Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale in need of help!

Hey guys!

Well, finally had a problem w/ the Loyale. Seems the shaft and pully the engine fan spins on granaded itself lastnight. I don't know what that shaft is. Is it the water pump? Coolant was leaking bad (I could smell it) at the same time. I want to go over the front of the engine, replace water pump, t belts, idler pullys, reseal the oil pump. Is there any thing I am missing? Any advice would be helpful. This will be the first time I actually work on the engine in this car. Thanks!

The first major repair I did on my loyale was replacing the water pump after the shaft sheared off leaving the mechanical fan flopping around the water pump not rotating. I also did the T belts, but should have replaced the tensioners and cam seals while i had everything apart. I'm not sure what else can and should be replaced up there. Some say to leave the timing covers off, but I still have mine on.

Yeah, I think I'll do the T- belts , idler, and both tensioners. They come in a kit most of the time. Auto parts stores want like $250 for the set. Thats crazy. I found the set on ebay for only $50 plus $9 shipping. Obviously I want to buy that one, but is it gonna suck? I dont want to install it to have it fail in a month. Has anyone used this set off of ebay? The brand is PCI, prefered conponents inc.

Yeah, I think I'll do the T- belts , idler, and both tensioners. They come in a kit most of the time. Auto parts stores want like $250 for the set. Thats crazy. I found the set on ebay for only $50 plus $9 shipping. Obviously I want to buy that one, but is it gonna suck? I dont want to install it to have it fail in a month. Has anyone used this set off of ebay? The brand is PCI, prefered conponents inc.

You should replace both camshaft end seals and the front main seal. Also it is a good time to get the oil pump seals as well. a note about both the water pump and oil pump bolts: Get a tap for them and clean up the threads before reasembly. And don't go too deep with that tap. Don't over tighten the bolts either. They are small and the alloy block doesn't hold threads all that well. 15-22 ft/lbs. tops. I know a book may say more but believe me you don't want to strip them.

That said don't be afraid, it's an easy job.

What can you tell me about the camshaft end seals and the main seal jobs? Is is nessesary? How do I get the seal out without disassembling the motor?

Its necassary because of murphies law. Its only a little extra money and a little extra labor while you are in there, as opposed to alot of labor and little money when they start to leak later.

You are right there so replace them, its preventative maint.

nipper

What can you tell me about the camshaft end seals and the main seal jobs?

Cam seals are easy. remove the cam pully, there are 2 bolts that hold a piece that holds the seal. There is an o-ring that seals the piece, and it goes bad about the same time as the seal.

I have not replaced a front main, haven't had trouble with them. Maybe if youu're over 180K miles. Over 100K, probably good to do the oil pump orings.

Cam seals are easy. remove the cam pully, there are 2 bolts that hold a piece that holds the seal. There is an o-ring that seals the piece, and it goes bad about the same time as the seal.

I have not replaced a front main, haven't had trouble with them. Maybe if youu're over 180K miles. Over 100K, probably good to do the oil pump orings.

On the 60K cycle everything should be changed every other timing belt just to avoid doing it again. If you are doing it yourself and want to play the odds, thats fine, but usually they start leaking at the most inoportune time.

nipper

On the 60K cycle everything should be changed every other timing belt just to avoid doing it again. If you are doing it yourself and want to play the odds, thats fine, but usually they start leaking at the most inoportune time.

nipper

How true... Like my car here on Christmas! :drunk: :drunk:

What can anyone tell me about changing the main seal?

No, the kit does not come with it. Does anyone know where I can find the main seal, the cam seals and the o-rings for the seal plates? What about the O-ring for the water pipe on the pump? Can I just find the right size from the auto store or hardware store? Are they special material?

No, the kit does not come with it. Does anyone know where I can find the main seal, the cam seals and the o-rings for the seal plates? What about the O-ring for the water pipe on the pump? Can I just find the right size from the auto store or hardware store? Are they special material?

Best getting these from https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Jamie (who is on this list). I've seen bad aftermarket seals.

Jamie has good prices.

nipper