Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The last exhaust you ever need

I took a ride to PipeSmith today.

http://www.pipeSmith.us/

They can custom build an all 304 stainless exhaust for my EA82 wagon. 304 is the type that does not rust. Ever. From the engine to the tail pipe. Put a "standard" 3 way cat - sepearate from the Y pipe, so only the cat needs to be replaced when it goes bad eventually. Keep the muffler flage in the standard place.

First system $1000.00. Second copy $650.00. Do I get 1 or 2? Barring any catastrophe, I could be driving my "new" wagon for 10 more years. I am still debating about my 2nd EA82 - It will need body work - or I need a non rusty one from out west.

IMO, for $1650, you could completely replace your exhaust system with regular pipe on BOTH your subies several times over in the next 10 years. Personally, unless I was building a show car, or a weekend racer, I'd just do it on the cheap....but thats just me.

There are cheaper ways to go about it, than stainless. Personally ,

unless the pipes are visible like a side mounted old cobra or tractor trailer, why bother with stainless.. there is glavanized of several versions out there cheaply. A favorite place of mine local claims to have aluminized pipe that goes for a decade or so in bad places open to evironment. That is what I have been using. the only odd note with that stuff is , is that it shrinks to slightly less than when installed, but definatley tough.:) I do not bother with pipe guards anymore after the engine, at 2 inch the flow is good enough warm or cold for the ea82.

when I was shopping for a exhaust, aluminized piping and actually everything NOT rvs was not recommended,

the pipe it self will not rust as easy as normal steel, but the welds are open and not galvanised/aluminized or anything, so they will rust as normal steel.

I have 2,5 inch from the turbo back and 2 mufflers (centre and end) for 650 euro's.