Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I was surfing EBAY looking at subaru stuff when I came across the attached picture. The picture is actually of 2007 Legacy Sedan that was hit hard in the rear and is being sold as salvage. But when you look at just this side shot, it looks like a perfect design for a 4 door legacy Hatchback. I would buy one if they actually made it.

Anyone else?

post-960-136027619445_thumb.jpg

So, I was surfing EBAY looking at subaru stuff when I came across the attached picture. The picture is actually of 2007 Legacy Sedan that was hit hard in the rear and is being sold as salvage. But when you look at just this side shot, it looks like a perfect design for a 4 door legacy Hatchback. I would buy one if they actually made it.

Anyone else?

4 Door sedan hatchbacks aren't very popular in America. VW has learned that lesson over time selling tons of 2 and 4 door Golfs and a few Jettas in Europe and selling tons of Jettas and not as many Golfs here. This year, VW changed the name of the Golf back to Rabbit, hoping to increase sales.

Subaru already sells a 4 door Legacy hatchback, they call it the Wagon. Pull your sunshade and it, sort of, transforms the wagon into a sedan with a shell on top of the trunk, as long as your glass isn't tinted.

Take the shell, trunk lid or cargo cover off, and you have the poorly selling Baja.

Because, in my opinion, the Legacy is in the same class as the Camry and Accord, with better traction and handling, I think Subaru should entertain the idea of a Legacy Coupe, to compete with the 2 door Toyota Camry, called Solara and the Accord Coupe, for the US market. Since the production of the Baja is slated to end, they should produce the Legacy Coupe instead up in Lafayette, Indiana, and make it limited production to see how the market responds. Both the Accord and Camry/Solara come with V-6. Wouldn't a Legacy Coupe with the H-6 be fun? Subaru currently doesn't have a 2 door vehicle since they cancelled the Imprezza coupe.

Since the Legacy is starting to look upscale inside, I think a 2 door will further that image. Yet they can still build a H-4 as does Accord and Solara with their I-4's.

Some place in the last 15 years, the word hatchback and tiny car have become interchangable to americans. Honda for years fought internally to bring back a civic hatchback because of this. SAAB is the only one that got away with a hatchback, because it was a three door (this is where the three door and 5 door bit started). Hatchbacks also have higher insurance rates.

To me the impala wagon is a 4 door hatchback. Same with the imprezza. Hatchbacks are very popular in europe. There have been studies on this, and attempts to hide a hatchback in some other ways. The term station wagon is also on that edge, hence now its a wagon, or the euro version, an estate (audi calls theirs the Avant). the term wagon is still holding on, but i think thats because of who offers wagons (Subaru Mercedes BMW Volvo)

http://www.stationwagon.com/2001_models/2001_models.html

(its an old page but notice how many wagons are upper end)

Wagons are associated with upper range manufacturers, even thought there are fords and daewoos around (but how many of those have you seen)

Personally i would love a legacy hatchback. Not all of us have kids or inlaws that need 4 doors :)

nipper

To me the impala wagon is a 4 door hatchback. Same with the imprezza.

I agree with you 100% on that statement. The Legacy wagon is a real Wagon. The rear of the car is almost flat. That to me defines a wagon. The Impreza has such a slant to it that you can't fint anything tall in that extends past the hinge point of the hatch. That leaves a large amount of unusable space in that regaurd.

Keith

Impala wagon? When did they build that?

The actual definition of a wagon over a 4 door hatchback is the third window. Look at a Golf 4 door and the rear most side window is the back door window. It's a 4 door hatchback. The Imprezza wagon has a extra side window in the cargo area thus it's a wagon.

Going back to something said earlier, I'd buy a 2 door subaru in a heartbeat.

Espaically an H6 with manual transmission two door Legacy. Coupes are great sellers because they're always associated with speed. I wonder how hard it would be for Subaru to make a 2 door these days, since they only have 2? engines and 2? chassis.

Anyone else?

Hey, they make that!

2006.hyundai.elantra.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=4474&d=1165682302

Seriously though, as proved by the Elantra hatch, a four door hatch is useless, just buy a wagon...... they'd never sell if the wagon was still offered.