Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 95 legacy has a power steering squeal ,but only when it sets out and it is fairly cold outside , after it warms up it is fine, so i decided to drain the reserve tank and added lucas power steering fluid , or maybe the belt is loose ? it is a new one, is it common to have alittle torque bind in very loose pee gravel ?

ut oh ... having a little torque bind is like being a little pregnant.

First off replace the PS belt. Belts get loose when they are cold, and it may just be time for a belt.

Secondly the TB, at this stage change your tranny fluid (if its an automatic). Make sure all your tires match and are properly inflated.

You may want to insert the FWD fuse to make sure it goes away, this will tell you if there was any damage to the awd unit yet, and if the duty c solenoid is funtioning.

If its a manual, its only a matter of time befroe you need a new Viscous unit (and if you wait too long a center diff). This is of course assuming all your tires match.

nipper

all tires match, it is a automatic tranny, +all the same pressure , , i was going to do a tranny flush anyways, + both diffs, what i mean by alittle tb is stopping the car crank the wheel all the way and turning right slowly , i can feel alittle tb, , ok on the belt ,would you have the part# for the power steering belt, ?

all tires match, it is a automatic tranny, +all the same pressure , , i was going to do a tranny flush anyways, + both diffs, what i mean by alittle tb is stopping the car crank the wheel all the way and turning right slowly , i can feel alittle tb, , ok on the belt ,would you have the part# for the power steering belt, ?

my 95 had a 'little bit' of torque bind when i bought it . it was my first AWD 4WD car and thought it was standard. it ran that way a long time from 73k to 167k, amazing, until it blew out a rear main seal on the tranny, then reverse went when the seal replacing idiot didn't add any fluid. mine would only bind at full lock, back off just a little no problem.

but i think, and this is just my opinion, that regular fluid changes will reduce the TB amount if not eliminate, lengthen the time you have before it fails and in the long run cost way less.

change the fliud in the trans, check the fluid in the steering. ( i know ,you've already done this, but it always amazes me when i read that some light has come on and they ask for advice before they look at the car. i've done it, probably will again)

did you say you had done some work on the steering?

Is it OK to use power steering fluid in the suby's? The ones I have call for ATF in the power steering unit.

When you say 'a little torque bind in very loose pee gravel' do you mean it binds in this gravel but is fine on pavement?

And more importantly, why are you driving in urine?

Is it OK to use power steering fluid in the suby's? The ones I have call for ATF in the power steering unit.

When you say 'a little torque bind in very loose pee gravel' do you mean it binds in this gravel but is fine on pavement?

aside from a few additives p/s fluid and tranny fluid are interchangable as far as the P/S pump is concerned. I wouldnt use P/s steering fluid in my tranny though (unless it was an emergency).

nipper

[...]looked at it tonight , loose belt,

If this is the car you replaced the timing belt on, you might want to make sure that the crank bolt isn't loose. A PS belt that loosens by itself can be due to it not being properly tensioned to begin with, but it can also be because the crank pulley has loosened or is failing (bad isolation rubber between the halves).