Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to manually engage 4WD? And ball joint question

:lol:

Of course!!! Now I was messing around with the solenoid vacuum lines again and I went for a drive and it seems to be binding in turns and the car needs some gas to roll with the wheels turned trying to park. So I though ok great 4WD does work! The bulb must be blown. All the vacuum lines are plugged in as normal right now. I tried pulling forward and back and rolling etc, but now I can't get it OUT of 4WD :lol:

I still dont know which line put in 4WD, but thats something I can mess with later - at least I know it works. But now how do I get it out??

they posted some good info and pic's earlier about the vacuum lines, i'd look over those earlier posts in this thread. vaccuum on the right lines should get you out. but your push button on the stick might need to be properly depressed for it to actuate properly. i can't recall if they are momentary switches or toggle type? if it's momentary i'm wrong, but if it's a two position switch then it'll need to be "unlocked" for it to stay that way probably.

i can't recall if they are momentary switches or toggle type? if it's momentary i'm wrong, but if it's a two position switch then it'll need to be "unlocked" for it to stay that way probably.

The push buttons are toggle type. With the button flush (or close to it) with the rest of the shifter nob it is supposed to be disengaged. With the button depressed it is supposed to be engaged, and the button should stay depressed until you press it again.

To get it out of 4WD, you should be able to just reverse the vacuum lines on the vacuum solenoids. After that, you may have to drive backwards to help remove any binding in the drivetrain. You'll probably hear a loud clunk when it does disengage.

As an aside, if your pushbutton operates backwards, ie, pushed in is 2WD, not 4WD, you just need to reverse the vacuum lines on the solenoids going to the tranny.

-Dave

I guess I just need to play around with the vacuum lines again - I was just attaching, waiting and seeing if the light came on then trying the other one, then I just put it back to stock. Therefore, I have no clue which one actually put it in 4WD. The times I drove it in between too I never felt binding , then poof, got in and I felt it :confused:

I guess my question is that I need to put vacuum to one line to put it in and then I can return it to stock setup, then the other line needs to be connected to take it out and THEN I need to reverse the car and roll it around a bit to get it out?

ok you have to take your vac line and put it to the disengage side (bypass the solenoid) and then drive it in a straight line. putingt it back to stock will do nothing either way with no working solenoids.

your feed line is the plastic line with the rubber hose on the end, and your "on, and off" are the 2 lines that fit on to the green inlets on the solenoids. plug the plastic line into one of them and drive it,if it stays the same then mark it "on", and if it pops out of 4 then mark it "off".(that is if it is still in 4 right now)

the point is that the stock setup is a 2 way switch on a sealed system. your switch doesnt work, so now all your solenoids are good for is keeping a seal on your vac system, so you HAVE to bypass them for anything to happen, either way.