which should be 1/4 tank of gas. You will need to get oil changes at every 3 months or so, but this way your battery stays charged, your neighbor can feel good for helping you out, and all it takes is thier holding a button for a few seconds a few times a week.

nipper

pure crystalline genius

Carl

OK, got the Forester jumpstarted tonight, went to PepBoys, had a

Bosch heavy duty battery installed, (gave up on Optima). Arranged

for someone who's going to start it once a week with the remote

starter...problem solved (hope). Btw, alternator tested fine, gonna

work on getting the cig. lighter live-wired w/engine off and a solar

trickle charger.

Thanks to everyone!

Kevin