Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pump broke off in block, ea-81fixed!

so i got the crank pulley off. but ran in to a bigger problem. if i had a picture it would help me explain it all. i have part of my oil pump broke off in my block and not sure how to go about removing it. 1. i don't want to mess up the mateing serface on the block. 2. i don't have a whole lot of tools to work with right now. a hammer and chisel is about it. so any ea-81 masters around tonight?

i have part of my oil pump broke off in my block and not sure how to go about removing it.

Been a long time since I touched anything older than an EA82...

A rough / starter idea:

Drill & tap into some part of the broken piece, or catch a bolt head on the edge of a passageway in the stuck piece. Use a pry bar against a nut on the bolt.

You may need 2 or 3 locations to work it out. It must come straight out or it will bind.

Turning the piece might help. I remember some of them being looser & tighter at different angles.

is this broken off as if the oil pump had been glued onto the front of engine?

or is it broken off inside of the bore for the round section of the pump?

yeah the round section is broke off from the rest of the pump. give me a sec and i will get some real pics up, i forgot about the roommate's cam:lol:. i guess you could say it was almost as if someone glued it to the block. pic 1(left) is whats stuck in the block. 2(right) i whats came off the motor.

post-12465-136027620081_thumb.jpg

post-12465-136027620085_thumb.jpg

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a high mileage 85 hatch....

easier ifengine is out of vehicle or at least lifted. mine was stock.

I basically used a big ol' screwdriver and pried and prodded on the busted off piece, continuously removing all the pieces that came off as I worked it back and forth. what's left in the block should be able to spin inside the bore, so it's just a lot of time and patience of trying to pry it out a bit and trying to spin it.

I bet I worked 3-4 hours on it. came out cleanly, and put a new pump in no problem. you do have to be careful of the outer machines surface, but it's defintely do-able.

re-looking at your pics, you at least have part of the piece outside the hole, so you should be able to tap on that piece to get it to spin...

mcbrat, that what i'm going to do. i already broke a piece, and now a whole lot more has to come off, only if i had a big hammer and a sharper chisel. i think the peice inside the bore does spine the tinnest amount. now i get to stay up late and get up at 5am. is the metal the oil pump is made of softer then the block?