Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing the Tbelt - can I start it w/out the aux belts?

I just got done installing the Tbelt and pulleys on my 92 Legacy 2.2L.

I was wondering if its ok to start the car , for a VERY short time , before I install the auxiliary belts?

I removed the radiator to do the job so I wont have the car on but for maybe 30 sec.

I just want to make sure I have everything lined up right and that it runs correctly.

it's not a consensus item, it is okay (with assumptions like...you did'nt leave the socket hanging from the crank!??!!).

just know what you are doing. engines need to be cooled, without any cooling on it, the engine will heat up indefinitely until failure. at 30 seconds running time you're not reaching an internal heating threshold that's not seen under normal circumstances. i don't know that anyone can tell you that....at 4 minutes 32.5465 seconds you'll reach the threshold at which internal cylinder wall or temperature differentials begin to deviate from norm.

i dont know what really crappy comes from either. They pur like little kittens. The water pump, oil pump and cams are all thats needed to run the engine for a very short duration.

If it runs crappy, it means the timing is off.

nipper

Seconding this. As long as your battery is strong, it'll probably run smoother without the A/C and P/S dragging on it!

put car in gear, brakes on, block tires for manual trans.

on an auto remove rubber plug in the bell housing and stick a socket extension in the bellhousing flexplate, there should be some gaps/holes in the flexplate to wedge a socket extension or a heavy duty screwdrive into. then crank the nuts out of the crank bolt with a 1/2" socket wrench and a long pipe or breaker bar. cast iron bolt, cast iron crank shaft - tighten that joker good.