Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As far as replacement windshields go, are there differences in quality? In other words, do all replacement windshields meet the same standards as far as safety goes?

I have some nasty scratches, deep enough to catch a fingernail in, on my Forester's windshield. Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a rough idea of what the replacement should cost installed?

And finally, are dealers an option for windshields? At least that way I would know the replacement was the same as the one the car came with.

Thanks,

belizeanbus

As far as replacement windshields go, are there differences in quality? In other words, do all replacement windshields meet the same standards as far as safety goes?

I have some nasty scratches, deep enough to catch a fingernail in, on my Forester's windshield. Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a rough idea of what the replacement should cost installed?

And finally, are dealers an option for windshields? At least that way I would know the replacement was the same as the one the car came with.

Thanks,

belizeanbus

I have always used a reptuyable glass place in the yellow pages. I am 99% sure windsheilds only come from one place for any given car. I have never had a problem with a replacment windsheild. I am guessing around 200.00 or less installed.

Dealer would send you to a body shop, who has a drive up service do it. If not they will call the driveup service themselves.

nipper

Years ago I had problems with a cheap replacement windshield. It had ripples -- undetectable on casual inspection, especially from outside the car. But from the driver's seat, it caused distortion that was very headache-y, every time I drove the car from then on. Got used to it, to where I didn't really think about a whole lot, but it was chronically annoying.

That was the only time I've replaced a windshield, and I was broke, didn't have w/s coverage on my insurance, and got the cheapest one I could find.

So, I have no idea if all windshields for a given model are in fact made by the same mftr., but I would say: I doubt it.

Shop around for the best $$$, or get the proper ins. coverage (if they will do it without inspecting your current one), a while before changing it out, if possible. Then you can ask the right questions, and get the proper replacement.

I think the quality is similar across the board. But I have this icky feeling that there is variation not only in ripples or distortion but also in the glass composition.

My second windshield appears to get chips easier than the old one. Might be my imagination.....you know, when you become hypersensitive to windshield damage, EVERY little bit of damage to the new glass will drive you even more insane.:-\

My $235 replacement was done in the parking lot right outside my window at work. Pretty convenient. Just make sure you take it on the highway later to verify seals and trim do not whistle (anymore than normally do) - you'd want them to check that out.

I've had 3 windshields in the last 5 years or so replaced by Safelite, last one was a couple weeks ago on my Impreza. Called at 8am on a Tuse. and it was replaced by 3 in the afternoon for $250 plus I finaly have 6 in. blue tint on the top that Subaru doesn't do for some reason. Anyway, I've heard bad stories about these guys, but they do a lot of windows and I've had a few decent enough experiences with them.

Thanks,

belizeanbus

I just had mine ('99 Forester) replaced a few months ago at a respected auto glass shop- $293.00. Sad thing is, this is the third windshield! The second was only a few months old when I got pelted in construction zone by a semi.

I am now even more careful than before, and avoid all large, rock type trucks. So far good results with this one.

Auto windsheilds are hard to make, and you can even get ripples in a windsheild in a brand new car. Unfortunilty that cant be detected in facotry lighting.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_n12_v26/ai_9281678

Just an example on how that leg of the industry works

http://tennessean.com/learn-nashville/archives/05/03/52169219.shtml?Element_ID=52169219

Maybe only ford makes them? wouldnt that be a hooot.

nipper

Glass making for automobiles is pretty interesting (if you are into that sort of stuff). I was in the Carlex plant in Tenn last year. They form glass for Nissan and several other companies. I have seen their name on the side glass windows of newer Subarus. They are part of Japan's Central Glass Co., which you may also see on Subarus. (eg. The Imprezza based vehicles that come from Japan.)

Windshields are 2 layers, typically 1.6 and 2mm thickness. The 2 sheets are run as a pair for proper matching. They are heated and 'slump' into a form to take their shape. The form, or mold, only holds the glass at the edges. The glass is soft and if it touches anything, marks, contamination and imperfections can occur. They are cooled rapidly to create the 'safety glass'. The sheets are separated and the laminate is placed between them, then bonded. The final inspection involves holding the windshild up to this intensely lit huge (eg, 25' x 50') blackboard with a gridwork of white lines. A worker looks thru the windshield at the lines, looking for distortion effects. There are several tests involving strength, how they shatter, retention of glass pcs to the laminate, etc. Something I learned recently is that the viewing area in front of the driver is treated differently. In general, you want the glass to break up into tiny pieces, but this would impair the vision of the driver, so that area is designed to break up into larger pieces so that they can still see.

All in all, high tech stuff.

Commuter