Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car shopping - 98ish outback. what should I look for?

I'm shopping for a 98ish outback, 2.5L 5-speed awd. wondering what sort of issues I can expect, common problems, things to look out for, etc.

also I'm wondering what kind of mild modifications can be done to increase power. any easy ECU upgrades for these engines? any major restrictions in the exhaust or is it well balanced?

thanks in advance!

I'm shopping for a 98ish outback, 2.5L 5-speed awd. wondering what sort of issues I can expect, common problems, things to look out for, etc.

Check for HG leaks, CV boot leaks, fuel tank filler pipe rust, torque bind due to viscous coupling failure, for some.

The 2.5 is an interference design. If a seller claims the timing belt was changed, get proof, or to be safe you'll probably be replacing it.

look up headgasket or EJ25, use the search button and you'll find some information that's worthy of knowing prior to looking.

modifying a non-turbo subaru engine for power is functionally a waste of time. if you want to spend alot of money, effort and time working on it to gain very minimal increases for fun and as a hobby then tear it up, but if you really want more power get a turbo. the EJ25's i've ridden in pull very nicely for daily driving duties.

if you are going to get an older Subaru a lot of us would reccoment something with the unburstable 2.2.

:mad::banghead:

Honestly, its only 15% of the Outbacks with bad HG, and that issue is becoming less and less as the time go by.

Make sure the tires match and are of equal age. Check the trannyu fluid on an automatic for color. Make sure there is no fuse in the FWD fuse holder (if its an auto). Drive the car in a tight circle and make sure it goes around smoothly. Also a goo d time to listen for CV joint noise.

nipper

if possible i would shoot for a 2.2. much more reliable overall. i deal with the 2.5 issues every week. bad head gaskets...and now the new trend of problems that seem to be popping up more and more, bad bottom ends (wiping out rod bearings) and cams locking in place due to insufficent oil and size of the cam journal

as a daily i have a 2.2 98 impreza obs with 263,xxx that finally got its first motor