Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sick of replacing CD-Players

So I goto San Francisco State University, and parking is slim, real slim. and I love my car, I just don't love it enough to pay for a parking permit that allows me to park in a parking lot further away from where I live when I can just move my car for street sweeping. Ok, and included in this scarce parking is really unlit areas that theives try to steal things from cars in.

Tonight I had my 3rd CD player since attending SFSU. currently a sophmore in spring semester. that's 3 cd players in 2 years.

OK, after the first 2 I thought I had learned. Of course I didn't. my car was broken into. the faceplate was locked in the glove box. I come back, a window broken, the glovebox is broken, and everything is stolen (only thing valulable is the CD player). so anyways. I cardboard up the window in hopes that I can find a cheap glass replacement place like I did in so-cal (60$ installed). filed a police report after the 3 thefts.

Now, I don't care anymore. after 3 thefts God is showing me he doesn't want me to have music in my car. that's fine. I barely listen to CDs anyways. I like to listen to the radio for ambience. ok. so I have this idea to just get a cassette player for my Car. and just use a cassette line-in for long trips and I can just use my Ipod.

Seriously, anyone think that an OLD cassette player would get stolen?

my only problem is, how the hell would I install one of these? what would be awesome is if there was a later year stock radio (then 87) that could be fitted directly to where the current hole is. my 87 didn't come with a cassette, only a radio.

can anyone point me in the right direction to getting this done? thanks. and thanks again for reading it all. my god. an 87 subaru. people must be desperate.

In all of my cars I leave the stock tape deck installed but disconnected, and get a separate audio amplifier that is wired to the speakers. The amplifier can be a cheap one, and installed in a hidden location such as up under the dash, or under the drivers seat. Then install a 3mm headphone jack that inputs to the amplifier, and a toggle switch to turn it on and off in the center console. Now you can plug a portable radio, mp3 player, or cd player and have it play through the cars speakers, and bring it with you each time you leave the car. You'll have better quality audio for less money, and you'll never have to replace the window or cd player again.

i think i know what im gonna do, the question is rather, how to do it

right now there's a giant gap where a radio should be in my car, what would i need to fill that gap? what would be the cheapest route? im preferring the line-in via ipod now so i don't even have to bother with a cassette. so... where could i obtain something that would fit that area, and perferably, be easy to self install. did they even make radio stereos with line-in?

i think i know what im gonna do, the question is rather, how to do it

right now there's a giant gap where a radio should be in my car, what would i need to fill that gap? what would be the cheapest route? im preferring the FM transmitter via ipod now so i don't even have to bother with a cassette. so... where could i obtain something that would fit that area, and perferably, be easy to self install.

Yeah, I'd either look for a factory one or a cheapie aftermarket (if you just need a little more wattage). Then, as long as you take the FM transmitter with you, you'll be good. I don't think anyone is going to steal an am/fm stocker, I wouldn't even go with a cassette... that may get stolen.

Just stay outta the tenderloin and you'll be good. (speaking from experience)

I wouldn't use the FM transmitter if you are "serious" about listening to music. They cause a very significant reduction in audio quality, and it's difficult to find a frequency to use without any interference. A small audio amplifier is very easy to wire up, and you can get a panel mount audio input jack for it at radio shack. They also sell cheap 1/2 DIN equalizers on ebay that have an audio input jack on the front. They look cheap enough that nobody will steal them, and they are sometimes available with a built in amplifier that is about as powerful as a stock stereo. I prefer to use them with a separate amplifier. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PYRAMID-714EX-7-BAND-GRAPHIC-EQUALIZER-W-SUBWOOFER_W0QQitemZ250075340446QQihZ015QQcategoryZ79841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyone perchance know which DIN years fit an 87 subaru GL?

and im going back to the line-in idea... could this be accomplished easily?

I wouldn't use the FM transmitter if you are "serious" about listening to music. They cause a very significant reduction in audio quality, and it's difficult to find a frequency to use without any interference....

... They look cheap enough that nobody will steal them...

Come on, the FM transmitter isn't that bad, I used mine all around, in the middle of nowhere and in D.C., never had a problem finding a decent moderately clear channel. No where as good a an aux in, but it worked well; and if you're "serious" about listening to music, you're not going to be listening to thru a 35W stock stereo, if you're crasily worried about the audio quality, mount the stereo in glove box, kind of a PITA to use, but hey.

Don't be too sure that wouldn't get stolen, it's got too many buttons on it... wouldn't last long in a lot of places.

That's my point- if you want good sound quality ditch the stock stereo, but don't buy a better one either! An MP3 player with a direct line into a well hidden real amplifier you can have quasi-audiophile quality sound for less money than an aftermarket stereo, and with nothing to get stolen. You can even retain the use of the stock stereo if you hook it up properly. I have tried several brands of FM transmitters, and they basically eliminate many of the subtle sounds in music like Pink Floyd and Beethoven.

Come on, the FM transmitter isn't that bad, I used mine all around, in the middle of nowhere and in D.C., never had a problem finding a decent moderately clear channel. No where as good a an aux in, but it worked well; and if you're "serious" about listening to music, you're not going to be listening to thru a 35W stock stereo, if you're crasily worried about the audio quality, mount the stereo in glove box, kind of a PITA to use, but hey.

Another option- if you really want a real in dash stereo you can take the stock stereo, remove the faceplate carefully, and glue all of the buttons in place so that it looks complete. You can then mount the nice stereo recessed about 1/2 inch in the DIN slot, and then snap the factory faceplate in place in front of it. You can then remove it when you're driving, and replace it when you park. I doubt that a theif would even realize that you had a nice stereo, even if they had broken into your car already. You never know what people might steal though. I heard of a stock AM only stereo from a 70s VW getting stolen, and my dad had a $12 (new price) analog FM radio stolen from his Ford Ranger a few years ago. You couldn't sell that for enough to buy a can of Mountain Dew!

I was suggesting a trip to the junkyard to look at all sorts of OTHER cars, that came with cupholders, and find one that is the same width as a standard DIN sized stereo.. then replace the hole your old CD player left with that cupholder.. and go ahead and wire an incognito amp with a line in to it, like you seem to be leaning towards.

Just find a toyota or mazda or ford or whatever, and look for cupholders that are the same size as the stereo.. voila!!

I've had a couple CD players stolen in the past couple years. What I did for my turbowagon was I bought a Sony Cassette deck on eBay for about $30.

Good quality deck, and if it gets stolen, I'm out $30 and the time I spent to install it.

I'm also putting in an RF CD Changer that I've had. They can usually be found for cheap if you wait around. Nice thing about the one I have, is the CD changer's input is RCA audio cable. Rig up a switch, and hook up an RCA-Headphone jack adapter, and you can plug anything into it.

A good option if you don't care about sound quality at all is to scour junkyards for stock AM/FM/Cassette decks. The one that was in my 88 was decent quality.

If you want a cheap tape deck i have one that was in my car when i got it. Its a kenewood from the early 90s that worked fine when pulled. 20 plus shipping and its yours. I dont have a book on it i dont think though :( You also might have to make it fit your dash as im not sure its DIN and im def sure it isnt double DIN.

get a stock stereo, any one from an ea82 will fit without modification... they make them with a tape deck... although that's probably too attractive to your thieves if they're willing to break into a car to steal a stereo with no faceplate...

use an fm transmitter and take it with you when you leave...

don't lock the car (unless you have a large stock of extra windows) and leave nothing valuable in it...

if they steal the stock tape deck then go the hidden amp and line-in jack route...

--Spiffy